• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Freedom Fries are....

Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast are....

• Retarded.

Votes: 43 93.5%
  • Patriotic.

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone else think this is beyond retarded? call me crazy, but this reminds me of sixth grade girls refusing to talk to each other because one friend voted for someone else to be class president. why are they wasting time on this crap?

Do you really think the French give a damn if we change the names of American food with the French prefix? DUHH!!!!

donk

Cyburbian
This took me a minute to get.

Besides, FF should be called Begian fries as they are almost the national food, right in there with waffles, chicon/endives, chocolate, beer and pickled pears.

Next will be an embargo on fine wines and chanel hand bags and "cordon bleu" chefs and chicken.

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just call them Chips. (And then chips are crisps)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Thank God that our elected representatives take the time to focus on the issues that truly matter. I'm proud that they have not stooped to pandering to those special interest groups who want a balanced budget, decent housing, good schools, corporate reform and other lefty pie-in-the-sky wishes. Instead they have done the peoples business by taking on issues that matter to our great nation...like unpatriotic side dishes.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I heard a funny skit on the radio today where they were calling french toast "freedom bread waffles" and french dips "liberty dips".

I don't even want to know what french kissing would be.

Do people now contract Freedom Measels? Are the dogs in the K9 unit Freedom Shepards? Well, if we're trying for alliteration, i guess they'd be Great Measels. :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would feel like an ass going into a restaurant and asking for a side order of freedom fries.

What is even lamer is all these idiots who are dumping french wine out. You already bought the wine, the French have your money, do you really think that they care if you dump it in the streets?

Last edited:
jtfortin said:
What is even lamer is all these idiots who are dumping french wine out. You already bought the wine, the French have your mony, do you really think that they care if you dump it in the streets?
They'll have to pry my Lancome eyeliner out of my cold dead hands. :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hehe well im drinking all my Fench wine posthaste ;-) what i want does not go on sale again till Nov so i wont have to worry about buying it

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Congress must have forgetten that France helped us expell the British (Lafayette), design our new capital (L'Enfant) and gave us the Statue of Liberty.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Oh! IT'S NOT A JOKE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
come ON!!!! That kind of attitude is so childish.... I can barely believe it!
Freedom Fries, pfff who invented that? the short bus kids?

Why don't people wise up a bit and worry about things that are worth worrying about...

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
donk said:

Next will be an embargo on fine wines and chanel hand bags and "cordon bleu" chefs and chicken.
NOOOO!!! Not my French wines!!!

Seriously, this is so asinine. Just wait until other foreign countries boycott OUR products.

BKM

Cyburbian
But, Mud Princess: What does the United States produce anymore that anyone wants? Cars? Please! Food? Its all genetically-altered, so? Wine? Chileans and Australians do it cheaper (and better). Software? Being quickly off-loaded to Indian software labs that can do it for 1/3 of the price.

I guess we do manufacture mighty good weapon systems! Just give away a MOABs as teasers to corrupt third world dictators, and like crack cocaine, they are hooked. Plenty of jobs for all!

Habanero

Cyburbian
BKM said:
But, Mud Princess: What does the United States produce anymore that anyone wants? Cars? Please! Food? Its all genetically-altered, so? Wine? Chileans and Australians do it cheaper (and better). Software? Being quickly off-loaded to Indian software labs that can do it for 1/3 of the price.

I guess we do manufacture mighty good weapon systems! Just give away a MOABs as teasers to corrupt third world dictators, and like crack cocaine, they are hooked. Plenty of jobs for all!
Hey now, don't knock Mondovi, Sterling, or Coppolla(sp?)- it isn't that bad for US wine! :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The whole thing is out right silly!
A couple weeks ago at the DC wine fest there was no lack of "tasters" for French wines.

Runner

Cyburbian
Agreed that the fuss over the fries may be a little silly.

However, Mrs. Runner and I will be expressing our dissatisfaction with our wallet. Our money will go to purchase fine American wines with a few Australian and even Spanish wines thrown in occasionally. The west coast provides us all the fine wine options we need and under the circumstances we are happy to Buy American.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Runner said:
Agreed that the fuss over the fries may be a little silly.

However, Mrs. Runner and I will be expressing our dissatisfaction with our wallet. Our money will go to purchase fine American wines with a few Australian and even Spanish wines thrown in occasionally. The west coast provides us all the fine wine options we need and under the circumstances we are happy to Buy American.
Please also consider the fine Sangioveses and Chiantis from Italy, and remember that the best thing to accompany any wine is Wisconsin cheese!

Runner

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Please also consider the fine Sangioveses and Chiantis from Italy, and remember that the best thing to accompany any wine is Wisconsin cheese!
Done, they will be added to the approved shopping list for occasional consumption!
:)

The Irish One

Wisconsin cheese is all that and California wine is great as well BUT I still like to vary my purchases and there are french cheeses and wine that I really like and will continue to buy.

There are some great Chilean wines.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Attention: French Canadians will now be referred to as "Freedom Canadians"

I don't like the idea of the House of Reps. cafeteria changing the name. Some diner owner can do whatever he wants but our government shouldn't be this babyish. If things are French then they're French (I know French fries aren't). We didn't play this game with our worst enemies in WWII, or the Soviet Union. I know no one is making me say "freedom fries," but it just reminds me of some weird governmental speech control. We've got bigger problems than the French.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Seabishop said:
My wife will be thrilled...

We didn't play this game with our worst enemies in WWII, or the Soviet Union. I know no one is making me say "freedom fries," but it just reminds me of some weird governmental speech control. We've got bigger problems than the French.
There is a town in North Ontario (sticky song of the day now) called Swastika...I think they tried to rename it at some point (Armstrong?), but the new name didn't catch on.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Seabishop said:
Dude, you just made me spit coffee. Excellent work my friend.

donk

Cyburbian
What should we call cul de sacs?

TP
There is a town in North Ontario (sticky song of the day now) called Swastika...I think they tried to rename it at some point (Armstrong?), but the new name didn't catch on.

Don't forget that Kitchener was changed from New Berlin during WWII.

As for French Canadians, we can call them Quebecois, Acadians, Metis, and then we could get into the racial slurs...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:

As for French Canadians, we can call them Quebecois, Acadians, Metis, and then we could get into the racial slurs...
We could just call them all faggots and be done with it. Sorry faggots.

;) please don't moderate me...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OMG! Poor Planderella!

What to do with the French Quarter??!!

I love the congressman who says this is a way of showing our displeasure to our "So called ally, France". So Called? I just can't get over how childish this all is. Next we'll start a rumor that France is sleeping around with the football team, and then they'll call us period-face. sigh.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
OK, I think we know where most of us stand on this issue.

Now who are the 2 people voting that Freedom Fries are patriotic? C'mon, 'fess up!

Tom R

Cyburbian
f**gs

donk said:
What should we call cul de sacs?

TP

Don't forget that Kitchener was changed from New Berlin during WWII.

Quebecis and Acadians come from different stock. There are a lot of Acadians who live in Northern Maine not forgetting the Acadians who moved to Lousiana i. e. cajuns.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: f**gs

Tom R said:

Quebecis and Acadians come from different stock. There are a lot of Acadians who live in Northern Maine not forgetting the Acadians who moved to Lousiana i. e. cajuns.
Not really...Acadians are French who settled in the maritimes. They were the first to be conquered by the British - can't remember the date. Cajuns are Acadians that were forcibly deported (they didn' just "move") by the British after the fall of Nova Scotia. Quebecois are French who settled in Quebec (New France) which fell to the British in 1759.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: f**gs

Tranplanner said:

Not really...Acadians are French who settled in the maritimes. They were the first to be conquered by the British - can't remember the date. Cajuns are Acadians that were forcibly deported (they didn' just "move") by the British after the fall of Nova Scotia. Quebecois are French who settled in Quebec (New France) which fell to the British in 1759.
Thanks for the clarification. I do know that their versions of French are quite different. A friend of mine from Northern Maine went to Quebec and had to converse in English because his Acadian French couldn't be understood. I thought they were of an older stock. Learn something every day.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
some of the same french familes were devided and moved to the lowlands of SC, gulah is still widely spoken in that area and its a mix of french, english and african. as far as genetics goes cajuns in NO, Charlston and Nova Scotia are directly related.

hehe knows this cos dad is from Beauford SC and sounds just like Justin Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.