• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

From The Great City of San Francisco!

rideabike

First off, Hello! I have been enjoying this site for a while and finally have a reason to join and actually post.

I am a former radio personality in a few different cities and currently I am majoring in Urban Studies at San Francisco State University. I have also just published my first book.

Anyhow, I am here because I am passionate about cities and dismayed by our current national state of apathy regarding suburbia.

I am working on my second book, which will focus on specific North American cities as well as specific Urban issues. I could use all of your help in gathering information for this book. Via my website, www.roccopendola.net you can access a link which will explain what I am looking for. Essentially, I have a 5-7 question survey that I would like you to answer. It is private and will ask about what type of place you inhabit and how you function in it; how you feel about it.

You may access the site to find out more or just email me to request the survey. Any help at all is greatly appreciated! My email is roccojpendola@yahoo.com.

Thanks so much for the site. By the way, I originally from Niagara Falls, NY - just outside of Buffalo. I have lived in Miami, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Las Vegas -- So, I AM LOVING LIFE in San Francisco now!! Whew!!

Rocco Pendola

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard. :)

The link doesn't work, you have to take out the extra comma and back slash at the end.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Another lurker comes out of the Cyburbia closet (no connection to San Francisco's prevalent culture intended). Welcome to the board. I look forward to browsing your site.

Rocco, welcome! we're always glad to have another voice on board. We get the occasional western NY slanted discussion, so we'll be looking foward to your perspective.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Welcom Rocco. Could use a San Francisco um, slant on things. One issue, however: is not "radio personality" just another oxymoron? Just joking...except for the ones I have met.

kms

Cyburbian
Welcome. I always liked the WTAE promos where they said RoccoPendola like it is all one name, without a pause between first and last name. I can't say, though, that I was ever near a radio when your program played.

Jen

Cyburbian
howdy RoccoPendola

from RP's Bruce blog:
We ended up one person back from the stage right in between Bruce and Steven Van Zandt. For most of the night, Springsteen was never more than 10 or 15 feet away from us. The experience was incredible, really impossible to describe. The intensity, the power, the energy, the heart, the soul, the EVERYTHING exhibited by Bruce and The E Street Band shoots right through from the stage to the back of the arena like a ball of fire speeding through a subway tube.
Yes, live music does that to you! Especially when it's Bruce and friends!!

You get around kiddo, your bio says you were born in '75 AND you were a radio personality by '88. How did your parents know you were radio material? highly developed verbal skills by age 3?

A question for you! Why should anyone read your book, hmm? And did Madonna name her baby after you?

rideabike

Howdy Grad Student Jen and Everyone!!

Well - first off, yes Madonna did name her kid after me!

Why should you read my book, Jen also wants to know. Well, it will broaden your mind, I don't know! Umm, so you won't be lost when you read my second book.

In all seriousness, I am very passionate about urban issues and have a decent story to tell - I think that combo makes it worth reading. By no means is it a masterpiece, but I do think it is a good step to the type of thing I am working on now and will do in the future.

How's that!?

Jen - where are going to grad school? and what are studying? Urban Planning or what?? You can email me if u wish, roccojpendola@yahoo.com as can anyone who wishes to!

By the way, I am looking to go more into the Urban Studies angle, I do not want to do planning. The only graduate programs really targeting Urban Studies and not totally slanted to Planning are at Portland State, and in New Orleans. Any others that you guys may know of??

Rocco