• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

GD!!! It's Cold!

This is just a shout out to Cat's weather page, for making me feel better that it is a whopping 9 degrees here this morning (wind chill -1), but then I realized I could be Christine in Michigan. hee.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cat's page sez its 14F here, but my trusty patio gauge sez it is 8F. Add 4" of lake effect snow and Blarg! it's winter in Wisconsin.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
holy moly i had no idea DC could get so cold this early in the season. The local weather station is saying its 21 out with a real feel of 9.

I thought DC was in the SOUTH!

Hey and its the first week of Dec and they are calling for 4-6 in of snow Wed night/Thurs Am in the District.

I am not happy about this at all.

can anyone explaine the rush to buy:
milk
TP
Bread
?

do they think we will be snowed in for a month? sheesh! Ive been showed in before in freak snowstorms *recalls the one in 95* and never ran out of food or TP!

gripes i hate the GD cold
too cold for latex

Jeff

Cyburbian
Let's just say I was a popsicle yesterday outside hunting, and today is even colder. I walked the dog around the block and froze.

It hasn't been this cold in the winter time in a long time around here.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hey the mason dixon line is the MD and Penn state line (and part of Del.)

though i dont claim to be a southerner *or yank for that matter*

its just friggin COLD

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hides under her sweater

*whimpers* i already look like that kid in the christmas movie-i have more layers on than most whales. even when i sleep anymore.

donk

Cyburbian
with wind chill today it is -27 c. The humidity in the air makes it feel even colder.

Planner girl, try cycling arm wamers and leg warmers instead of latex. And if you get castelli clothing, the paulo pezzo stuff looks like latex, all shiny and smooth.

as for real warm cloths that are not too bulky, i have a patagonia long sleeve undershirt that is awesomely warm and thin and repels stink.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol i have the whole silk long johns thing going, fleece, ski jacket, leather gloves with thinsulate, wool sweater etc i even have flannal PJs-im going to forget what my body looks like if it stays this cold for long. I think it would not be so bad but the weather here changes a lot, 50s one day and bam your frozen, they are calling for mid 40s on saterday, then icy stuff on sunday

That is what makes it feel colder i tend to think.

ok ill stop bitching now *goes to make godiva hot cocoa*

el Guapo

Capitalist
20F - That's 350 Canadian

Yo - Nature's naturally insulated male here. Givin his propers to old man winter.

(The preceding sentence was constructed by someone with no street credibility and should not be taken as authentic "Jerry Springer Audience Member Certified" speech.)

My deer/beer gut gives me an overall R-12 value.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
It was 4º F when I stepped ouside to start the car (and my wife's car) this morning at 7:30. I love the feel of the cold in the morning. :) Woke me right up.

Had a bit of snow last night....which was nice, as my wife, daughter, and I decorated the christmas tree (my wife goes all out...hot cocoa and christmas music playing during the decorating) after they took me out for dinner.

donk

Cyburbian
mike d said

I walked the dog around the block and froze

what mike, you don't ride outside all year round?

I make it an effort to ride at least once outside every month of the year. On track for 5 years straight.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
It IS cold, but so darn pretty out!! As long as I can be INSIDE looking out, I am fine!! Of course, I'd rather be at home wearing some flannel jammies, wrapped up in a blanket, burning a candle, sipping hot choclate, and reading a good book....and lets not forget Jerry Springer on in the background (j/k)

nerudite

Cyburbian
The high here today is 12F... but it's *beautiful* out. Yeah, it's cold... but it's sunny and there's no wind. I don't care how cold it gets... if there is no wind, I'm good.

When it's this cold out, you just have to stay in and make your own heat. C'mon people... this could be fun. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
An olde, but a goodie.

An annotated thermometer

°C °F
15 60 Californians put on sweaters (if they can find one in their wardrobe)

10 50 Miami residents turn on the heat

5 40 You can see your breath
Californians shiver uncontrollably
Canadians go swimming

2 35 Italian cars don't start

0 32 Water freezes

-1 30 You plan your vacation to Australia
Canadians put on T-shirts
Politicians begin to worry about the homeless
British cars don't start

-4 25 Boston water freezes
Californians weep pitiably
Minnesotans eat ice cream
Swedes go swimming

-7 20 You can hear your breath
Politicians begin to talk about the homeless
New York City water freezes
Miami residents plan vacation further South

-10 15 French cars don't start
You plan a vacation in Mexico
Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you

-12 10 Too cold to ski
You need jumper cables to get the car going

-15 5 You plan your vacation in Houston
American cars don't start

-18 0 Swedes put on T-shirts
Too cold to skate

-23 -10 German cars don't start
Eyes freeze shut when you blink

-26 -15 You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo
Arkansans stick tongue on metal objects
Miami residents cease to exist

-30 -20 Cat insists on sleeping in your pajamas with you
Politicians actually do something about the homeless
Swedes shovel snow off roof
Japanese cars don't start

-32 -25 Too cold to think
You need jumper cables to get the driver going

-35 -30 You plan a two week hot bath
The Mighty Monongahela freezes
Swedish cars don't start

-40 -40 Californians disappear
Swedes button top button
Canadians put on sweaters
Your car helps you plan your trip South

-45 -50 Congressional hot air freeze
Swedes close the bathroom window

-60 -80 Hell freezes over
Polar bears move south

-65 -90 Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets

Habanero

Cyburbian
Wow, it's an icy 54 degrees here. ha ha. We won't turn on the heat, or I doubt it seriously- our house motto: "bundle up B*tch!"

:)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Thanks for including celcius there, El Guapo! Could we get it in Kelvin too? Things always seem warmer in degrees Kelvin...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Need an accurate forecast?

Maybe Gus here could help out your local meteorologists:

Meet Gus Wickstrom, a man who claims he can predict weather patterns six months in advance. Incredibly, Gus, from Saskatchewan in America, doesn't use computers, or technology of any sort to perform his meteorological miracle. Gus Wickstrom uses pigs' guts. Twice a year Gus, using a technique learned from his father, slaughters a pig, plucks out its spleen, and tells you whether it's going to rain. Six months from now.

Gus's technique requires dividing the spleen into six sections, one for each month in his half-year cycle. Depending on the thickness of the spleen's section (the thicker it is, the colder it'll probably be), Gus can predict rain, snow, sun - even the temperature. Apparently.

Seventy two year-old Joe King is another spleen-studier. However, Joe believes the spleen must be removed in the autumn or early winter; any later, and the spleen is rubbish. You can find out more here at the Farmer's Almanac… but first let us finish with the words of the pig-spleen experts, who remind us that the spleen is a vascular, ductless organ that stores blood and destroys worn out blood cells. "The spleen is a useful organ that has bodily functions. It has nothing to do with predicting the weather," this well-balanced article informs us. And who are we to disagree?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Tranplanner said:
Thanks for including celcius there, El Guapo! Could we get it in Kelvin too? Things always seem warmer in degrees Kelvin...
"This man is quite obviously educated. Note that he did not say "degrees Kelvin" to which the rest of this assemblage of Philistines is wont" - Charles W. Kingsfield Jr.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
mike d said

what mike, you don't ride outside all year round?

I make it an effort to ride at least once outside every month of the year. On track for 5 years straight.
Sure do...I ride Tues/Thurs nights and Sat/Sun, no matter what the temp, as long as it isn't raining.

I start an indoor program with my coach on Monday though, so I won't be outside during the week until it warms up a little, and then Crits start in February. Nothing like a 4-corner crit on icy roads, will make a man outta ya.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Right now in Toledo, at 7:00 EST, its 7F. 7! That's colder than Barrow, AK.

This is the coldest place on the Cyburbia list other than Winnepeg

nerudite

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Right now in Toledo, at 7:00 EST, its 7F. 7! That's colder than Barrow, AK.

This is the coldest place on the Cyburbia list other than Winnepeg
It's only 0F here (but still not as bad as Winterpeg). I was out last night until late, and I think it said it was -4F (plus the wind chill) when I got home. Quite a disparity from the 50F weather we had three days ago.

We're enjoying a balmy 16 degrees this morning and the wind is gone. yay! when we let the dogs in after their morning romp today, jesse tried to bring her outdoor tennis ball inside and the ball was frozen rock solid and just thumped on the linoleum. poor monkey was so confused when it wouldn't bounce.

donk

Cyburbian
It is now officially winter here, the river froze over for the first time and is not thawing with the sun on it. Its about 3 weeks early.