• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Free speech in Publicly funded - Private space.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I tend to agree, but what about this? The city doesn't give cash, but say the mall is part of a TIF, or they get some other incentive.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Agreed.

And did you see the case (I think Portland, left coast in any event) where a public library sold engraved brick pavers? A gentleman bought a slew of bricks, and had each one engraved with a religious message. The freedom-from-religion folks countered by buying their own bricks, having them engraved with anti-religious staements. All the bricks are prominantly installed in the walks leading to the library, and the Library Board had to mount a "disclaimer" plaque.

*sigh*

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Interesting Debate, raises more questions than answers:

Try this scenerio-I own large mostly commercial office/retail mixed-use development, I have several "town greens" of connected open space. If I "dedicate" the ground to the local juristiction than it is completely public--And then could host protests of the Fortune 500 Businesses housed in my development.

Why would I give up my rights to control the activities within my development.

The other stuff regarding "public good" is not lost on me.

Makes me think twice about any partnership.