• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

G-D! Its about time! Yay!

donk

Cyburbian
no worse then me going for my monthly fix at the comic shop.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have yet to read these... I keep thinking that I might pick up a few from the kids, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jen

Cyburbian
I read the first one and listened to it on tape. Saw the movie and was very disapointed, the characters were just emotionless I flipped it off about halfway through.

Now LOtR, I am reading the last of the trilogy - I thought the movie was great!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I haven't had a desire to read those books. Is something wrong with me?
I haven't seen the movies nor have I read the books, nor am I an any hurry to do either. Eventually I am sure I will watch the movies.

jmf

Cyburbian
I have read the first two books and have the third one in wait for a stormy weekend- maybe this weekend :)

I have enjoyed the books so far but haven't seen the movie so I can't compare.

ecofem

Cyburbian
The books are pretty well-written for children's novels. They remind me of the Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis), which I loved as a kid (and still think are pretty darn cool.)

I was also a big narnia fan, and read all of the Oz books as a kid, as well as wrinkle in time series. but i just LOVE the HP books. the movies, well, they were ok. but i've just been completely sucked into the books. i'll probably be one of the sad sacks at borders at 12:01 friday the 20, and schedule nothing for the weekend so i can read the book. yay!

donk

Cyburbian
If you enjoyed the Oz books and like speculative fiction check out Phillip Jose Farmer's "A Barnstormer in Oz". It is a really good book. It is not a kids book. The premise is that Dorothy was a real person and that Oz does exist. Probably find it in the SF section of your book store.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
As you can see from my sig, I like Sci-fi books :D. I just love Bradbury, Asimov and William Gibson.
I liked C.S. Lewis' Narnia Chronicles, in my childhood. And the Screwtype letters were cool too.
I haven't read any Harry Potter novel, and I don't intend to do so. It's just not my type of novel.
I tried to read J.R.R. Tolkien's Hobbit but I got bored right away...

Oh, well everybody has diferent tastes, you don't have to like sci-fi, you're not going to be a bad person because you like Harry Potter or LotR.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'll have to reserve 2 copies to purchase, one for me and one for my son. Otherwise we'll be fighting over it!

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
If you enjoyed the Oz books and like speculative fiction check out Phillip Jose Farmer's "A Barnstormer in Oz". It is a really good book. It is not a kids book. The premise is that Dorothy was a real person and that Oz does exist. Probably find it in the SF section of your book store.
Those guys from the Houston Zoning forums asked me if I wanted to play Oz with them....I wasn't falling for that one.