• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Fun quiz: How do we talk?

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I think we need to make Australian culture as accessible as possible to the running dog US capitalist cultural imperialists so as to simplify out post invasion rule of their country.

Am I using this PM function properly? Ooops. :-E

You nong :-c , you have exposed our plans!

We will have to withdraw our undercover agents - nicole kidman, mel gibson, paul hogan, john howard, steve irwin - on second thoughts, the last three are expendable, lets leave them.

ROTFLMAO. You two made my day. Hey, I am in California and some of your undercover agents spend a lot of time here, I bet, making movies (aka "propoganda") . Drop by my place to say "hi" when you show up to run the place, ok? :-}

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
B'lieve said:
Mischief Night is not "exclusive to New York and New Jersey;" we have it down here, too.

An example, I think, of language migrating. Where is jresta when you need her/him?? Nobody here in my neck of the woods has ever heard of such a phrase. I imagine it is probably not uncommon to Florida, where so many NY/NJ folks have relocated (although it is hard to imagine some octogenarian tp-ing a retirement community 8-! ).

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
61% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

I'm a little disapointed in the quiz compilers, as they included neither the proper term for a sandwich (po' boy) or drive through liquors (daiquiris).

As for my australian,
You got 9 answers right.
You got 11 answers wrong.
You're a nong as far as the Strine goes.
...but there may be hope for you yet. After all, you nearly got half of them right... but a miss is as good as a mile in a quiz, innit?

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'lieve
Mischief Night is not "exclusive to New York and New Jersey;" we have it down here, too.

An example, I think, of language migrating.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. New Yorkers and New Jerseyans swarm to Maryland colleges and universities literally by the thousands every year, and some of them end up staying. A friend of mine from Long Island once explained the attraction as follows: Basically, Maryland's far enough away that parents/family can't keep daily tabs on them, close enough that they can go home once in a while and relieve occasional homesickness, different enough to be interesting (it is still kinda the South, ya know), and similar enough to be reasonably comfortable (much of Maryland is at least as northeastern as it is southern). I grew up in a rural area with little New York/Jersey influence and few transplants, so if we did get it from up there we must have gotten it thirdhand via the transplants in the Baltimore area.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
An example, I think, of language migrating. Where is jresta when you need her/him?? Nobody here in my neck of the woods has ever heard of such a phrase. I imagine it is probably not uncommon to Florida, where so many NY/NJ folks have relocated (although it is hard to imagine some octogenarian tp-ing a retirement community 8-! ).

Nope. We native Floridians keep those damn Yankee NJ/NY types under lock and key.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Not surprising for a fellow who grew up in the New Orleans area, I scored heavily Dixie (78%). The pill bug question threw me. Growing up we always called them doodlebugs and where was the po-boy option in the sandwich question?

Norris

NHPlanner said:
52% Yankee....those years spent in Indiana still linger in some of my speech. ;)

66% Dixie. Considering I'm from Liverpool, England, is this good or bad? Couldn't answer all the questions though!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Norris said:
66% Dixie. Considering I'm from Liverpool, England, is this good or bad? Couldn't answer all the questions though!

Well, as a Gringo/Yanqui/Yankee/NorthernOppressor, I'd have to say that it's quite bad, actually, unless you plan on taking holiday in Florida ;-)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Norris said:

It's a good thing...
_38106571_bbc150stewart.jpg

Considering that [most] Southern dialects come from a mixture of speech patterns from African slaves and settlers from the British Isles, it makes perfect sense that an Englishman, or woman, would be more Dixie than Yankee.