• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

Forgotten regional chains

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Why was it there was always that one strip shopping center where the anchor / restaurant always seemed to be changing / going out of business ?

And it was also always in the Town Next DoorTM.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Burger Chef (and Jeff)
Stuckey's
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I forgot to mention Ann & Hope Department Stores - fuzzy history says that Sam Walton learned the discount retail business from the owners.

Also Apex department stores known to travellers on Rt. 95 by its odd building in downtown Pawtucket, RI.

1132Apex_Building-med.jpg

www.artinruins.com

steel

Cyburbian
What about Red Barn? Are there any of those any more?

In Buffalo they had Henry's which was like a local McDonalds. I think it is gone now

Floridays

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Child World toy stores. Church's fried chicken. JC Fox Dept. stores. Soon every chain in the world will be on this list except for WalMart, your lord and master.

Actually we do have Church's fried chicken down here.

Hardee's
Roy Rogers

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I was going to say Dog N Suds, but just saw one a short time ago in Mantague, MI. I thought they went belly up decades ago. Do any Cyburbians know of any other Dog n Suds?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Maister said:
... Do any Cyburbians know of any other Dog n Suds?
In my fair city we had 1 or 2 drive-ins, and those sites have been cleared off.

[OT]Their bottled diet root beer tasted pretty good as I remember it.[/OT]

GISgal

Cyburbian
Marc's Big Boy. Used to stop at the one in Steven's Point, WI for their open face sandwiches.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
GISgal said:
Marc's Big Boy. Used to stop at the one in Steven's Point, WI for their open face sandwiches.

Regarding the Wisconsin quarter, it's not a bad design. I've seen worse, as a coin collector. The best one, so far, has been the Rhode Island one.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
steel said:
What about Red Barn? Are there any of those any more?

In Buffalo they had Henry's which was like a local McDonalds. I think it is gone now

There's a few Red Barns left, from what I heard. Most of the buildings are still there. In Buffalo, and even here in Cleveland, old Red Barn restaurants always seem to be florist shops now.

Henry's Hamburgers died in the 1970s.

Most Carrols outlets (the "most" will be explained in a bit), a fast food chain that was based in Buffalo, were all converted to Burger King outlets. The BK franchisee in Buffalo is Carrols Corporation (I think they're out of Syracuse now), so it was really just a name change.

You know how Buffalo-area chain restaurants often have one branch in some far-flung location, like the Ted's Hot Dogs in Tempe, or Santora's Pizza in West Palm Beach? Well, there are still some Carrols restaurants out there, direct decendants of the old Buffalo Carrols. They've kept the same old logo, too. Where are they?

In FINLAND.

carrols.jpg

carrols08.jpg

Markitect

Cyburbian
GISGal said:

Used to stop at the one in Appleton on the way "Up North."

Maister said:
Do any Cyburbians know of any other Dog n Suds?

I ate at a Dog n Suds outside Indianapolis a few years ago. And one just went out of business in Richmond, Illinois.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Gone, But Not Forgotten

Coco's - mid-level restaurant chain in the west - great coffee in the pre-Starbucks era on every corner and niche became the norm. Good food, too.

Good Earth - chain of "natural" food restaurants also in the west - solid fare at a good price

National Shirt Shops - a fixture in most 70's malls - bought my 1st real "professional wardrobe" there; likely a victim to the wholesale "dressing down" trend in business.

BKM

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Burger Chef (and Jeff)
Stuckey's
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips

Arthur Treachers-not quite as good as H. Salt Esquire, Fish and Chips.

steel

Cyburbian
What about White Tower Hamburgers. This a was a chain (not to be confused with White Castle) that used to build on the tinyest of urban lots. I will get some more pics of them when I get home. You will find a few of these buildings still around. They have a very interesting architectural history.

TelwayHamburgers.jpg

Racine_pizza_800.jpg

Last edited:

Markitect

Cyburbian
steel said:
What about White Tower Hamburgers. This a was a chain (not to be confused with White Castle) that used to build on the tinyest of urban lots. I will get some more pics of them when I get home. You will find a few of these buildings still around. They have a very interesting architectural history.

White Tower Hamburgers originated in Milwaukee, but they are no longer around. Check out this webpage from the Wisconsin Historical Society for more info.

Milwaukee_white_800.jpg

kms

Cyburbian
The Pittsburgh area had Winky's hamburger shops, which closed in the 1980's, I think. There is an Isaly's in my town, but it is for sale. The owner has a sign in the window that is a complaint about regulations and small businesses. My husband's cousin owned another Isaly's in our community; it closed in the past ten years.

We also had Murphy's and Murphy Mart discount department stores. Ames bought them, and you know the rest of the story.

I remember seeing a White Tower in Pittsburgh.

Floridays

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Arthur Treachers-not quite as good as H. Salt Esquire, Fish and Chips.

There are a few Arthur Treachers here but they are found in the same location as Miami Subs and Nathan's Hot Dogs -- kinda like a "combo" restaurant.

steel

Cyburbian
I think the Galleria Mall in Buffalo has an Arthur Treachers. These placecs might jsut as well be a new chain though. They to not compare to the old time A Treachers fish and chips

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Don't forget the cool "guido" clothing chains of the 80's - Chess King and Nella. (or are these just so local that only I remember them?)

Anderson Little menswear and Roberts childrens' clothing.

Recently, Bess Eaton Donuts which have all been transformed into Tim Hortons.

All the Ponderosa restaurants have closed here, although I think they still exist in other parts of the country.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
All the Ponderosa restaurants have closed here, although I think they still exist in other parts of the country.

They're still here (if you like food poisoning :victory: ).

Anybody else remember the "Ground Round"? They had Bozo the clown on thursdays. Free popcorn too.

steel

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
They're still here (if you like food poisoning :victory: ).

Anybody else remember the "Ground Round"? They had Bozo the clown on thursdays. Free popcorn too.

Ground Round had peanut shells on the floor

adaptor

As late as last year there were still Ground Rounds to be found in Northern Ohio.

Also from that neck of the woods but not a restaurant were the Lawson's stores -- precursor to Dairy Mart (now out of business as well) and any number of 7-11 types. Their goofy orange juice ads had a western "mule train" type story song: "Roll on Big O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o! Get that juice up to Lawson's in four- tee hours."

If Dan gets to E 40 th and St Clair or so in Cleveland he will find a Red Barn converted to a Vietnamese restaurant.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
As of a few years ago, there was still a Ground Round in Dubuque, Iowa.

Anybody remember King's Food Host? You ordered by phone from your table. They had great fried cheese balls called "Cheese Frenchies."

It would be nice to have Sonic in Michigan.

I worked at a Whataburger in Fort Worth for a few weeks back in the mid-80's. Still love them Whataburgers. Can still hear Mel Tillis singing their jingle.

Henry's was the first fast food chain in my home town (Cedar Rapids IA). I loved it, they had amazing fish sandwiches.

I remember when Hardee's took over Sandy's. A sad day in burgerdom. There are no Hardee's in West Michigan that I have noticed. I don't miss them.

Lee's Famous Recipe Fried Chicken and Minnie Pearl's Chicken. Yum!

Butter Burgers are alive and well at your local Culver's Restaurant.

BKM

Cyburbian
Markitect said:
White Tower Hamburgers originated in Milwaukee, but they are no longer around. Check out this webpage from the Wisconsin Historical Society for more info.

Milwaukee_white_800.jpg

My hometown STILL has one POWERS' HAMBURGERS branch open-very similar to White Tower. Typically, they were near office districts (downtown) or industrial plants. Yum....Urk, my arteries are closing. http://www.hollyeats.com/Powers.htm

Wow: an internet discussion board thread all about Powers' Hamburgers: :) http://jordan.fortwayne.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=food;action=display;num=1092327266

steel

Cyburbian

BKM

Cyburbian
steel said:
That Powers burger might be an old White Tower.

Nope. It dates from the same era, though. The chain has been around for a LONGGG time

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
the north omaha star said:
A&W I'm starting to see them pop up in the Baltimore metro. My grandmother used to treat my brother and I to root beer floats on payday. I remember I used to be fascinated when I would see the order ticket be spun around that thing. The only A&W in north Omaha became a used car store which then became a Walgreens.
I was hoping someone would say A&W rootbeer joints. I miss those frothy mugs and great hot dogs.

Markitect

Cyburbian
Kohl's Food Store/Emporium - Originally, the Kohl family of Milwaukee operated a chain of grocery stores in Wisconsin (and maybe Illinois??) before they got into the department stores. Eventually both were sold off to different companies and the department stores took off nationally, while the grocery stores which remained regional, couldn't stand up against other grocery chains in the area. The last Kohl's Food Stores closed in August 2003.