• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Friday 3/19/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s noontime question is related to some good news I received today. Click Here For Info!
I happen to enjoy doing presentations and public speaking. The opportunity to interact with people on a level like that is amazing. BUT Public speaking is the #1 fear of most people in America, possibly the world. So I have to ask,

What are your biggest fears?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Drowning/deep water. I don't like the balancing & heights combo either - in other words its not a general fear of heights, but I don't like ladders, walking on roofs etc. Since I don't like to eat animal organs either, I would make an awful Fear Factor contestant.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Public speaking isn't a fear of mine...my biggest fear? Vaccinations! I about pass out at the sight of a syringe. 8-!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
So far, this is my worst fear :-c :-#

Actually right now its not finishing the thesis :-\ |-) :eek:| :( :-s :-o :c:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I don't have any problems with public speaking either. I have a mild fear of flying (but nothing a couple of :b: won't cure before getting on the plane). Right now my biggest fear is living the rest of my life alone and without companionship.

boiker

Cyburbian
i second walking on roofs. I can do it on 4:12 pitch on a ranch or a bungalow, but 2-story forget it.

I fear the upcoming gas crisis :)

Two of my biggest fears are death and failure. I'm also afraid of fire. Matches and lighters are big deal to me. If I have light candles or something, I use one of those starters.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I had a lot of fears as a small child: bees, spiders, heights, the bat that my older sister swore was in my bedroom closet ;). Fortunately, I grew out of all of these.

I think my biggest fear now is ICE. I get nervous about walking on slippery surfaces, especially if there's an incline involved (e.g., while hiking in the mountains). I'm sure I could never ice-climb!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
generally, my only real fear is of bugs crawling on me without me being able to see them. For an image of what I'm talking about - Think of the scene in Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, when the woman needs to put her hand in the hole to stop Jones from being crushed. You know, the bug scene. :-c

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Roaches
Heights
Getting blood drawn (but I don't freak out if I cut myself and bleed a lot...)
Big social events where I don't know anyone

I got over the public speaking phobia when I became a planner.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
blood. needles. basically anything dealing with blood from me or someone I care about. I get "wicked" faint.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bring on the public speaking, but Ditto the needles and blood and heights.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
DItto - Right now my biggest fear is living the rest of my life alone and without companionship.
Thank-you RJ.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Confrontations with people bigger than I am or those who I perceive to be more powerful or influential than I am.

What the hell am I doing in this business?

SGB

Cyburbian
Heights are probably my biggest fear, with flying a close second. Takeoffs and landings put me into a sweat, even on the smoothest of flights.

donk

Cyburbian
being electrocuted. I think it may have something to do with having walked into my share or fences as a kid.

Add me to the needle/blood drawing crowd. In HS I fainted during a discussion by the red cross on the planned blood drive they where going to do. When I had blood tests last year I warned them, they did not listen to my warning and had to get 4 nurses to pick me up off the floor for half a vial of blood.

The Irish One

I am paralyzed, petrified at the thought of public speaking, absolutely horrified, beyond any sensible reason! I've got ot get to the local Toastmasters quick! I think I could be good at it with some practice. Hands down public speaking is my greatest fear.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hands down, it's bridges for me.

I have long had an irrational fear of driving off a tall bridge and having that split-second to realize I'm screwed. Returning to college in New England after semester break my freshman year, I had to drive over a windy, icy Tappan See bridge. My rider was cracking up as I white-knuckled my '72 Beetle along the center lane. My stomach was about to toss by the time we got off that sucker :-c

More recently I got stuck in the right-hand lane of the Kennedy bridge while traffic kept moving along the other five lanes. The bridge deck was literally bouncing. My kids thought it was a hoot, but I was sweating big-time till we got off that puppy.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmmm, let's see... Spiders, Crowds and risky stuff.
nothing else comes to mind.

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of bees and wasps, but I'm allergic to them, so I try to avoid them, but I won't freak out if a bee came wondering around my way, I would just wait until it goes away, so it won't sting me.