• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

GEEK ALERT -- Computer Question

Jeff

Cyburbian
Here's the deal ... Windows XP with the built in CD burning software (Roxio)

In the windows explorer you can highlight data files, copy them to the CDRW drive, from that drive click "write CD" and burn it.

It usually takes me about 7 mins to burn 700 mb of data ( .shn or .flac files usually).

So I cue up the files to burn last night, and the wizard says 120 minutes on the timer, even after repeated reboots, retries, etc.

Audio using "Feurio" burn fine.

I downloaded "Burn Quick" from download.com and it works great, data burns at 40X so it isn't the burner.

Any ideas?

I've never had any luck with Adaptec/Roxio software. I may just take it off and pay the $15.00 for the Burn Quick license.

Anyone know any data burner programs that are free, and not spyware?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Clone CD is great for making exact duplicates of software cds. It asks you to register, but no functionality is disabled if you don't.

I almost always use Music Match Jukebox for all of my data, mp3 and audio burning. After 5 burns they want your money, but there are ways around that if you don't want to pay 20 bucks.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Just break down and get the full NERO burning software package. Either the germans have overlooked the update section, or I have recieved free updates to the latest software for life. It the best burning software out there and it is DEFINATLY worth it. If you are running XP or 2000 you will need to download a patcha called burning rights. If you get NERO, I would send the directions to deal with the burning rights patch.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I use MusicMatch for my audio burns and it works great. I've heard good things about NERO and Clone CD, but haven't actually used them. I haven't had any trouble with my Easy CD Creator that came with my computer. Good luck!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Nero is like $100.oo. I don't need it right now because I'm not burning DVDs. Feurio is the same thing as Nero (w/o DVD) but you gotta buy the license to burn data (25 Euro). The whole international purchase is what is getting me.

H

Cyburbian
There is a free Nero that I use. I got it right off there website, dont remember where though, so snoop around or call your Cd burner manufacturer and tell them you need software to use the device. That is who lead me to the free version of Nero. and I like it. :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Mike D. you really think many people buy these programs? ever heard about cracks? :)
My CD burner program of choice is Prassi CD burner.

I sold my soul to Bill Gates and got XP to get a laptop last year. Sigh. Some things about XP are flakey. I have Nero. I like it. I don't know how or where my 'tech support department' (aka my cheap skate husband) got it, but I would bet a nickle that he didn't pay $100 for it. So, look into Huston's suggestion.

It is fun just for the play on words: Nero Burning ROM (it actually says that somewhere). Germans: got to love that sick sense of humor.

H

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
It is fun just for the play on words: Nero Burning ROM (it actually says that somewhere). Germans: got to love that sick sense of humor.
Enlighten us, what does that mean?

Jeff

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Mike D. you really think many people buy these programs? ever heard about cracks? :)
If only my German was up to speed my young friend I could've done this a while ago.

Huston said:
Enlighten us, what does that mean?
Nero was the Caesar who was infamous for 'fiddling while Rome burned' and, if I recall right, was suspected of having engineered the fire so that he could expand his palace -- as if it weren't big enough already. So, "Nero burning ROM" is one letter different from "Nero burning Rome". (And my mom is German, so I find a lot of German stuff funny, as a bicultural part-time member of the culture.)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This isn't a l337 hax0r board. Let's try not to discuss cracking techniques here.