• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Geographical Ignorance is FUN!

jmf

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Here's one for you ...

Identify the part of North America (excluding Central America and the Caribbean) that is NOT in Mexico, Canada or the United States.
]

St Pierre et Miquelon is French ummmm I mean Freedom. Located just south of Newfoundland.

damn, donk beat me to it.

donk

Cyburbian
TP, your reference to Tilsonburg made me think of this. Place names from Stompin' Tom songs:

What city is famous for this line?

"The girls are out to Bingo and the boys are gettin' stinko,"

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Uh, that'd be Sudbury. Hometown of Mrs. Tranplanner.

I didn't think anyone would get the Tilsonburg reference. Stompin' Tom is a Canadian Icon.

BKM

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
There is no confluence of three rivers. Where would the water go if there was?
Downtown Pittsburgh is located at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, which marks the formation of the Ohio River.

All right, All Right, Mr. Smarty Pants :)

Tom R

Cyburbian
quiz

Dan said:
Here's one for you ...

Identify the part of North America (excluding Central America and the Caribbean) that is NOT in Mexico, Canada or the United States.

Any foreign embassy?

biscuit

Cyburbian
BKM said:
biscuit said:
Downtown Pittsburgh is located at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, which marks the formation of the Ohio River.

All right, All Right, Mr. Smarty Pants :)

Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself. Too much of an academic team dork for my own good. :)

EDIT: Pimp...uhhhh...I mean I'm too much of a Pimp for my own good. Wow that was close. I almost let my secret out.

Tom R

Cyburbian
pgh

biscuit said:

Signed
The Pittsburgh Minister of Information

That is why that reference irritates me!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canada

Tranplanner said:
Oh jeez - Simcoe? Delhi (pronounced Del-hi)? They're all big in tobacco.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Yes, Delhi is the heart of Canada's tobacco country, or at least was. For many years, the government has regulated how much tobacco can be grown, and the town has suffered incredibly. There was a good profit margin in tobacco, and almost none in commodity crops. Last year, the tobacco exchange closed.

I have many members of the extended family in Delhi, mostly tobacco farmers in the older generations. None in my generation are in farming. Seeing what happened to Delhi was one of the things that got me interested in economic development and planning.

donk

Cyburbian
The Tobacco Belt

As the area in question has skilled farmers, hot and humid weather and the gov't has legalized hemp production there has been talk about helping the tobbacco farmers switch to growing hemp. Now only if you silly Americans, with your yellow journalism (Hearst 1930's) would recognize the benefits of hemp.

And I am not a hippy dippy pot smoker as some would believe, I am a realist as i live in an area dependent on forestry and see the problems first hand with "managed forestry" and the economy.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Wow.. I took 3 tests of the national geographic bee , and got them all flawless (well, I made a mistake in the 2nd test.. but I got it on the 2nd try ;))
BTW, Greenland is geographically (or if you prefer Geologically) a part of North America, Politically it belongs to Denmark...

The dead sea, is below the sea level, so the water is just trapped there, the reason of why it's so salty is because of all the sediments it recieves by the rivers that feed the sea and because the heat makes water evaporate and leaving the salt in the sea.

Since some are asking dificult geography questions I'll give you one... :D

Find Tuvalu! ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Since some are asking dificult geography questions I'll give you one... :D

Find Tuvalu! ;)

It's an island group consisting of nine coral atolls in the South Pacific Ocean, about one-half of the way from Hawaii to Australia.

[Thanks, Skel. I learned something new today!]

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
and one of the main commercial activities is phone sex..... and the profits of the .tv domain (acording to Lonely Planet) :p

It's next to Fiji (they share a border, that's of course in the sea)
And of course the only way to get there from the US or any other part of the world is going to fiji and then taking a charter to Tuvalu...

donk

Cyburbian
and the capital is Fongafale.

The CIA is good for something other than assinating foreign leaders and importing narcotics.

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
A few outstanding one’s I observed,

“Is it different here from living in the South?” asked by a native of Denver on the differences between Denver and St. Louis.

“That’s it I know it!” relocated Californian in Denver (with and MBA mind you) pointing to Iowa and stating it was Missouri. Asked her to locate it as a joke, it was our last date.

“So you must have popped over on the weekends a lot” A friend of mine in London who thought that St. Louis was close enough to Washington D.C. to visit in a day.

“I bet you can’t wait to get home to the warm” Office secretary at the university when I left to visit my parents in St. Louis two Years ago Christmas. I left a 40-degree England to arrive in 27 degree St. Louis

Of course I have also seen people in the US not knowing where Poland was, a lot of people have trouble with South Asian countries and cities. Africa can be confusing, I have found myself reaching for the Atlas when reading about growth in so called “third world” world cities and in recent years have had to add new names (sometimes hard to pronounce) to my vocabulary.

In fact while living in the UK I found a lot of English really had little knowledge of the US, outside of New York, Florida, Texas and California. A lot had never heard of the major mid-west cities and was amazed when I would tell them the populations of them. One girl confided in me that she had dreaded going to Chicago, and was amazed when she got there that it was as large and diverse as it is. Mind you she was an Oxford grad who was pretty well versed in geography, other than the US, that is.

I don’t hold the geographical ignorance against the English necessarily. I don’t expect Europeans or the English to know much about the geography of the central US. After all, our media (and there’s) has deemed the place not all that worthy of knowledge. The irony is that the English tend to think of us as the ones that know nothing beyond our boarders.