• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Gas "canopies" and signs

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm having some trouble deciding what to do with the 'canopies' that cover gas pumps (gas bars in Canada). They are not really canopies by definition (according to our bylaw at least), since they do not extend from a building but are rather free-standing. Also, the signage requested for these structures is typically larger than the signs proposed for typical canopies attached to a building (like an awning). Bleh... it all gives me a headache.

How does your jurisdiction handle signage on gas 'canopies'... do you even call them canopies?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We do call them gas canopies. Signage is limited to one sign or graphic / logo and limited to 5% of the surface area facing a street.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Signs can occupy 20% of the fascia plane of the canopy. We consider these to be wall signs for determining sign size.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We do not allow signs on canopys. Our Code states that wall signs must be on the wall of the principal structure. We have 3-4 grandfathered canopy signs in the City and the Plan Commission recently allowed a logo (but no text) on a canopy to break up the green band around the canopy (PB Amoco).

Wulf9

Subject to design review. Gas canopies are a unique and obtrusive design feature, particularly when they are tall enough for truck clearance. There is no doubt that the structure is a gas station.

Beware the under canopy lighting. Most gas canopy lighting is designed to "advertise" the station's presence by a bright poof of ambiant light that affects the entire neighborhood.

We don't allow canopy signs and require that lights be recessed into the canopy to reduce light spread.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Another thing -

We are starting to require all canopies to the SIDE or REAR of the facility. They brumble but they do it. I have a few good pics I'll post next week.

donk

Cyburbian
Like slave, we consider them to be facia signs and they must comply with the regs related to that type of signage.

A question for Repo, if it is a gas station, is the structure that covers the pump not the primary structure on the lot?

Rem

Cyburbian
We don't have specific controls for 'petrol station' forecourt awnings, but these controls would come into play;

For Fascia Signs –
Located on an awning, are confined to the height of the awning and its length parallel to the street, ; Do not project more than 0.3 metres out from the fascia and/or walls, &; Integrate with the design of the building.
and size would be limited by the following control;

In Urban Centre Zones:
Where a business use has: a single street FRONTAGE - 1m2 for every 2 metres of BUILDING FRONTAGE
up to a maximum of 5m2, ; more than one street frontage - 1m2 for every 4 metres building frontage up to a maximum of 5m2.
In Industrial Zones:
Where the building has: ; a single street frontage – 1m2 for every 4 metres of building frontage up to a maximum of 5m2, ; more than one street frontage – 1m2 for every 8 metres of building frontage up to a maximum of 5m2.
To control light and glare spillage we have the following:

The design, installation and operation of lighting is carried out so that no unreasonable impact from light, glare or
reflection is caused to the surrounding neighbourhood.
A1. The design, installation and operation of the lighting complies with Australian Standard AS 4282 – 1997 Control of
the obtrusive effects of outdoor lighting. Compliance with the standard is deemed to have been achieved if the relevant recommendations in Tables 2.1 and 2.2 of the standard are
satisfied.
Any flood lighting is restricted to those types that give no upward component of light when mounted horizontally.
Materials, colours and window tinting with low reflection qualities are utilised
Development maintains a reflectivity index of less than 10 percent.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Another thing -

We are starting to require all canopies to the SIDE or REAR of the facility. They brumble but they do it. I have a few good pics I'll post next week.
Yeah, we did a nice one in Vancouver that was pedestrian oriented at the corner of an intersection (entrance to mini mart portion was only on the corner, and the canopies were tucked behind the main structure.) It looked really nice. I'd love to see other pics though.