• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Game of Thrones: who will sit on the Iron Throne? (possible spoilers)

Who's going to sit on the Iron Throne?

• Cersei Lannister

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jamie Lannister

• Arya Stark

• Bran Stark

• Sansa Stark

• Euron Greyjoy

• Lyanna Mormont

• Missandei

• Gendry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Timef or a Throne pool! You have six days to decide: who do you think will sit on the Iron Throne when it's all over?

Remember, GRRM has no qualms about killing off major characters.

DVD

Cyburbian
I think it becomes a combination of Jon Snow and Daenerys. They represent fire and ice. You know, it's in the title. No if the bastard could finish his damn books I could finish reading the series, but I guess there's no real money in that.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I voted nobody
because I never watched it
because it shown on some premium cable channel I won't pay for.

This show is it something made up or based on some book I never read ?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I voted for Tyrion mainly because I like him and while I don't really think he will be sitting on the Iron Throne at the end, I imagine whatever side he is working with will be the victorious one... which will probably be Jon and Dany.

I didn't see Varys or Littlefinger on the list but could see the producers putting one of them on the throne just to mess with viewers. I could also see some sort of big twist coming and having somebody from the Iron Bank or Essos in general taking over Westeros. FWIW, I don't know how much GRRM really has to do with the storyline anymore. I've read that he has told Weiss and Benioff what he sees as the basic idea for the ending in his books but that he's basically given HBO free reign to take it in whatever direction they want post season 5 or so.

___

For anybody interested in the show but hasn't started yet, I highly recommend the audio versions of the books. I read most of the first book after watching the 1st season and only made it about halfway through before giving up. But then I saw that my library had the audiobooks available to download so I did that. I was hooked and listened to the first 3 or 4 books before the 2nd season got underway. They are my go-to thing to listen to starting this time of year when the weather gets nice and I am out on longer runs.

I think it becomes a combination of Jon Snow and Daenerys. They represent fire and ice. You know, it's in the title. No if the bastard could finish his damn books I could finish reading the series, but I guess there's no real money in that.
He did just put out Fire & Blood which is a history of House Targaryen from the time of Aegon's Conquest up until Robert's Rebellion. I'm about a 3rd of the way through and really enjoy it. He's got a few other novellas that are supposed to provide more history of the ASOIAF universe. I wish he'd put out something detailing the history of the bigger free cities or maybe something about Westeros before Aegon's Conquest.

Reactions: Dan

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Who is the dragon lady? Whoever that is will win. As I've indicated elsewhere, I've never seen the show a single time, and I base this impression solely on the fact that the actress who plays her has been interviewed recently more than any of the other actors.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
My GF and I watched last night. I made a joke that it would be awesome that "Reek" claim the throne after getting his balls chopped off and beginning to reedem himself by saving his sister Euron. As always, Tyrion came up with the best line of the night:

“Because I have balls, and you don’t."

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My GF and I watched last night. I made a joke that it would be awesome that "Reek" claim the throne after getting his balls chopped off and beginning to reedem himself by saving his sister Euron. As always, Tyrion came up with the best line of the night:

“Because I have balls, and you don’t."
I thought that was a pretty good line. Right up there with Sansa asking, "What do two full grown dragons eat anyway?" and Dany responding flatly with, "Whatever they want."

dw914er

Cyburbian
I'm thinking the Night King is going to win. While Jon Snow is trying to get most people to see the need to group together to defeat the whitewalkers, their own desire for power will lead to backstabbings and divide the collective ability to fight the impending threat. The vanity for power resulting in everyone's collective demise would be a pretty strong statement, I also think that the Night King knows alot more about the 7 kingdoms than is initially lead on... the sign he left at the end of episode 1 seemed to be pretty key (https://nerdist.com/article/game-of-thrones-night-king-message-swirl/). Being able to kill dragons and then make them part of his army doesn't hurt, either.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I pick Sam...

The reason is I think he is the author of the 'book' and none of it is real but is actually a tale told to stir the imagination of those in the 7 kingdoms.

DVD

Cyburbian
I could see Tyrion or Sam on the throne if Jon and Dani do some kind of run away together and not rule the kingdom thing.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Seen on Reddit:

Samwell: "Can I get a pardon to go back home to my father?"
Daenerys: "I burned your father alive."
Samwell: "Fuck, well at least my brother will be in charge then."
Daenerys: "I also burned him alive."
Samwell: "...well, at least I can go home and play with my dog, T-Bone."
Daenerys: "I fed him to my dragons."
Samwell: ".......and my cat, Mittens...."
Daenerys: "I had her euthanized."
Samwell: "Well, I'd like to be left alone to eat my dinner."
Daenerys: "I ate your dinner."
Samwell: "I guess I'll just go to bed then."
Daenerys: "I took a shit in your bed."
Samwell: "........"
Daenerys: "Thank you for curing Sir Jorah."

AG74683

Cyburbian
I didn't see Littlefinger on the list but could see the producers putting one of them on the throne just to mess with viewers.
That's because Littlefinger is dead. Arya killed him towards the end of Season 7. That's where she got the Valyrian dagger Gendry commented on in S8 E1.

Being able to kill dragons and then make them part of his army doesn't hurt, either.
I think that means he's done it before. That's why he chose this specific time to start building his army and march on the wall. He knew without a dragon he couldn't take the wall down. I don't think he will win the Throne, but he will take out most of our favorite characters. I think ultimately most of those we know will be dead by the end of this season.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
That's because Littlefinger is dead. Arya killed him towards the end of Season 7. That's where she got the Valyrian dagger Gendry commented on in S8 E1.
I forgot all about that.

I think I confused myself as I was trying to re-watch all of seasons 6 and 7 last week before the start of season 8. I made it about halfway through season 7 by Sunday evening before giving up the effort so I missed
seeing Arya slit his throat again
but now that I think about it, I can vividly recall how satisfying that was to see. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to re-watch the final 3 episodes of season 7... and then of course re-watch episode 1 of season 8. ;)

terraplnr

Cyburbian
This seems to be the most obvious "who will win" answer based on the "Song of Fire and Ice" and the recent trajectory of Dany and Jon (until, perhaps, the most recent episode) but if I had to bet, I'd bet that they both end up ruling together.

And it's a legendary love story and everyone lives happily ever after with no more wars because the Seven Kingdoms are now one. :daydream:

Yeah, I know that's not how G.R.R.M. rolls. :ha:

DVD

Cyburbian
I kind of like Joffery's death. I was happy to see the spoiled brat go.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
"Suckled me at her teat for three months. That's how I got so strong. Giant's milk."

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've read a few reviews of yesterday's episode online and the critics seemed to really appreciate it and enjoy the "fan service" of bringing storylines together so they can hopefully close some out during the Battle of Winterfell. I, on the other hand, say "BORING!" At least we finally got that Arya/Gendry sex scene we've all been dying for!

Oh - if you didn't shed a tear during the Sansa and Theon reunion, you have no soul!

After last night's episode I was going to suggest maybe Sansa will be the one on the throne in the end and there will be a Sansa/Theon baby to carry on to start the dynasty, but...

• Haha

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I've read a few reviews of yesterday's episode online and the critics seemed to really appreciate it and enjoy the "fan service" of bringing storylines together so they can hopefully close some out during the Battle of Winterfell. I, on the other hand, say "BORING!" At least we finally got that Arya/Gendry sex scene we've all been dying for!

Oh - if you didn't shed a tear during the Sansa and Theon reunion, you have no soul!

After last night's episode I was going to suggest maybe Sansa will be the one on the throne in the end and there will be a Sansa/Theon baby to carry on to start the dynasty, but...
Yeah but Arya still has such a baby face, that a part of me was like, "she's not old enough yet!" :ha:

And the knighting scene. . . sniff sniff sniff :love:

All I know for sure is that next Sunday is going to be heart-attack inducing and this week was definitely a goodbye to a lot of folks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yeah but Arya still has such a baby face, that a part of me was like, "she's not old enough yet!" :ha:

And the knighting scene. . . sniff sniff sniff :love:

All I know for sure is that next Sunday is going to be heart-attack inducing and this week was definitely a goodbye to a lot of folks.
I think the problem with Arya for me is that she was so young when the show started and that we've basically watched her grow up so it seemed a little creepy... even if she is probably the most soulless killer on the show!

FWIW, the actress who plays Arya, Maisie Williams seems to be a really funny and fun person in interviews and there are reports that when season 5 or 6 was airing, she liked to find people on social media in Southern California that were having GoT-watch parties and then randomly show up.

My actual theory for how the show will end now:
Jon and Dany will both be killed off, Sansa will marry Theon so there will be no children there, and Arya will be pregnant with Gendry's child and they will marry and rule Westeros (either Arya or Jaimie will be the one to kill Cersei).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If Game of Thrones was filmed in the 1980s.

This is almost perfect. The Yamaha DX-7 music, the VCR tracking, the typefaces ... all it needs is shiny Scanimate animation.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Wow. That was supposed to be the biggest episode of the entire show. 8 years. An enormous build up to a final battle with an unstoppable foe. And. It. SUCKED.

I had no idea what was going on 99% of the time. It was so dark and dingy and just seemed to be a mess of people running all over the place. The battle plan was the stupidest thing I've ever heard of too. Lets just send wave after wave at a force we know will over run us. And THEN everyone we just sent out to die gets to come back and replenish the army we just fought.

Don't even get me started on the impossible plot armor most of these characters had. I swear every one of them should have died at least 5 times and somehow managed to survive. And to top it all off, the Night King thing was completely ridiculous. That's it? That is all it took to win that battle? After ALL that build up, that was it? Ughhhh.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Wow. That was supposed to be the biggest episode of the entire show. 8 years. An enormous build up to a final battle with an unstoppable foe. And. It. SUCKED.

I had no idea what was going on 99% of the time. It was so dark and dingy and just seemed to be a mess of people running all over the place. The battle plan was the stupidest thing I've ever heard of too. Lets just send wave after wave at a force we know will over run us. And THEN everyone we just sent out to die gets to come back and replenish the army we just fought.

Don't even get me started on the impossible plot armor most of these characters had. I swear every one of them should have died at least 5 times and somehow managed to survive. And to top it all off, the Night King thing was completely ridiculous. That's it? That is all it took to win that battle? After ALL that build up, that was it? Ughhhh.
I agree with most of your sentiments yet I still enjoyed it. lol

Everything being so dark and dingy has long been a problem with a lot of the episodes the past few seasons making it so hard to watch and see what's going on. I actually have a set of programmed resolution settings on the TV in my den that makes watching GoT much easier but it was still pretty dark.

I did have some other minor nits to pick
(like the Night King's stupid smirk after he emerged from the flames and started heading off towards Bran) but my biggest complaint was how Arya appeared out of nowhere to kill the Night King. Yes, I get it, they've been setting her up to be the hero for some time now but it was sort of lame how she said "Not today" and then just disappeared for 20+ minutes only to leap at the Night King out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

In the end, Bran has become the most annoying character and I sort of wish the Night King would have just ended him/it last night.

Last edited by a moderator:

AG74683

Cyburbian
(like the Night King's stupid smirk after he emerged from the flames and started heading off towards Bran) but my biggest complaint was how Arya appeared out of nowhere to kill the Night King. Yes, I get it, they've been setting her up to be the hero for some time now but it was sort of lame how she said "Not today" and then just disappeared for 20+ minutes only to leap at the Night King out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

In the end, Bran has become the most annoying character and I sort of wish the Night King would have just ended him/it last night.
That part I kind of understood. She's one of those face switching people now, so who knows where she really is half the time. I loved that part when she was in the library thing and how silent she was.

Bran is THE WORST. I still can't figure out how he manages to get around Winterfell. There's no handicap ramps anywhere from what I've seen and his wheelchair is definitely not off road capable. I still couldn't figure out WTF he was doing during the battle either. "I have to go now", and I guess he's ravens flying around just watching. I still don't get the point of him at all.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I really have no idea who that is. My son explained he was one of the characters in the show who has an albino dire wolf (or something to that effect). In the absence of that info, I found the picture mildly amusing; the t-shirt was funny. Finding out he's one of the actors and his character has a white dog-ish thing, the t-shirt gets even better.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I really have no idea who that is. My son explained he was one of the characters in the show who has an albino dire wolf (or something to that effect). In the absence of that info, I found the picture mildly amusing; the t-shirt was funny. Finding out he's one of the actors and his character has a white dog-ish thing, the t-shirt gets even better.
Haha, Wil Wheaton isn't in Game of Thrones. He's most famous for playing Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He also had a recurring role as himself in The Big Bang Theory. He also does a pretty popular web series where he gets a group of various folks together to play board games, hence the "Throne of Games" thing.

The dire wolf actor is Kit Harrington. He plays Jon Snow and is pretty awesome.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Last night's episode was a bit too dark (visually), I had to turn off all of the lights so that the only light was coming from the TV. And there were still parts where we were confused (which dragon is that? Did Gilly just die? etc). But, I think it's ok given the nature of the battle. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! And I want to rewatch it.

Bran exists in a different plane/realm/universe, so he doesn't bother me. Realistically, some more of the main characters should have died. But, they will be needed in the last epic battle, where I'm sure the losses will be very heart wrenching.

That part where Arya was trying to avoid the wights in the bookstacks... so nerve wracking!!!

dw914er

Cyburbian
Last night's episode was a bit too dark (visually), I had to turn off all of the lights so that the only light was coming from the TV. And there were still parts where we were confused (which dragon is that? Did Gilly just die? etc). But, I think it's ok given the nature of the battle. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! And I want to rewatch it.

Bran exists in a different plane/realm/universe, so he doesn't bother me. Realistically, some more of the main characters should have died. But, they will be needed in the last epic battle, where I'm sure the losses will be very heart wrenching.

That part where Arya was trying to avoid the wights in the bookstacks... so nerve wracking!!!
I have a crappy TV that was also affected by glare coming in... some of the scenes were really hard to see. I generally agree with AG's complaints, but still I liked the episode. That said, I am surprised more of the main cast didn't die. Cersie's probably thrilled that everyone else wiped out a big chunk of their army defending the north though.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just watched 8:3 and I don’t understand why the dragons turned into killer rabbits and why shrubbery became currency.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
From now on, each morning when I step out of my bed, I begin my day by whispering "What do we say to the god of death?" Just in the hope that one day I might be 15% as cool as Arya Stark.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Did anyone notice the Starbucks cup in the last episode?
The cycle is complete.

I wasn't paying attention that closely. I was thinking "shouldn't there be tight security at that party, since every surviving leader of Team Dany is in one place?" If Bronn could burst in on Tywin and Jamie Lannister so easily, couldn't a bunch of sellswords recreate the Red Wedding at the victory party? Same thing with Daenerys appearing with Tyrion Lannister and a bunch of Unsullied at the gates of King's Landing. Cersi could have launched the scorpions, and punched foot-wide holes through every person there.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The entire episode was absolutely full of tactical errors and plot holes. It might have been the worst episode I've ever seen, from a logical standpoint. As much as this season and last season have had some good points and great sequences, I really think the show writers and producers/directors don't really know what their doing without actual source material from GRRM to follow. I've come to the conclusion that HBO is just rushing to tie up as many storylines as possible and use whatever "TV magic" they need to use to make that happen now that they've limited themselves to 6 episodes this season.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The entire episode was absolutely full of tactical errors and plot holes. It might have been the worst episode I've ever seen, from a logical standpoint.
Aside from the previous episode, where the strategy for attacking the waves of wights was essentially pre-Roman "rush wildly at them enemy from the front". Some simple Roman-style tactics (see link) would have been much more believable.

Also, I'm surprised the living didn't depend more on archery -- bow-and-arrow, crossbow, whatever -- to reduce potentially fatal face-to-face combat, and felled bodies that the White Walkers could potentially turn into wights. Just rain dragonglass-tipped arrows on the wights, and defend on good-old-fashioned medieval defensive tactics, like dumping burning oil (maybe laced with dragonglass) or heated dragonglass sand onto wights at the walls of Winterfell.

The siege weapons were useless. You use them to attack fortifications, not oncoming troops.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
A small, secret part of me hopes that Dany gets killed, and in righteous anger and with nobody to control him, Drogon goes nucking futs and burns everything and everybody and then takes over the ruined Red Keep, Smaug style. That's a winning ending I think.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
A small, secret part of me hopes that Dany gets killed, and in righteous anger and with nobody to control him, Drogon goes nucking futs and burns everything and everybody and then takes over the ruined Red Keep, Smaug style. That's a winning ending I think.
I have been holding hope that we find out Fraggle Rock is below Winterfell and a party ensues.... we are running out of time.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Arsonist of the Realm, Queen of Ashes, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I know it's been "obvious" for a while (back to Season 1 according to some people, like my fiance) but I was still angry and disappointed in Dany for her fiery decision. Guess it's good old Jon boy for King.

And a little disappointed in Jamie, but not surprised.

Cleganebowl 2019 was epic, though.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Not a fan of that episode. There were good parts, but I feel like it is just quickly ending storylines instead of finishing the story. Arya is going to end up pointless. Dany will have to die. Jon is too easy of a pick. And we end up with Sansa and Bran. I would love to Tyrian to end up on the throne, but it won't happen.

Disappoint in how some characters died though. So ho-hum. I wanted more gore / excitement or something.

Top Bottom