• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! From governors to sprawl kills

Many people know me as Joel Hirschhorn from the National Governors Association, but that is no longer true. I am finishing up my book "Sprawl Kills -- Better Living in Healthy Places" and have a new and exciting web site www.sprawlkills.com with a newsletter, excerpts from the forthcoming book and much more. Anyone interested in land use, sprawl and smart growth will find my web site useful. I have been known for my honesty and strong views and my new freedom as an author, consultant and public speaker allows me to be a vocal public advocate. Current Newsletter article is "Wendell Cox is Nuts."

SGB

Cyburbian
Joel Hirschhorn said:
Many people know me as Joel Hirschhorn from the National Governors Association, but that is no longer true.
Yup - now you'll be known as Joel Hirschhorn from Cyburbia.org!

;)

Welcome!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Welcome. We'll have to get Wendell Cox on here and set up a thread for you to duke it out. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. Stick around. Join in our many discussions of sprawl, the new urbanism, alleys and the like. Be sure to alert us when new newsletters come out.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
[agenda driven editing]
Joel Hirschhorn said:
... I have been known for my honesty....
[end agenda driven editing]

Well, it's good to hear you are known for your honesty! ;-)

Seriously, though, Welcome!!

I hope your intro. wasn't just an advertisement.:p

jordanb

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Welcome. We'll have to get Wendell Cox on here and set up a thread for you to duke it out. :)
Matt D could provide a pretty good standin, I bet.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I don't know why you came on this board. We are just a bunch of people who say we are planners. In reality, we just sit around here in Cyburbia and BS.;)

Last edited:

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Welcome Joel.

But please don't ask the masses here to think you are in any way above the fray. Maybe Wendell Cox is out there, maybe not. But I have read your work, in part, and you use just as much rhetoric and exageration as any poster on this site--hell even your website takes a layup here and there--McMansions? And the title of the Book "Sprawl Kills" There no rhetoric there?

We appreciate new and fresh visions on this site but I hope we can get beyond the cars are bad, trees are good polemic.

H

Cyburbian
hello.

out of curiosity (if you don’t mind), what type (not where) of environment so you live in? Just for a frame of reference for your anti sprawl campaign.

and welcome.