• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Geography mistakes in movies

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Went to see Cold Mountain this weekend. Good movie, except for one obvious mistake. The film takes place in the Civil (yeah, right) War or War Betwen the States for you Southerners although the film was shot a great deal in Bulgaria, North Carolina, too. My complaint is that in some of the mountain scenes, several of the mountains are much too tall to be the Appalachian Mountains.

Any other geography mistakes in movies that most people without any interest in geography could care less about?

Last edited:

ludes98

Cyburbian
How about Austin Powers actually making the comment while driving that Southern California in no way looks like England?

H

Cyburbian
Yes, growing up in Georgia watching the Dukes of Hazard on TV it would make me so mad to see them drive thru what was obviously California and call it Georgia. I mean, come on, the boys would drive for miles and never pass a pine tree or a patch of red clay. :p

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In Close Encounters of the Third Kind the setting is supposed to be Muncie, Indiana but a look into the distance reveals geographic features known commonly as "hills". If you've ever been to Middletwon, U.S.A., you know why we're laughing.

It's this flat _____________________________________.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Geography mistakes are rampant in movies, particularly in Westerns. You see the towering mountains of the Colorado representing the Indian Territory (Oklahoma) in "True Grit", Monument Valley representing Texas in "The Searchers," The most laughable is in "The Rare Breed" where Brian Keith announces in a thick Scottish accent that Hereford cattle will never survive the brutal Texas winters and later in the movie Jimmy Stewart is seen pushing through huge drifts of snow looking for a prized Hereford bull. I suppose the most glaring I've seen was some TV show where the hero went undercover in a Louisiana prison, and you could see mountains in the background.

Bangorian

"Message in a Bottle" was filmed in the town I live in (and the nearby beach) here in Maine, but supposedly set in North Carolina. I haven't seen the movie(yet), but I'm skeptical - the coasts of Mid-Coast Maine and North Carolina are about as different as night and day.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The maps behind the Weekend Update crew on SNL have been made by the blind since the inception of the show in the 1970s. They drive me nuts in an OCD way. Look some time to see what I mean.

Another bad-geography favorite are the large wire-frame globes one sees behind "non-denominational" preachers.

Another favorite are the canyons and buttes around Dodge City, Kansas on Gunsmoke (Which in no way look like southern California ;))

boiker

Cyburbian
wayne's world

in waynes world two, during the crane shot of the concert-goers entering the park in Aurora, IL, you see, snowcapped (i think) mountains in the background.

Again... us flatlanders know better.. ____________________

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
H said:
I mean, come on, the boys would drive for miles and never pass a pine tree or a patch of red clay. :p
Or a 100' tall double-decker billboard, a Waffle House, a Sonny's BBQ, a fireworks stand, or giant roadside crosses.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Or a 100' tall double-decker billboard advertising Tifton, a Waffle House, a Sonny's BBQ, a fireworks stand, or giant roadside crosses.
Or any of these...

H

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Or any of these...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................boiled p-nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

biscuit

Cyburbian
The scene in Die Hard 3 when the truck goes off a bridge and plunges a couple of hundred feet onto the escaping terrorists boat is supposedly set outside of New York City. But if you look at the shot closely you can obviously see the church steeples and harbor of Charleston, South Carolina, where it was filmed.

And has anyone else noticed that the hillsides of Mayberry on the Andy Griffith Show look an awful lot like those found in Southern California? Must be a result of the odd climate and topography found only in the Mt. Pilot sub-region of the North Carolina piedmont.

Tom R

Cyburbian
The Deer Hunter

Someone went to a great extent to make the bar scene and the town look like a PA mill town but then they cut away to the mountains to hunt and they wind up in the snow capped Rockies nowhere near like the Allegheny Mountains that I know. Another thing that bothered me was the one actor, thankfully I forgot his name, is shown as a an Army Staff Sergeant with a goatee. Not in the Army I knew. I think that in Apocalypse now they had the sun setting presumedly over the south China Sea, but that would be in the east. Minor detail.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
-In "Bruce Almighty", some of the street scenes were shot in San Diego, although the story was set in Buffalo. Still they did show some good shots of Buffalo and Niagara Falls they had to throw Jim Carey into.

-I remember the movie "Stigmata" or something close to that spelling was suppose to take place in Pittsburgh, although clearly you could tell it was shot partially in NYC when they showed the street scenes.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I remember the movie "Stigmata" or something close to that spelling was suppose to take place in Pittsburgh, although clearly you could tell it was shot partially in NYC when they showed the street scenes.
I saw that one too... I think it was filmed in Vancouver though. Vancouver is a city double for a lot of movies these days...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The show Providence was so bad I couldn't watch it for geographical mistakes. I did catch some funny approximations of Rhode Island accents though that almost approached Cockney.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I believe some scenes in "Spy kids" were filmed in Chile, I haven't seen the movie, so that's what I've heard. Anyways I doubt that the plot said that the place where they are was Chile...

Any guy/gal with kids that was forced to see it ('cause I doubt anybody would WANT to see that movie :p)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I saw that one too... I think it was filmed in Vancouver though. Vancouver is a city double for a lot of movies these days...
Maybe it was Vancouver, I just thought it reminded me of NY because of the cabs and 4 laned one-way streets.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I don't remember the name, but there was a made-for-television movie I came across that was so bad I just had to watch. It was about the salt mines under New Orleans collapsing. Ummm... mines under New Orleans? The Mississippi River level is above street level in the French Quarter. They must have some awfully good pumps.

It's funny how many movies and television shows are shot in southern California, and the scenery is not even close to what it is supposed to represent.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Cardinal said:
(snip)..Ummm... mines under New Orleans? The Mississippi River level is above street level in the French Quarter. They must have some awfully good pumps.... (snip)
Off-topic: There are salt mines under Detroit and that can't be much more than 10 feet above the Detroit River.

kms

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
And has anyone else noticed that the hillsides of Mayberry on the Andy Griffith Show look an awful lot like those found in Southern California? Must be a result of the odd climate and topography found only in the Mt. Pilot sub-region of the North Carolina piedmont.
I see the same mountain range that was behind MASH 4077 in a lot of movies and TV shows.

Disney's Pocahontas showed Pocahantas diving from a high waterfall that you'd have a hard time finding in tidewater Virginia.

nerudite

Cyburbian
kms said:
I see the same mountain range that was behind MASH 4077 in a lot of movies and TV shows.
Yeah, that would be the Santa Monica mountains in/around Malibu Creek State Park. Nice hiking trails all through that area. :)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
In Last of the Mohican's, which was set in upstate New York, I believe, there are many scenes in the forest which looks too a littel too temporate to be located at that latitude. Sure enough, it was filmed in North Carolina.

In the obscure movie The Dream Catcher , (not the Stephen King film but a 2000 release), there are several scenes set in Reno, Nevada, but they were actually filmed in Dayton-Springfield, Ohio! (You can clearly see State Route 41 in one scene)

In Hang 'em High which is set in Oklahoma, there are several scenes that are just too desertic or arid to be filmed even for Oklahoma. Most likely it was filmed in Arizona or Utah instead.

ludes98

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
X-files anyone? Early on, the show was rarely filmed outside of Vancouver because the city can duplicate so many other cities. I think they didnt move the show till season 6 or 7, so most scenes prior to that are Vancouver and surrounding area.

SlaveToTheGrind said:
The film takes place in the Civil (yeah, right) War or War Betwen the States for you Southerners
No, that would be "The Waaah of Nothuhn Aggreshun" for us Suthuhnuhs. ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Super Amputee Cat said:
In Hang 'em High which is set in Oklahoma, there are several scenes that are just too desertic or arid to be filmed even for Oklahoma. Most likely it was filmed in Arizona or Utah instead.
Wasn't that entire series of films, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, For a Few Dollars More... filmed in the southern (read arid climate) portion of Italy - thus the term Spaghetti Western?

otterpop

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Wasn't that entire series of films, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, For a Few Dollars More... filmed in the southern (read arid climate) portion of Italy - thus the term Spaghetti Western?
"Hang 'Em High" was filmed in the good ole U.S.A. It was, if memory serves me right, the first Western Eastwood shot after his spaghetti western triology (The Good, The Bad and the Ugly; A Fistfull of Dollars; and a Few Dollars More)

BKM

Cyburbian
I thought Clint's trilogy was filmed in the more desolate part of Spain (the Castillian plateau).

My bro bought me a DVD of \

"The Good, The Bad, The Ugly"

Cool!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Almost every movie or television series taking place in outer space - Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Gallactica and even the Star Wars movies - have actually been filmed on earth. This does not include Dr. Who. You could never get that sort of realism in a fake locale.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Almost every movie or television series taking place in outer space - Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Gallactica and even the Star Wars movies - have actually been filmed on earth...
Thanks for bursting my bubble.;)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Almost every movie or television series taking place in outer space - Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Gallactica and even the Star Wars movies - have actually been filmed on earth. This does not include Dr. Who. You could never get that sort of realism in a fake locale.
Hehehe. Good one, Cardinal. Best post of this thread.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
In the movie "Santa Conquers the Martians" the scenes of Mars weren't really filmed in Mars! :p

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
how about in "A Mighty Wind" when Eugene Levy's character, "Mitch" goes to Albany, NY to visit Catherine O'Hara's character, "Mickey" and the only reason you know he's apparently in Albany is the sign on the side of the stucco-mesa style building that is supposed to be the Greyhound Station. Filmed partially in NYC, had the crew actually traveled up the Hudson to Albany they would have realized that the Greyhound Bus station is nestled under several overpasses for 787 and is also located downtown. Aside from a cluster of homes, there are no stucco buildings in Albany.

Rem

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Does ABC broadcast Coast to Coast too?
Interesting site - some real gold there:

Time Travel Report
George Noory gave a report on Monday's show about the recent "time travel" experiment he underwent just after Christmas. He described the experience as being more akin to hypnosis or remote viewing rather than any kind of physical travel.

In the experiment which was conducted by Dr. Irving Glotch, George was induced into a type of trance state, by wearing a helmet that was outfitted with revolving eye goggles...
I reckon the guy may have been wearing beer goggles, not 'revolving eye goggles'. I will let the real ABC know what they are missing out on - maybe they can pick it up.;)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
kms said:
I Disney's Pocahontas showed Pocahantas diving from a high waterfall that you'd have a hard time finding in tidewater Virginia.
Not only that, you would have had a hard time finding a woman with a body like that in the late 1600's (I'd have a difficult time finding someone with a body like that in any time period).

Bangorian

another one

The American Pie movies were set in Grand Rapids, MI and on the campus of MSU in East Lansing. I don't believe that a single second of those movies was shot in MI, and definitely no footage was shot at MSU (the MSU they show is SO fake!)

American Wedding, however, may have been filmed up in NW Michigan (during the resort scenes), but I have a feeling it was a sandy stretch of California. Also, when they visit Chicago, it looks a lot more like LA to me...

The Irish One

The x files movie, they're supposed to be in Texas, not so clearly there are California mountains in the background of the playground.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
how about in "A Mighty Wind" when Eugene Levy's character, "Mitch" goes to Albany, NY to visit Catherine O'Hara's character, "Mickey" and the only reason you know he's apparently in Albany is the sign on the side of the stucco-mesa style building that is supposed to be the Greyhound Station. Filmed partially in NYC, had the crew actually traveled up the Hudson to Albany they would have realized that the Greyhound Bus station is nestled under several overpasses for 787 and is also located downtown. Aside from a cluster of homes, there are no stucco buildings in Albany.
Another Christopher Guest movie geography mistake...
In a scene from "Best in Show" there is an aerial night shot of the arena in Philadelphia where tha Mayflower Dog Show is supposed to be occuring. Problem is that the shot is stock footage of Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh.