• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Gap in planning work?

Watermark

I was curious what are the thoughts on someone that has planning experience but has a gap (different field) of a 1 or more years when applying for planning jobs? Is this a negative or something that can be overlooked?

I plan on accepting a position not as a planner but still within community development, but may want to return to planning if the new position is not a good fit.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
^^^Yeah, this. I don't see it as a red flag issue for you going forward.
And I say this as a 10+ year Community Development Director professional (18 years total in the profession).

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I agree with @mendelman and @Bubba that it shouldn't be a problem at all. I think Community Development has a very broad purview and you might be surprised at what allied fields wouldn't cause me to blink at a gap.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I agree with @mendelman and @Bubba that it shouldn't be a problem at all. I think Community Development has a very broad purview and you might be surprised at what allied fields wouldn't cause me to blink at a gap.
This.

You've got no worries from my perspective. This might sound odd, but as a hiring manager I kind of like seeing a diversity of experiences even if they might occasionally tread outside of traditional planning roles. The way I figure, you might have developed some skill that we don't even know we need until a couple of years down the road.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I know when we are hiring, we usually find the stronger candidates are the ones with planning experience AND community development experience (or planning AND economic development or planning AND social work or planning AND... you get the picture).

glutton

Cyburbian
no issue if allied profession. That experience might even help down the line!