• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

GIS Free GIS data?

docwatson

Cyburbian
OK, after confirming that our MPO has downloadable data sets online and setting up an account last week, I log in to find out that there is a special waiver one needs to electronically "sign" and apparently have confirmed by a staff person or process before gaining access, at any rate its not automatic ... so now its the weekend and I'm trying to make a map for a class I am taking! Leave it to American bureaucracy! :) If anyone's online, any leads where I might find free downloadable basic data (roads, political boundaries, rivers) for Colorado? I seem to recall downloading from some places on the internet previously. The class is online/out of state so no luck getting it from the school. One of the counties has data, but it costs per shapefile ...

jacciz

Go to the US Census website. Go to TIGER files. They have lots of data with political boundaries, water, centerlines, etc.

docwatson

Cyburbian
Thanks, all! I got the project done (ultimately ended up using shapefiles from a couple of the cities in the region that had it online, combining them to cover enough of the region).

However, this might be an interesting thread / list of resources to have up on Cyburbia as a resource for GIS users?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Most states have a GIS portal where you can download extensive information. This often includes aerial imagery and special coverages for the state (land cover, geological or environmental data, etc.).

Blide

Cyburbian
One thing I discovered relatively recently is that some jurisdictions put their GIS data on a web server that Arc can access directly. Fortunately for me, the adjacent counties north of here have done that so I can just connect to their server to bring in parcels, aerials, and whatnot if I need. I think the GIS department where I work is too stingy to do that themselves though.

Yane

call their county office and tell them you are a student maybe they can send you info for free