• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Friday boredom leads me to find Opus returning.

martini

Cyburbian
Ok. Yes, I'm kinda bored today. The internet is a WONDERFUL thing! Today, I find out that one of my favorite Strip Cartoons is returning after a loooong absence. Long live Opus!

of course, I COULD be just post padding too :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From his own website
http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/opus_returns.html

On November 23rd, after an absence of almost ten years, Opus returns to the nation's Sunday comic pages.

We can't, at this time, go into detail as to what he's been doing during his mysterious missing decade, although Opus is deeply embarrassed about the rumors, especially the one naming him as the catalyst behind the unfortunate break-up of J Lo and Ben. It will all become clear soon.

We'd strongly suggest contacting your local paper and inquiring as to their plans, or lack of, in participating in Opus's reemergence to the Sunday comics. They look forward to hearing from you. We do too, actually.

Tom R

Cyburbian
periwinkle

My favorite Bloom County strip is Lying Naked in the Periwinkle. Great strip. I just heard Gary Larsen being interviewed on Fresh Air. It was from '98. I guess he has a "Complete Far Side' book out.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Opus is all well and good...he's pretty funny. But the BIG return for me would be Calvin and Hobbes. Even with all those stupid decals around of Calvin taking a leak, I would still welcome those guys back.

Long live Spaceman Spiff!!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
But the BIG return for me would be Calvin and Hobbes.
Dittos on that man! :) Calvin and Hobbes rules, even with the stupid decals, the do not take the laughability form it! :-}

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I was so sad when C&H and Bloom Co went away. I sniffled when Farley died in For Better or Worse. I guess I get too attached to my comic strips.

I used to run a small bookstore, and got to go to several bookseller's conventions. (Much more lively than Planning conventions....). Met Berke Brethed at one and have an autographed copy of one of his books.

martini

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
Indeed. I, too would welcome C&H back even more so than Bloom County/Opus/Outland. Alas, 'tis not to be. I'm just pissed to see so many, uh, pissing Calvins. Ruined his image, methinks.

biscuit

Cyburbian
YES!

Bloom County has always been one of my favorites. If my local paper can spare the space for those pieces of crap that are Mary Worth and Family Circus then they can make room for the return of Opus.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
YES!

Bloom County has always been one of my favorites. If my local paper can spare the space for those pieces of crap that are Mary Worth and Family Circus then they can make room for the return of Opus.
Mary Worth still exists?! My paper dropped it about 10 years ago--the same time as spiderman ceased. At the same time, they cut winnie winkle. I thought it was great, as I never liked any of those 3. I don't remeber opus, bloom county, etc. Too bad--the samples on the website looked funny. Hope both the times-picayne and the arizona republic pick it up so I can read it year-round.