• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Friday 4:15pm question from JNL

JNL

Cyburbian
In michaelski's absence...

I've just finished writing the last of 3 research proposals in 1 week, totalling $270,000 NZD of work, the bulk of which will be done by me! 8-!

Can't wait to go home and have a :b:

So... what did you get done this week?

Last edited:

ludes98

Cyburbian
One of our clients is closing on a property this week so my time has been consumed by lawyers, engineers, and surveyors. Got the re-plat approved tonight and just enjoying some vodka and tonic. Have nice weekend JNL since it is already Friday for you!

Budgie

Cyburbian
An annexation report;
A 12-pack of Fosters;
2 soccer practices;
Divorce Decree and Agreement;
Evaluation of Building Official;
Locational Quotients;
Adult Use Ordinance report for City Commission;
1 bottle of Beringers;
20 jello shots;
Nonconforming Use, Lots and Structure Amendments;
Violation and Enforcement Amendments;
6 showers;
Comprehensive Plan Outline; and
Meals on wheels route.

My week isn't done yet.

Heck if I know what I did "this week". My days sort of blend together. I rarely sleep more than 5 or 6 hours straight at a time here lately, and that is often from like 8am to 1 or 2pm. Then I roll out of bed bleary and do it all over again. But in the last week OR two:

Launched a small e-mail group to serve as my own personal think tank and social club for ... folks with no social skills. It is going smashingly.

Added a few pages to my homeschooling website.

Freaked out a couple of new friends when I replied in a joking manner while running a fever the other day (I think everyone here knows by now how macabre my sense of humor gets when I am in sufficient pain and such). Then 'splained and smoothed things over. I am getting pretty good at that part.

Had a big fight with a good friend and then "kissed and made up" and, while on too much pain medication and unable to sleep, finally brokered the business deal we have been saying we should make but... it wasn't previously clicking. I guess insomnia and percocet are a good thing sometimes.

Spent a good deal of time explaining to another potential business partner the art of growing a website and traffic on it and that type thing, appropriately impressing him, yadda yadda. Gave him other feedback on what needs to be done to his website and why.

Scanned a homemade educational tool mailed to me by a friend and tweaked the design. Negotiated co-copyrights for it. Still need to talk about patenting it, yadda yadda.

This caused a brainstorm and I am talking to various trusted folks about how to make this a standard policy, etc, and I think I will leave out the details on that. In part because the details are still Fuzzy.

Photochopped a new avatar for me for cyburbia-land

I think I agreed to write a book with someone but I couldn't swear to it.

Started a new college class... ironically, on how to write. Yeah, like I need that class. Sigh. Just 7 more to go and then I have my Bachelor's.

The usual: grocery shopping, meals eaten out, daily hot baths, daily herb tea, etc. to keep the old bod functioning.

The Unusual: nebulizer treatments, explained to a friend the brain chemistry I think is involved in the puzzling stuff going on with her son and she thinks it makes sense. It has been stumping her. We will run that past my think tank, but I want to wait to get one last straggler on board because the straggler is a big name impressive professional and there are no archives, for complex security reasons.

philosophical debate with friend about sophistry, dialectic, etc.

wrote a piece to my chronic illness group that probably needs to go in the database there or up on my website. I think that means it is time to make good on all my promises to start such a database/collection of info cuz I get tired of repeating myself: Time to add more non-drug, non-surgery medical crap to my website, me thinks.

Performed some preliminary research on downtown locations I might want to move to for a live-work space. Started a folder with info.

And probably a zillion other things that I just don't remember.

EDIT: Let's not forget: I finally managed to meet BKM and, that day, I bought a book called "the tipping point" that I read cover to cover in about 3 days.

Rem

Cyburbian
Finished counting for our elections. We have 8 new Councillors (out of 13), including a new mayor. We start brainwashing them with an induction on Monday.

It's 5.15 pm AEST so it's time I found a :b: too.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Its all an endless blur...code changes, coordinating studies related to the comp plan, MPO stuff to review....As I write this, I am humming the song..."working 9 to 5"...wish it was just 9 to 5.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Finished a grant application and got it mailed off
Updated our display board for upcoming Government Week events
Sat thru one of Sister Celeste's meetings (OK, I cheated and sneaked out early)
Reviewed incoming development applications
Did my "self-eval" mid-year performance review

tsc

Cyburbian
ugh,,,, updating my timesheets since January 1....how did so much time slip away??? Finished final edit on regional plan. Then get asked to attend an event tonight...extending my work week.. and to top it off have to dress up on dress down Friday! |-)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Fine-tuning the County comp plan agriculture element ...

Subdivision of farmland often involves creating new lots along existing road frontages. This decreases or eliminates the developer’s cost of providing improvements, since new roads, utility lines and water lines aren’t needed. However, strip residential development along a rural road presents an urban streetscape; country vistas and farm views are eliminated, and rural character is lost. Increasing curb cuts along a road slows traffic and creates more points of conflict where accidents can happen.

Because improvements are in place before the land is subdivided, local government indirectly subsidizes strip residential development. There is no incentive to build new roads and utilities to serve small developments.
Just interviewed an intern candidate.

Attended a community meeting regarding improvements to a twisty road across a ravine. Nearly got thrown down the aforementioned ravine because I dared to use the word "roundabout."

Studied more about the pecularities of Ohio township law.

Staff meeting.

Later today, I'll be creating a Planner of the Day schedule.

Made reservations for a date.

Cancelled reservations for the date, because a relative of hers was one of the contractors recently murdered in Falluja. :( for the affected families

Shelled out US$500 for some preventative maintenance on the Passat, and will probably be shellig out $500 more next week because of that persistent metal-on-metal grinding noise that results from steering.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Got my butt kicked by the redev't com'n and n-hood folks. You can't stuff $3million worth of activities in $800k of cd bg. |-)

Completed monthly invoices.

Continued working on cost estimates for a project that, according to the local officials, will NEVER get built unless someone else pays for it. Cheap b*st*rds!

Worked on a scope of services for a new brownfields project.

Did some work on a TOD policy plan.

Other things that are just too menial to list.

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Had a neighborhood meeting on Monday night only the neighborhood CDC (Community Development Corporation) decided to cancel without giving me a call.... second time in three weeks. Let's see 'em try and get those land-use surveys done now, Bwahahahahaha....

Spent the rest of the week trying to wade through this giant stack of CD invoices on my desk and every single one sent in has at least one or two mistakes on them. It's called a calculator folks. They're real cheap and pretty easy to use. |-)

Tonight I have to help the mother of Bridezilla sit things up for her first bridal shower tomorrow, which will be worth the work if we get that pimped out Cuisinart coffee maker I've been wanting. ;-)

Last edited:

Queen B

Cyburbian
With the help of really good drugs I have managed to make it to work everyday and not stangle the new boss!!!

Oh, it has also helped to lessen the anxiety of throwing away barrels full of information that has been stored in this office.
Budgie, I am hurtin with you man....

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
- worked on finalizing EA chapter sections for a new bridge project
- completed expense report and time sheets
- got through project team and internal staff meetings
- started reading a book...Stephen King's Four Past Midnight
- tried to relax more

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Turned in my resignation letter. :)

Gave ZG the inside scoop about SC's consultant for the LDC.

Made plans for the Cherry Blossom Festival, which I hope to execute.

Visited an uncle in the hospital.

Created 6 alternatives for my Park Master Plan.

Held a team meeting.

Played practical joke on co-worker and husband.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Well according to my weekly performance log I haven't done anything. What a timely post, now I can think about what I did this week, report it to my pals on cyburbia and do my performance log at the sametime.

Okay lets seee......

Made final revisions to a Township Master plan, Update the Land Use maps and mail to client.
Put a downpayment on an engagement ring
Finish a recreation grant and mail to DNR
Start and finish a preliminary housing market study and mail to client for review
Ride my road bike 35 miles
Update non-motorized trail map and rank trails by development priority for a county-wide trail plan
Crunch some numbers for another 2 preliminary housing market studies
Clean my house
Post on Cyburbia

now it is 3:22 and I about to go home in 38 minutes so I better get back to work

Dragon

Cyburbian
Coded the difference in State aided roads and regular roads in GIS.

Took pictures of a tire dump.

Took pictures of a building that is going to be “decommissioned” by a bulldozer :-D .

Visited an illegal trash dump, and met with the workers that were about to start cleaning it. All while being attacked by an army of mosquitoes :-c .

Today, I went to inspect a “cabin” to make sure it will be above BFE. This “cabin” is 2600 sq. feet. I’d hate to see what they call a house. Also on this 1 piece of property you will find dozens of long horn cattle which need acres of cleared land, 2 or more ponds, a small personal golf course, and acres of woods.

Other tasks that I can not currently recall.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
6 showers;.
"This doesn't mean we'll be taking long hot showers together." - Gunnie Thomas Highway

Crikey, I've been doing this damn paper on NAFTA's effect on trade/transportation corridors and the U.S. economy and economic development in Buffalo. 24 days left.

Went to a committee meeting for the new traffic signals coordination sub-committee were credit was given and questions answered.

Was told I'm being lead on and she's getting her own place once the lease is up. :u: Great, maybe its time to look to immigration to Austrailia. :-\

Watched the Sabres chances at the playoffs crushed while drinking high-gravity malt beverages due to being broke.

Going to school later to do some work on ArcView for the project and maybe some fun correlation analysis. :-@

Rumpy Tunanator said:
Was told I'm being lead on and she's getting her own place once the lease is up. :u: Great, maybe its time to look to immigration to Austrailia. :-\
I am thinking: not only are jobs plentiful but the odds of having dinner with JNL might go up. ;-)

REM: hook this "Man with a Plan and a Rubberband" up with some Land of Oz employment info. :) (Actually, I haven't read the thread but isn't this being discussed in one of the Serious Planning Forums???)

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Sat thru one of Sister Celeste's meetings (OK, I cheated and sneaked out early)
She failed to say "boring" meeting that I was forced to lead with more engineers in it than the local ASCE chapter meeting.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
She failed to say "boring" meeting that I was forced to lead with more engineers in it than the local ASCE chapter meeting.
I guess you caught my drift when I grimaced and stuck my finger down my throat... Geez, engineers...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The last two weeks have been brutal, culminating in canning my assistant on Wednesday. Thursday I tied up all of the loose ends by about 5:30, and at 6:30 I was on the road. I'm checking into Cyburbia from Taos, NM, right now.

Cardinal said:
The last two weeks have been brutal, culminating in canning my assistant on Wednesday. Thursday I tied up all of the loose ends by about 5:30, and at 6:30 I was on the road. I'm checking into Cyburbia from Taos, NM, right now.
So, that wouldn't by luck also be the twit that kept turning the air up to 80 degrees would it?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
In michaelski's absence...

So... what did you get done this week?
:) Thank you JNL!

Well for me... all sorts of stuff, over 100 violation notices, 2 lot line adjustments, filled in for the full time GIS tech, 3 pre-formal court hearings 10 hours of front desk work, 8 maps, did my tax's (at home), went and got drunk with a few guys in the office on Thursday, did field inspections for 9 plot plans, and got yelled at for two days from people that I sent violation notices to... :) yea it was a GREAT WEEK!