• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Planning? Geography to urban planning question?

IK02

Hello all, new here. I've hit a bit of a crossroads in my academic plan and I'm not quite sure the direction I should go. I am pursuing a geoscience degree with a concentration in geography and urban studies, and I have the option to take master's classes and finish with a master's degree in just one extra year. This is attractive to me because along with a GIS certificate, I would be much more eligible for jobs in the geography field. My goal however is to be a planner, and this would obviously involve a planning master's. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and get the geoscience master's degree as well as a backup, and I'm worried that having two somewhat closely related master's degrees might be overkill or make me overqualified, but it also seems much more secure. Has anyone here had a similar path? Is a geography degree enough to get my foot in the door in most places?

Reactions: Dan

glutton

Cyburbian
I guess it depends on what you plan to do in the interim before you get your planning master's. If not much, then get the geo master's if it's relatively straightforward and cheap. But if you can work/intern for a year in something related to geography or at a non-profit or something for a year, that's probably worth more for your planning master's than the master's in geography.

IK02

Thanks for the reply! This is what I've been feeling as well, especially going back and trying to find similar experiences through the forums. My school has a great and active Urban Studies Institute in a downtown area, so I'm hopeful that there may be internship opportunities with the city planning office. I just hope that the local governments will be accepting interns since I know for a fact our DOT has stopped the intern program temporarily due to covid.