• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Getting Into Planning 101

J Church

bear w/ me, folks. this is going to be vague, rambling, naive and annoying. but what i need is specific, practical advice.

i wanna be a planner when i grow up. don't laugh ;) i have degrees in journalism and sociology from a large public university. i worked as a reporter and editor for several years before deciding i'd rather be a planner. i have no experience whatsoever in the field.

i live in san francisco. last fall i spoke w/ a doctoral candidate at berkeley who said it was probably *the* best program for design. he also helpfully outlined various things i'd need for a competitive application in an email that i've since lost (system crash). he, too, has apparently disappeared. and i can't remember most of his message (read this book, meet that person, get involved somehow).

ok, to the point: i'm most interested in design and transportation planning, but also in land-use. as i said, i know berkeley is a good school for design; i know ucla is good for public policy; other schools, i don't know much about. the bay area is also painfully expensive and i'm still trying to figure out how i could possibly live here and go to school full-time; i certainly wouldn't mind going somewhere cheaper, although as a california resident i wouldn't pay much tuition at cal.

i know i need to get *some* sort of experience before applying but i have no idea how to go about that.

i guess i'd really like to hear from someone who was in a similar situation - coming to planning late from an unrelated field - although i'm open to any and all (good) advice.

thanks for indulging me in any case.

J Church

oh, i should add that career-wise, i don't really know yet if i want to work in government, for a nonprofit, developer, whatever. i'm hoping to figure that out in school. i do know that i need to work in or near a major city, preferably coastal. and i want my options open to me, so i'm willing to pay/work harder for a better school.