• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Freedom Fries are....

Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast are....

• Retarded.

Votes: 43 93.5%
  • Patriotic.

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

donk

Cyburbian
As for french accents, I live in an english enclave and I can understand accents from one side of the bay and not the other. We also have a dialect called "shiak" which is a use of english and french interchanging when the world fits better.

Don't forget about the republic of madawaska, i think I've mentioned it before.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
We also have a dialect called "shiak" which is a use of english and french interchanging when the world fits better.

In Ontario it's known as "fronglais"

Tom R

Cyburbian
f**gs

donk said:
As for french accents, I live in an english enclave and I can understand accents from one side of the bay and not the other. We also have a dialect called "shiak" which is a use of english and french interchanging when the world fits better.

Don't forget about the republic of madawaska, i think I've mentioned it before.

I've had some good friends from Madawaska, Fort Kent, St. Agatha and other small communities in N. Maine. Great people.

Runner

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
We didn't play this game with our worst enemies in WWII

Actually we did, as Tom R. already pointed out: "During WW! it was Liberty cabbage, I think."

I don't think it's such a big deal. I did not vote one way or another in the poll. I think if Congress wants to take a little jab at the French, go for it. I would have voted "Don't care" if that had been an option.

Tom R

Cyburbian
dogs

Runner said:

Actually we did, as Tom R. already pointed out: "During WW! it was Liberty cabbage, I think."

I don't think it's such a big deal. I did not vote one way or another in the poll. I think if Congress wants to take a little jab at the French, go for it. I would have voted "Don't care" if that had been an option.

They even had different names for dachunds and renamed frankfurters hotdogs.

Runner

Cyburbian
Re: Cranking it up a notch!

Tranplanner said:
I think the next step after this is shipping the Statue of Liberty back...

Heck no, not after we just spent all that money to spiff up the old girl ;)

On the other hand I think a shipload of fine American coal during December, the proverbial lump of coal for Christmas, would be most appropriate!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Runner said:

My God, I thought that was a joke. English is a Germanic language we would have had to have purged half of our vocabulary.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, since a good percentage of the rest of the language is based on Norman French, let's get purging now :)

Lets see: "language" and "percentage" need to be replaced with "freedomtalk" and "ameripart."

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Latin. Bring back Latin. In the mean time while we all enter the re eductation camps, we'll substitute Pig Latin just to affirm our disdain of those eurocentrist b*stards!

Habanero

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Latin. Bring back Latin. In the mean time while we all enter the re eductation camps, we'll substitute Pig Latin just to affirm our disdain of those eurocentrist b*stards!

I personally speak gibberish better than pig latin. Is there any brie made in America, I can't live without the stuff-

Tom R

Cyburbian
me

My last name is a F****h derivitive. I'm in trouble.
If I'm not mistaken, William the Conquerer spoke F****h, probably a Norman variety.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
I personally speak gibberish better than pig latin. Is there any brie made in America, I can't live without the stuff-

From the Cheesecyclopedia:

Brie (Bree )

Heritage:
Wisconsin has become an important source of Brie for American consumers. Many French cheese producers have chosen to make this cheese in Wisconsin because the composition of milk closely resembles that of the French regions. The bloomy rind on Brie results from Penicillium Candidum, a white mold applied to the surface. The mold produces enzymes which ripen the cheese from the outside in. Ripening occurs in just a matter of weeks.

Description:
This classic French cheese is now made in Wisconsin. Rich, earthy mushroom flavor changes from mild when young to pungent with age. Available plain and with flavors. Soft, creamy interior with snowy white, edible rind. Slice on sandwiches; spread on bread; wrap and bake in pastry. Remove rind and stir into soups, sauces.

Appearance: Pale ivory

Texture: Rich, creamy

Flavor: Mild to pungent, depending upon age. Rich, earthy mushroom

Serving Suggestions:
- Wrap Brie iin puff pastry, brush on egg wash and bake for a sophisticated appetizer (“Brie en croute”).
- Chunk and toss with candied pecans, mixed greens and balsamic vinegar.
- Try a wedge of these creamy cheeses topped with sweet chutney.
- Use slices of Brie to add the finishing touch to a turkey and cranberry sandwich.

Goes Well With:
- High-moisture fruits such as melons, grapes and berries; sundried tomatoes
- Sparkling wines, champagnes or Pinot Noir
- For a special treat, try a cherry lager or other craft beer infused with fruit

Styles/Varieties: Wisconsin cheesemakers also produce Brie flavored with herbs, black pepper or sundried tomato and basil.

Performance Note:
- Brie and Camembert taste almost identical; some say Camembert develops a more intense flavor.
- For best flavor and texture, bring to room temperature prior to serving.
- When baked briefly or heated in a microwave oven, whole cheeses in this category maintain their integrity while the interior softens.

Federal Standards of Identity: Maximum Moisture: 50%

For all of your cheese questions:

http://www.wisdairy.com/cheeseinfo/cheesecyclopedia.asp

BKM

Cyburbian
William The Conqueror

Tom:

Well, since William WAS Norman French, you are probably right.

Actually, the Normans orginally came "from the North" (Scandinavia). Yet another example of wimpy French being conquered :)

BKM

Cyburbian
French Cheese

If Americans start making anything the equivalent of Explorateur, Pierre Robert, or Briatt Savarin, then . . .

(There are a couple of good Sonoma County, California farmhouse cheeses.)

Tom R

Cyburbian
huh?

Missionary position only? I'd bet that Lord Ashcroft has a little something in his closet. He did lose an election to a dead man, after all.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Then I guess the French Tickler is definitely a no-no.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
no no "tickler" might hint at assault and we must not have that

while your at it not mention of birth control options-might make teens want to have sex

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Sorry for bringing this back up, but I just realized something else...
If you want to change French Fries to Freedom Fries... How would you rename HAMBURGers?
Burger is not really an option because it's a derivate of the same word :p

So what would it be?

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Various Cow Parts That Are Mixed, Pressed, and Extruded Into a Mass of Cookable Meat

SkeLeton said:
Sorry for bringing this back up, but I just realized something else...
If you want to change French Fries to Freedom Fries... How would you rename HAMBURGers?
Burger is not really an option because it's a derivate of the same word :p

So what would it be?

donk said:
How is this for stupid. French's mustard released this press release to deal with any problems with their name.

OMG - I really hate to admit it, but it makes me so ashamed that there are Americans this stupid. and i am completely aware that other countries have their fair share of idiots, but please. did this crap have to get *so* much media attention?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
At least they didnt release a statement that the mustard isnt made from the French...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Reactionary stupidity aka patriotism for idiots

If you watched the Daily Show last night there was a "story" about a group protesting fraces anti-war stance with a boycott of french wines. They kicked off their boycott by angrily dumping many bottles of wine onto the ground, after BUYING it. I think someone should explain to these people how a boycott actually works.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Yeah, many Americans are dumb. All this anti-French, anti-France crap should be directed toward Chirac and Chriac only. Anti-Chirac sentiment I can understand, but to be against France as a whole is dumb. Great cheese, wonderful wine, and hairy armpits! YUM!

Mike - that's awesome. i just sent it to Rob. On the Daily Show last week they had a bit where one of the reporters was talking to the head of some International Relations organizations, and the reporter asked:
"Why do the French hate us so much? Is it because we kick so much ass? Or that they suck so bad?"
"Now, would the French be offended if we happened to refer to them as "Cheese Eating Surrender Monkies"? How about "Truffle Shaving Wine Snobs"? "

Hee!

I think all the earnest French bashing is retarded, but the sketch was hilarious.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
French Stewart will now change his name to Freedom Stewart... :p That would make him look "patriotic". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.