• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Friday timekiller: Wikipedia's greatest hits

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I just love Wikipedia. (I do with people would be more active with the Cyburbia version, though.) Occasionally, you'll come across some great entries, like this. Encyclopedia Galactica indeed.

Let's share and discuss some of the gems we've uncovered on Wikipedia.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the whole wikipedia thing is all about. Is it useful informative information or is it humorous or both? Who does it serve? How are entries made? Who 'approves' entries? Are entries even submitted for approval?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
to answer one question:
It is attempting to compile all human knowledge...whether that be just straight info, or inadvertently humoruous.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
to answer one question:
It is attempting to compile all human knowledge...whether that be just straight info, or inadvertently humoruous.
What do you mean 'inadvertently'. I try to be a pretty advertently funny guy, ya know.

jaws

BANNED
Maister said:
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the whole wikipedia thing is all about. Is it useful informative information or is it humorous or both? Who does it serve? How are entries made? Who 'approves' entries? Are entries even submitted for approval?
A wiki is like an open-comment book. Everyone can write anything in it or add articles. Nobody approves entries. If you don't like an entry you change it yourself.

It is literary anarchy. And it works!

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
A possible Wikipedia criticism of the Wikipedia, but more than likely a vision about the posible end of the Wikipedia: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Worst_cases

Here is a thorough account of the 2004 tsunami: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donations_for_victims_of_the_2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

Partial list of American corporate donations:

Pfizer - USD 35m (USD 10m cash; USD 25m medicines)
Deutsche Bank - EUR 10m (USD 13m)
Coca-Cola - USD 10m
Bristol-Myers Squibb - USD 5m (USD 1m cash; USD 4m medicines)
Exxon Mobil - USD 5m
Abbott Laboratories - USD 4m (USD 2m cash; USD 2m medicine)
Microsoft - USD 3.5m
BP - USD 3m
Citigroup - USD 3m
JP Morgan Chase - USD 3m
National Hockey League - USD 100,000+

jordanb

Cyburbian
jaws said:
A wiki is like an open-comment book. Everyone can write anything in it or add articles. Nobody approves entries. If you don't like an entry you change it yourself.

It is literary anarchy. And it works!

That's not exactly the case with wikipedia as you have to login and their are editors who do quality control on changes. It's a bit more like the cyburbia forums. Yes, individuals can say what they want, but there's always the overseers keeping things sane.

-bump-
Surprise- this page no longer exists!
And it hasn't gone PC with a new title like List of famous people with breast implants.

But most of the other Wikipedia pages on this thread are still here.
I just love Wikipedia. (I do with people would be more active with the Cyburbia version, though.) Occasionally, you'll come across some great entries, like this. Encyclopedia Galactica indeed.

Let's share and discuss some of the gems we've uncovered on Wikipedia.
Dan's ^"this"^ is about Olde English 800, and in case you didn't know what that is,
it's accompanied with a Wikimedia photo.
1604071366957.png
(Mmmm... that looks nice. Just sayin'.:cheers:)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
-bump-

Surprise- this page no longer exists!
And it hasn't gone PC with a new title like List of famous people with breast implants.

But most of the other Wikipedia pages on this thread are still here.

Dan's ^"this"^ is about Olde English 800, and in case you didn't know what that is,
it's accompanied with a Wikimedia photo.
View attachment 49534
(Mmmm... that looks nice. Just sayin'.:cheers:)
Savvy savvy savvy [/shakes head]. You just posted a pic of Olde English 800 that looks 'nice'? There are much nicer looking pictures of this product and/or the people drinking it available. You might not know what I'm talking about, but I bet theres at least a half dozen guys here that do.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Usually when I am WFH, I am at the kitchen counter but sometimes I need to concentrate more and move into the den. On the wall right above the desk is a massive 8'x5' world map. My chair looks right at the Indian Ocean and the south Pacific Ocean. A lot of the times I'll get distracted by the tiny little islands on the map and go on Wikipedia rabbit-hole adventures learning about Amsterdam or St-Paul Island or some ill fated expedition to the Kerguelen Islands or the 18th century sealing industry in the waters around Antarctica.

If I look up a bit higher I get distracted by the islands of Micronesia or the Marianas or the rest of Oceania and learn all about obscure battles of WWII or weather stations and tall structures on Minami Tori...

DVD

Cyburbian
You're deep. I usually look at and think about my rubber chicken hanging out on my monitor.

He says cluck by the way.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^We have an annoyingly loud rubber chicken that I bought for $1 at Rite Aid a few years ago (side note: the toy and seasonal aisles at the drug store is really the only reason I go in those stores anymore). My wife hates it. My daughters like to hide it under the carpet runner in the hallway leading to the bedrooms so their mom usually steps on it on her way to bed late at night.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have a chicken in a blue suit and a green zombie chicken. One I use to annoy the wife and kids the other I use to annoy the office.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
^We have an annoyingly loud rubber chicken that I bought for $1 at Rite Aid a few years ago (side note: the toy and seasonal aisles at the drug store is really the only reason I go in those stores anymore). My wife hates it. My daughters like to hide it under the carpet runner in the hallway leading to the bedrooms so their mom usually steps on it on her way to bed late at night.

1604330560285.png

Oh, and I'll just put this here:

1604331029159.png