• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Friday 3/26/04 noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s question is inspired by the most talked about subject ever… The Weather! Because it was raining this morning, I made sure to grab my umbrella. It was something that I used regularly when I lived in Reading, because City Hall was a block from the Parking Garage and on rainy days, it seemed that everyone had one. But here, it seems that very few people use them.

Do you use an umbrella when it is raining? Do you think that people in an urban area are more likely to use them then people in the Suburbs or rural area?

SGB

Cyburbian
I often use an umbrella when its raining - in rural, suburban and urban environs.

H

Cyburbian
I with out doubt always leave my umbrella behind. I often get caught running through the unpredictable Florida rain on my way to places during the summer months.

As far as to you urban vs. suburban q, I have no idea how to measure that. Gennerally it seems to be only me with out one. :p

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I rarely use an umbrella. I own one, but I couldn't tell you where it is. I bought it in NYC during the APA Conference in 2000. We were going to the Statue of Liberty and it started pouring. Within minutes there were street vendors everywhere and I broke down and bought one...and a knock-off Rolex to boot. I usualy just put my hood up.

I think urban dwellers are more likely to use one because they know that they will eventually walk during a downpour. People in the burbs can just run from the Wal Mart to their car, parked a quarter of a mile away in the massive parking lot.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I think 'real' urban people are more cognizant of umbrella use, because they are required to walk more and don't use their car to do everything. They don't have a car to escape to.

I think that in a more auto-dominated place, people use them less because they are just going to and from a car so they might not think about needing an umbrella as often.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
mendelman said:
I think that in a more auto-dominated place, people use them less because they are just going to and from a car so they might not think about needing an umbrella as often.
Today I am auto-dominated. I left the house fully knowing that it will rain, but I wore no coat nor did I bring an umbrella (it's 75F today in North Louisville, IN). I am going to go look at some houses that are to be relocated, so I will be outside. I guess I am just going to get wet. |-)

What I really want is a light weight rain coat that extends half-way between my knee and ankle -- about the same length as a duster, but not so western-looking nor as heavy. Anybody know of a manufacturer, please let me know.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I keep umbrellas in the house, car, and office, and actually use them. If I'm ut on field work or on vacation, it's usually a rain jacket.

I have noticed that most tourists do not have an umbrella handy when the Florida rains start. Which is why Disney sells those goofy yellow ponchos.

boiker

Cyburbian
I carry an umbrella...and use it much more working in an urban environment. I always had mine nearby at my suburban job, but I didn't use it much as I was willing to run from the parking lot to the building.

It's all about environment. In downtown, I like to causually stroll, notice the buildings, cars, buses, trees, and people. I don't mind walking in the rain with an umbrella because I have stuff to look at. When I walked in the parking lot, I just wanted to get out of it as quickly as possible. There is nothing to look at besides the building I'm walking towards. Nothing to really hold my interest. So, umbrella or not... i was running for the building.

I think urban dwellers are more prepared and keep the umbrella handy, knowing they have to walk.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Guess I'm a bit of a contrarian here. But that could just be because I have a large umbrella which I hate having to walk around with, especially on the subway. I'm lucky that I can get from my house to work with only a very short walk outside. If it's raining when I leave the house, I take the umbrella. If it's not, I usually don't.

I need to get a compact 'brolly I can fit in my bag.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i keep a compact london fog in my bag, a 48" golf umby in the car, and a crappy umby someone got for free at a wal-mart in my office in case i forget the one in the bag which never happens (or when someone wants to borrow one...haha).

biscuit

Cyburbian
I have a compact umbrella that gets used quite a bit because I walk to and from the office everyday. It fits in my bag and is easy to carry around, especially if I'm on a bus or the T. However, me being the flake that I am, I walked out the door without it today knowing full and well that it's supposed to rain later this afternoon.

[ubmbrella inspired rant]
One thing that drives me nuts about umbrellas in the urban environment is having to navigate the sidewalks with all of these people carrying those gigantic tent sized umbrellas around. These things are so wide that you can barely get two across, even on the widest sidewalks. So you have to walk at a snails pace as these people single file it with their gargantuan umbrellas perched at my eye level in some attempt to keep their crappy Member's Only jackets and over sprayed bangs from getting wet.
[/umbrella inspired rant]

otterpop

Cyburbian
My former boss, the planning director of Ketchikan Alaska (which averages about 160 inches of rain a year), was quoted in the local newspaper that people in Ketchikan used their cars for umbrellas. Too true.

In Montana, we don't get a lot of rain and a rainstorm is usually short-lived. So about the only time I use or have an umbrella is when I go camping.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
michaelskis said:
Do you think that people in an urban area are more likely to use them then people in the Suburbs or rural area?
Sounds like a graduate thesis!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
I have an umbrella but I only use it when golfing.
Same for me...it's the only time I ever have an umbrella with me.

kms

Cyburbian
It depends if I'm arriving or departing. I'm more inclined to use an umbrella on my way to somewhere. If I'm on my way home, I may do without.

hindered

It depends on the type of rain expected. Misting or brief periods of hit or miss showers? No umbrella. Downpours? Umbrella. Well prepared for that. One umbrella in each car and one in the office at the ready.

As far as urban-rural? I think it may also be more than that. Does it matter if you get wet? Are you high maintenance or low? Is your work environment very professional or just a step up from normal?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I think there's one of those super-compact ones in my bag. It got left in my car once, and now I carry it around but rarely use it. It's easier to just get rained on than deal with two bags, mug of hot coffee, and unwieldy umbrella that wants to turn me into Mary Poppins (although that might be a fun way to do site visits...)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Having lived great part of my life here in Valdivia, where it doesn't rain, but pour regularly, I learned that umbrellas are useless here. Either the wind breaks it, or the wind blows the rain sideways or upwards, making wetsuits the only way to remain dry, though I usually only had a parka or rain coat.
Well, since this winter I'll be in Santiago, where it rains a third of what rains here, and when it does rain many parts get flooded, umbrellas are less necesary than boots, although winds are less strong in Santiago, so umbrellas are more usefull.
But since I'll be underground most of my way between where I'm staying and my campus, I probably don't need more than a rain coat.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I just remembered something. The umbrella that I have used for the past few years, I ended up buying at the APA conference in New Orleans… and I am glad that I did. Because I was a student I went on these sessions that would take us to some private and some public sector planning offices, well leaving one, it was down pouring. A very attractive young lady who was about my age from San Fan shared my umbrella. We both still got soaked, so we stopped off at her hotel room to dry off. NOTHING HAPPENED and I did not even try anything o:) …. [ |-) kicking my self] even though I think we where both thinking things! [/kicking my self |-) ]

I think because of that situation, I now use that umbrella every chance I get… No it has not work since… but I can enjoy the memories!

nerudite

Cyburbian
I rarely use an umbrella... the exception being when I'm wearing something very nice for work or for a special occasion and I don't want it to get stained with rainwater. Living in Washington State for many years made me used to getting around in the rain without an umbrella... wouldn't want to look like a total wus and draw attention to being a Californian or something. ;)

Wulf9

If you walk from point a to destination b, you are likely to use an umbrella.

If you walk from the car to desination b, you are less likely to use an umbrella.

Suburbanites typically make all trips by car so they are less likely to use an umbrella.

Rugged individualist exception to the above rule. If you typically wear hiking boots as dress shoes, you will wear waterproof gear, rather than carry an umbrella -- urban or suburban.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have both a golf umbrella and rain/wind shell.
Never thought of when / where I use or wear it.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I rarely use an umbrella. We have five in our house i think. :-D

Sometimes I like to get wet.

Last edited:
I grew up in Georgia, land of the "daily afternoon thunder shower" for several months a year. I now live in California. It rarely rains hard enough here for me to think of it as "real rain". If it is more than just drizzle, I might grab a jacket that has a hood. Usually, I am more interested in protecting my leather purse from getting wet than in protecting my hair from getting wet. And that can be remedied by sticking my purse under my jacket: I prefer to carry a small purse and it is usually no trouble to stash it inside my jacket while I dash out to the car.

I cannot remember the last time I used our umbrella, which is generally stored somewhere close to the front door for the convenience of my boys.

JNL

Cyburbian
I don't own one. They just get blown inside out here - newbies to the city learn that pretty quickly. I don't mind getting rained on, I just wear a jacket and hat. The rain makes my hair go super-curly :)