• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Form Code

Masswich

Cyburbian
So you hear a lot about form code nowadays, and I have been looking into using it in my neck of the woods. My questions:

1. Is it really all that different from a zoning code and design guidelines that include lots of pictures? It seems that its a matter of degree, not essence.

2. Has anyone looked into any legal issues relating to it? In a home rule state we are probably better off than some people but I can already predict the challenge to a form code that it does not fit into our zoning act.

Any ideas/experiences you can provide are welcome.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
At least one old guy here has no idea of what this is. A brief description would help.

In terms of home rule, there could be a problem. Most home rule acts say that if the legislature has spoken on the topic, you must follow the enabling legislation. Your state may be different on this.