• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Frame cities versus brick cities

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You'll know what I mean after you see the following list.

Frame cities

Kansas City
Buffalo
Cleveland
Detroit
Atlanta
Indianapolis
San Francisco

Brick cities

Chicago
St. Louis
Denver
Houston (suburbs)
Dallas (suburbs)
Toronto
London

BKM

Cyburbian
frame versus brick

What;s weird about Indianapolis is that during the 60s, they went through a brick rancher phase. Knoxville, tennessee is like that too: older frame houses with a belt of 60s brick ranch housing.

Overall, I prefer brick cities and, believe it or not, stucco ones (California). To me, frame cities look shabby very quickly. Seattle is a perfect example. Brick and stucco seems to hold up to the weather better.

My home town, Fort Wayne, Indiana, is definitely a wooden (or vinyl/hardee plank/ faux veneer today) city.

BKM

Cyburbian
also

And, San Francisco is not really a frame city. Much of the building stock is sided with stucco. Brick is uncommon because of the seismic considerations.