• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Georgia Tech vs. UPenn

yet another question about schools...

I'm trying to decide between Georgia Tech and UPenn city planning programs. I'm interested in working in the private sector, possibly in an entrepreneurial real estate/ urban design format. I've got a background in architecture, which should help me with the design. Both programs are pretty good, and seem to have similar focuses on interdisciplinary study. Tech is MUCH cheaper than Penn, though Penn has a better reputation, I think. What do people think about Georgia Tech's reputation nationally? I know here in the south Tech is great, but what about the Northeast and West Coast? any help would be appreciated...

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
GA Tech has a fine reputation across the country. I live in the northeast and know of a few engineers who got their degrees there. I'm going to planning school, too, but to University of Wisconsin-Madison. One of the professors I met out there a few weeks ago got his PhD at GA Tech and liked it there. If it's that much cheaper, that's where I would go.

BKM

Cyburbian
It depends what you want. If you want a practical education in planning, go with the less prestigious "Tech." If you want professors who are interested in "Regression Analysis of Informal Land Markets in Nigerian cities," then the prestigious, international reputation of Penn is where you should go. So, Planning Magazine or the more esoteric articles in JAPA-that's the question.

H

Cyburbian
If you go to TECH you can be a HELUVA, HELUVA, HELUVA, HELUVA, HELUVA…..planner.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
I would agree with the earlier post about where your interests lie and what sort of atmosphere you are interested in. in my dept. we have a professor from Tech and she's pretty progressive. my experience with UPENN has been that a lot of the research and mood of the programs is geared towards pratical planning methods. thats my take on it.

Dharmster

Cyburbian
I fyou are planning on financing your education then go to Georgia Tech. If you are independently wealthy or your parents are paying go to Penn.