• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Zoning Garage to studio apartment and backyard ADU

Travo

Hi all, how difficult would it be in your city for a resident in a SFR home to convert both their garage to a studio apartment, and add an ADU to their backyard? I'm sure it varies by region. But feel free to give me a rough % probability or a "haha yeah right". Thanks!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Hi all, how difficult would it be in your city for a resident in a SFR home to convert both their garage to a studio apartment, and add an ADU to their backyard? I'm sure it varies by region. But feel free to give me a rough % probability or a "haha yeah right". Thanks!
One ADU is easy as long as you have the septic capacity to support the additional "first bedroom."

The second apartment would make it a subdivision. World. Of. Hurt. 18 months. No guarantees as we have a growth management system.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our ADU provision is one per lot so if it's a single family zone, you get one ADU (subordinate in size, etc.)

Like Faust Motel, what you are describing is a subdivision under my state's statute, and, a 3 family which in the the single family zone, wouldn't be allowed

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We permit 'in-law suites' as conditionally permitted uses (requiring public hearing at PC) and require attached to principal building with owner and relative occupancy.

So, basically, we don't really permit ADUs.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Not a chance on septic, which is becoming more rare around here.

One ADU is permitted in most residential districts, a third would take a use variance. Hard to say that it would be authorized.

DVD

Cyburbian
We only allow "guest houses" in larger lot zoning. It has to be a separate house. Contracts have figured out how to play us. They build an accessory workshop or office that has everything but a stove. I'm sure the stove gets added later. As long as we don't see a secondary kitchen, read stove, we are okay with it. For something like a garage unit there would have to be a door between the garage unit and the house so it stays part of the house.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
1 ADU on a lot with a single family, easy.

Both the garage as an apartment and an ADU (totalling 3 units), nope, not happening.