• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Free Speech?

I'm sure most people have heard about what the Dixie Chicks said while they were in London during their European tour. Regardless of how you feel about the President and his war stance, I think all the Dixie Chicks did was exercise their First Amendment rights.....something that is quintessentially American. Why are they being punished by country music stations and now the South Carolina legislature for this?

SGB

Cyburbian
In times of military conflict, too many are too willingly to forget our hard-fought right as Americans to speak our minds.

PG's TR quote says it all.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Your freedom of speech does not the guarantee you will not be subject to backlash for excercising that right ;)

We as Americans are simply excersing our right to call her a fat unpatriotic pig, and ban their music from radio stations.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
They are being punished by the radio stations and the fans because country music fans tend to be more conservative. After all this is the same crowd that laps up tunes by Toby Keith (Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue) and Darryl Worley (Have You Forgotten). I think that she has the right to say whatever she wants, but should not complain when radio stations refuse to play their music. People need to realize if they say something unpopular, there will be fallout from some people.

As for the South Carolina legislature, they should keep out of matters like this. This resolution ranks up there with freedom fries.

What gets me about this is that the same people who are calling for radio stations to refuse to play the Dixie Chicks are the same ones who had a fit when some radio stations refused to play “Have You Forgotten.”

Mike D. said:
Your freedom of speech does not the guarantee you will not be subject to backlash for excercising that right ;)

We as Americans are simply excersing our right to call her a fat unpatriotic pig, and ban their music from radio stations.
I agree.....to an extent.....;)...but to force them by resolution to perform a concert as an apology for exercising that right...how do you justify that?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This all harkens back to the Sinead O'Connor / Pope controversy. I do think that she had the right to say it, and others have a right to alter their behaviour to boycott them, but to encourage a free concert is simply rediculous.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I can't believe SC's legislature would react to a comment by the Dixie Chicks. I think people should ignore the Dixie Chicks' political views just like any other celebrities but they do have the right to say them . But that's country music for you - it thinks it is everything "American."

Jeff

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

I agree.....to an extent.....;)...but to force them by resolution to perform a concert as an apology for exercising that right...how do you justify that?
Well that I think is just dumb, what kind of power over the Dixies does SC have anyway?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Thank you, SGB

The Chicks are a cool group and as soon as i can get to a store i plan to go buy one if not more of their CDs, they have the right to speak out just like anyone else.

biscuit

Cyburbian
There's no explaining it, it's the South Carolina House of Reps.....perhaps the most reactionary, knee jerked and petty grouping of people in the state. And that's really saying something. As for my personal opinion, let the fans decide the price for the Dixie Chicks speaking their minds. It is not the place of conservative pandering politicians who see themselves as lording over a partician governmental system (And a lot of them do) to demand apologies of private citizens.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
So I wonder how many people are going to boycott watching the Oscars since many of the actors (particularly the presenters that have been chosen) have been extremely vocal about not supporting the war?

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Two things:

I am ok with the Dixie Chicks saying what they want, as long as they say the same thing to the crowd in Dallas or Houston.

Interesting that they waited til they were out of Country...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
So I wonder how many people are going to boycott watching the Oscars since many of the actors (particularly the presenters that have been chosen) have been extremely vocal about not supporting the war?
People watch the Oscars? wow. I just see the highlights, no use in seeing which overpaid, big headed star won an award for being able to fake it so well.

:)

I think the chubby Dixie Chick got it wrong though, wasn't GW born in CT?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rule 1. You don't badmouth your country or president overseas. Yes, the little Dixie has freedom of speech in the US. However, it is my understanding that there is no constitution or constitutional right of free speech in the UK. Doesn't the UK still practice a'priori censorship? Can one of you subjects of the UK give us a accuracy check on this issue?

I agree with the gkmo62u; try pulling that crap in Houston Little Dixie. They are still cute as a button though.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
TexasPlanner said:

People watch the Oscars? wow.
bturk said:

Just fags. (sorry fags)
My former boss takes the Monday off from work after the oscars....he has a party bigger than some Super Bowl parties. I've never gone. :)

He also takes every April 15 off to do his taxes...I've never understood people that wait until the deadline to do them...

Edit: Oh, yeah....he's not a fag (sorry fags).

Habanero

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

My former boss takes the Monday off from work after the oscars....he has a party bigger than some Super Bowl parties. I've never gone. :)

He also takes every April 15 off to do his taxes...I've never understood people that wait until the deadline to do them...

Edit: Oh, yeah....he's not a fag (sorry fags).
with your boss, I wouldn't apologize to fags (sorry fags) for him not bieng in the clube.. :)

side note: never seen the boss man, if he's a hottie, do post a pic!;)

NHPlanner

Staff member
TexasPlanner said:
side note: never seen the boss man, if he's a hottie, do post a pic!;)
Do you mean my former boss that likes the Oscars or my current boss the former Kansas City Chiefs running back? :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

Do you mean my former boss that likes the Oscars or my current boss the former Kansas City Chiefs running back? :)
Oscar's boss, I'm sure the KC man can't be that bad.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
What is the deal with this line? I don't get it. Is it supposed to be funny, offensive or both? Really.
I'll Pm you.

NHPlanner

Staff member
TexasPlanner said:

[ot]Oscar's boss, I'm sure the KC man can't be that bad.
Oscar boss: no pics on my computer...did a google image search on his last name and got some interesting results though.....(EDIT a bunch of bad links...kept the interesting "one")

:) I had no idea that his last name was as common as it is apparently in Germany. (can anyone tell it's been a slow day today?)

And my current boss would be:

and at a golf tournament last summer...[/ot]

nerudite

Cyburbian
Man... your current boss is hot, NH! Too bad about the short shirt sleeves with the tie... but otherwise yummy!

Habanero

Cyburbian
do you have pictures on your desk of your boss, like your wife has pictures on hers of prudence? that's really swell-
;)

NHPlanner

Staff member
TexasPlanner said:
do you have pictures on your desk of your boss, like your wife has pictures on hers of prudence? that's really swell-
;)
Both pics of my boss are from our website and the NH Planners Assn website/newsletter. I only have pics of Erica and Kylie on my desk! ;)

And the prudence pic is not on my wife's desk...it's on her co-worker's (who framed it by the way!). :p

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NHPlanner said:
And the prudence pic is not on my wife's desk...it's on her co-worker's (who framed it by the way!). :p

boiling rabbit alert!

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
Man... your current boss is hot, NH! Too bad about the short shirt sleeves with the tie... but otherwise yummy!
And happily married with 2 kids. :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
nerudite said:

I can't stand wearing long sleeves, drives me crazy.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Short sleeve dress shirts are fine, just not with a tie. Unless you are an engineer, where it is required to keep your P.E. certification.