• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Fun With Karen

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So what are the demands of the United Karens of America, aside from wanting to speak to the manager? Longer wine breaks? More time in the morning to fix their hairdo?
Your Nintendo Switch, for one.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
So what are the demands of the United Karens of America, aside from wanting to speak to the manager? Longer wine breaks? More time in the morning to fix their hairdo?
They were behind this -
Decision to jail salon owner who illegally reopened went too far, top Texas officials say

DVD

Cyburbian
It's okay, if you're a Karen, own it! I just don't see you as the wine toting live, laugh, love type.

DVD

Cyburbian
Karen complains to manager that deli has been closed for too long.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I told my wife what a Karen is and we both immediately realized both her sisters were.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Whether she's an original Bobhead Karen, Upline Karen, or our premium Top Selling Realtor® Karen, all Red Roar Karens have been aged for over 45 years in the the finest subdivisions of north suburban Dallas. Our Karens are raised on the finest lean meats, salads, essential oils, and white box wines. We then send our Karens to Japan, where they acclimate to only the most impeccable customer service. American quality, with a touch of Asian tiger mom. That's why our legendary Karens will demand to see the manager for anything less than 110% perfection. Antibiotic free, never vaccinated. That's the Red Roar difference.

Live. Laugh. Roar. Red Roar Farms. Home of the original roaring Karens. Now with touch-free delivery. Download our app, or visit redroadkarens dot com.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
In today's Karen's news, more wtf:
It's always Chuck E Cheese and Red Lobster. Always,

Meanwhile, in Beaumont, Texas ...

TOFB

Cyburbian
(May be disturbing)

This Karen would be dead if she wasn't white.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
That was very satisfying when she got tased. And sadly, you're probably right if that was anyone other than an old white lady she probably gets a gun drawn on her instead of a taser.

But honest to God, ALL she had to do was sign the paper. Your odds of not being arrested, beaten, tased or killed go up exponentially if you just DO WHAT THE COPS SAY. If you think you've been wronged make sure you live so you can pursue your grievance.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
The latest Karen in Central Park is so troubling and disgusting - why does this keep happening

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The latest Karen in Central Park is so troubling and disgusting - why does this keep happening
When Being a ‘Karen’ Turns Criminal? Central Park Dog-Walker Could Be Prosecuted

Civic association calls on de Blasio to ban Central Park ‘Karen’ for life

Are We Supposed To Feel Bad Central Park “Karen” Lost Her Job And Her Dog…Because We Don’t

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sorry I've been a bit scarce lately. Just working to get the most recent FBC draft finished.

(Not an advertisement.)

Thie is the KAREN WIG:
Karen_Wig.jpg

They come in just about any color:

Clrs.jpg
(Not shown: many shades of greens, purples & blues.)

KAREN WIGS are nearly impossible to sell.

Even for role-play or cosplay.
Even for Halloween!

In fact, KAREN WIGS are nearly impossible to give away!

As a "Big Seller" on a certain online auction site., I have this huge lot of new, manufacturer-sealed KAREN Wigs, every color..
I am GIving Away FOR FREE (by mail) one or many Karen Wigs to anybody here who wants them.

Who would want them? I can't imagine. But maybe somebody will have better luck with them than I did!

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
From Amazon:

Trying to speak to the manager and demand special treatment but can’t muster the self-righteousness? You are looking for the Karen Wig! This costume piece is perfect for dressing up as the demanding, minivan obsessed, viral sensation herself. Featuring the signature blonde, chunky highlights and long asymmetrical bangs, this unmistakable pixie will be sure to put off people as soon as they see you coming. Created with cruelty free synthetic fibers, this wig can be easily maintained to survive any YouTube worthy outburst. Great for streaming funny videos, costume parties, and performances of all kinds. Karen’s capless cap construction is adjustable for a breathable and comfortable fit that will satisfy any attention hungry reality TV mom. The adjustable design can fit a head size up to 22 inches and be adjusted down for children 5 and up. Anyone can be a Karen, this design is appropriate for men, women, and folks of any gender.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Did a Karen write our zoning ordinance back in the early 60's -

We have as listed uses -

Hair products;
Jewelry;
Umbrellas and parasols;
Venetian blinds;
Window shades.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
California ‘Karen’ apologizes to Filipino man for calling cops over his chalk art

Couple apologizes after confronting man over 'Black Lives Matter' chalk in front of his home

Juanillo told the couple they could call the police if they thought he was breaking a law, and Alexander said they would.

"And that, people, is why black lives matter. That's 'Karen' and she's calling the cops," Juanillo said in his video, using internet shorthand for a white woman calling police to report a person of color doing an otherwise innocuous activity.
bolding is my emphasis

Bubba

Cyburbian
using internet shorthand for a white woman calling police to report a person of color doing an otherwise innocuous activity.
Please - Karen is so much more than that. Don't sell her short.

el Guapo

Capitalist
My 2 cents,
I believe that the people playing the Karen game have mean streak. For a online community that regularly proclaims its enlightenment and that it holds the high moral ground on damn near every social issue, please just imagine what it would be like for any woman in today's society if her name was Karen. Does someone deserve this level of derision and mockery because she, or her parents selected the name Karen? Participating in this social trend is nothing other than mean spirited misogyny.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
20 lashes with a wet noodle to all who proclaim to be enlightened beings yet judge others. For shame!
(those, however, not claiming Enlightenment please carry on)

Last edited:

Veloise

Cyburbian
My 2 cents,
I believe that the people playing the Karen game have mean streak. For a online community that regularly proclaims its enlightenment and that it holds the high moral ground on damn near every social issue, please just imagine what it would be like for any woman in today's society if her name was Karen. Does someone deserve this level of derision and mockery because she, or her parents selected the name Karen? Participating in this social trend is nothing other than mean spirited misogyny.
True story.

My 2 cents,
True story.
el Guapo & Veloise:
I admire your guts to speak up on a social trend that's become increasingly controversial.
If my wig posting sounded 'mean' or 'misogynistic' to either of you, then I apologize and will take down as much of the post as I can.

Veloise

Cyburbian
el Guapo & Veloise:
I admire your guts to speak up on a social trend that's become increasingly controversial.
If my wig posting sounded 'mean' or 'misogynistic' to either of you, then I apologize and will take down as much of the post as I can.
Generally I'm okay with much of the fun, and since I don't fit the stereotype ... the name was most popular in 1956, per the SSA. And I belong to a fairly ruthless (my middle name! har!) group on FB where all us Karens add comments, much to the dismay of those poking fun at us.
Thanks for asking. Leave it up.

DVD

Cyburbian
Having never met a Karen named Karen to include a girlfriend in the past I just take it that the internet needed to pick a name for people who complain a lot, but now I'm wondering, is there a male version of Karen? Can we call him James? Not Jim, he would be very clear his name is James and he would complain loudly about all kinds of problems. I don't see him as the live laugh love type though.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Having never met a Karen named Karen to include a girlfriend in the past I just take it that the internet needed to pick a name for people who complain a lot, but now I'm wondering, is there a male version of Karen? Can we call him James? Not Jim, he would be very clear his name is James and he would complain loudly about all kinds of problems. I don't see him as the live laugh love type though.
Ken. But I've also heard Chad is an alternative. This article says Ken, though.

DVD

Cyburbian
So basically Ken is all the developers I have to deal with and so much more.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
So basically Ken is all the developers I have to deal with and so much more.

Everyone knows it's Brad...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Certain names that have certain connotations, because of their disproportionate representation among a certain age or demographic group or subculture.. Through time, names get new stereotypes. "Karen" was kind of overdue, because it was so common among women born in the early and mid 1960s.

Take, for instance, an unusually common name among 50-something men in my hometown.

gary.jpg

That's his old lady, Brandi. Or Sandi. Or Terri. Probably Terri.

Picture a Jennifer. What comes to mind? Attractive middle class white woman, 40 to 50. What about Aiden or Jaiden? Their mom is probably Karen.

If I hear a name like "Joanne Pasternak" or "Joanne Muscarella", I think there's absolutely no way she's NOT a woman in her late 50s or early/mid 60s from Buffalo, with an accent so strong it breaks gleeYASS. "Frank Randazzo" is more Buffalo than a delivery of 50 wings and a large char-and-cup pepperoni pizza in a Chevrolet Equinox with a personalized license plate that reads "G0 B1LLZ" to a 1960s faux-Mediterranean house on a street with "Lea" in its name. I've met people who thought Jason Mraz was from Buffalo, because the name just "sounds Buffalo." What about "Bob Milanovic?" Dude is so Cleveland his last name should be hyphenated with "Heights". Something like "David Archuleta" or "Beatriz Trujillo" screams New Mexico louder than the state's license plates.