• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

frenectomy

SGB

Cyburbian
Ok, so we don't want him to look like this:

Our son had a frenectomy today at the age of 4 in order to help correct a speech problem.

Moms & Dads: if your kid needs one, have it done at a really young age. That's all I'm saying. :(

{Off to get him another juice pop}

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
For the rest of you, a frenectomy is a procedure on the web under the front of your tongue. My understanding is that in some cases it is cutting and in some cases it is stiching.

I had it at age 27, and all I can describe it as is a circumcision of your tongue.

[TMI]In my case the web was right up to the front of my tongue, making it damn near impossible to french kiss. No wonder my high school dating life sucked! LOL The real health impact though was gum disease, as it fosters it. So *snip and sew

And yes I agree - do it early. I remember my frenectomy, I dont remember the circumcision! ;) *[/TMI]

Queen B

Cyburbian
Chet said:
And yes I agree - do it early. I remember my frenectomy, I dont remember the circumcision! ;) *[/TMI] [/B]
Chet sometimes I think we find out more about you than we want to know. LOL!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
And yes I agree - do it early. I remember my frenectomy, I dont remember the circumcision! ;) *[/TMI]
Thank God for that! I imagine that if people could, it would be a practice that would never be done.

Jen

Cyburbian
Did they use laser SGB? My 7 yo has a very tight lingual frenum that we consulted with the ENT on and at the last minute, due to the inept assistant who magnified her fears, My daughter changed her mind about the procedure and refused to cooperate and got us kicked out of the doc's office-(bastard quacks)

She has no speech or eating problems (although I think she will like more foods once she gets it done), her tongue is notched at the tip and she might not be able to play wind instruments.

And she needs braces. So she needs this procedure nonetheless...

And for parents to be - heed these words -->don't encourage thumbsucking!!!!!

SGB

Cyburbian
Jen said:
Did they use laser SGB? My 7 yo has a very tight lingual frenum that we consulted with the ENT on and at the last minute, due to the inept assistant who magnified her fears, My daughter changed her mind about the procedure and refused to cooperate and got us kicked out of the doc's office-(bastard quacks)
According to my wife, the doctor did not use a laser. Apparently, though, he had a great demeanor with our son during the whole thing.

Sorry your daughter's experience was so wacked.