• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Getting into & out of Tulsa

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What do these cities have in common?

Buffalo, New York.

Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Both of these cities share something that no other medium to large metropolitan area in the United States share. What is it?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nope. Try again!

A clue ... these two cities are the only major metros in the United States to have this certain trait about them.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nope. It has something to do with the built environment of those cities.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think I know what it is, but I cheated and used Google...can I still play?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jtfortin said:
I think I know what it is, but I cheated and used Google...can I still play?
I'd say that you can still play ... I want to hear the groans from the masses!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Planderella said:
Can you tell from the pictures?
Nope. The only way you can tell is by driving there.

Nemesis

After looking, perhaps the same Yamasaki and Assoc. Designed building? I don/t know the name of the Ok. builidng but it is the M&T building in Buffalo

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nope. Nope. Nope.

Okay, a big hint. Look at the location of the two cities in any road atlas.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
My guess - they are the only two major metropolitan areas whose CBDs are on the western edge of the city.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Both Suck?

Tulsa is know for being huge and having large tracts of empty land within the city limits. Is Buffalo the same way?

Both were refinery towns, No?

Both have had very poor relationships with their Black populations. Tulsa had a major race battle once.

Both have zero chance of winning another superbowl in our life times?

Both were destroyed by asteriods in a parallel time dimension?

We give - tell us Dan!

Nemesis

1.Buffalo never had Buffalo roam anywhere near it and Tulsa never had Tulsa?
2.Both have indian reservations for cheap booze, gas and smokes
3.Sales tax is crazy in both cities
4. There is a Ted's hotdog located near the bridge over the water?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Uhhhh... similar size and intensity (gross floor area) in their CBD? I give up...

El Feo

Cyburbian
Dan,

Please, a little hint! It's a stretch - is there a Sullivan-Wright connection?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Pay to drive?

Joe Iliff said:
Is it that they are both located on toll roads?
I think that's about as close as we're gonna' get. Welcome to Buffalo.

Give Mr. Iliff a ... oh, I don't know. Have some cold ones ...

The Buffalo and Tulsa metropolitan areas are the only two medium to large metro areas in the United States that are impossible to get to on a limited access highway without paying a toll of some sort.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
I don't know that I entirely agree with Dan's assessment, but he is correct that the biggest arteries into these cities are toll roads with no free alternative of equal size.

I thought the major highways leading to Newark were also all toll roads.

I thought you could get from Hamilton to Buffalo though without paying a toll. Yes?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nemesis said:
Dan, what about taking the 33(Kensington) LImited access no toll?
Doesn't work. The 33 (and NY 400, I-990, and limited access portions of US 219) don't extend beyond the Buffalo metropolitan area into another metropolitan area. You can't get to the 33 from outside the Buffalo metro area on a limited access highway unless you hit a toll road first.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
No, I think it means you have to pay to leave. That's why people still live there, they can't pay to get out.

Like that old song about the guy who gets stuck on the MTA in Boston because he can't pay the fare to get off.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Re: I win

bturk said:
Both are missing MarryTheresa billboards.
I agree with bturk...he wins in my opinion. Here's a prize from me....

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Only since the bastards made U.S. 412 from Fayetteville to Tulsa part toll!

Like people want to drive in Oklahoma anyway!

And here's my newest beer:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Moose Drool is one of the finest beers I have ever tasted. It makes my top three (excluding those only available in a brewpub):

1. Uff-da Bock (New Glarus Brewery, New Glarus, WI)
2. Alaskan Amber (Alaskan Brewery, Juneau, AK)
3. Moose Drool (Big Sky Brewing Co., Missoula, MT)

Unfortunately, niether Moose Drool nor Alaskan Amber is found within 1000 miles of Wisconsin, and I only have a few bottles remaining....

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Michael Stumpf said:
Moose Drool is one of the finest beers I have ever tasted. It makes my top three (excluding those only available in a brewpub):

Unfortunately, niether Moose Drool nor Alaskan Amber is found within 1000 miles of Wisconsin, and I only have a few bottles remaining....
You might be able to talk a certain Oregon situated fellow into sending you some... Big Sky has a Portland brewery. I think they sell Alaskan stuff around here, too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Alaskan can be ordered by the case over a web site. I will need to see if the same is true for Moose Drool.

danplans

What about taking US-169 from Tulsa to Kansas City? It is not the finest of roads, but it is certainly a major connection between metropolitan areas, and there is no toll.

Don't spell Tulsa backwards or it gets as dirty as the Arkansas River running through it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
danplans said:
What about taking US-169 from Tulsa to Kansas City?
Doesn't work. North of Collinsville, US 169 is no longer a limited access highway.

Sorry ...

masafer

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:

Ah, New Glarus Uff-da. One of my absolute favorites. I used to get it at my grocery store in Chicago, but it's nowhere to be found in Jersey. All my favorite beers from college don't exist out here. New Glarus, Leinenkugel's, Goose Island. Drool... Right now, I'd even settle for some Old Style. You go looking for one ot those here and people just look at you funny. On the plus side, Yuengling is cheap and plentiful.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm starting to think that the Cyburbia Bash at next year's APA conference should be a barbecue. El Guapo can bring something he has killed to roast over the coals, and the rest of us can bring along cases of our favorite beers.