Getting Into Planning 101

J Church

bear w/ me, folks. this is going to be vague, rambling, naive and annoying. but what i need is specific, practical advice.

i wanna be a planner when i grow up. don't laugh ;) i have degrees in journalism and sociology from a large public university. i worked as a reporter and editor for several years before deciding i'd rather be a planner. i have no experience whatsoever in the field.

i live in san francisco. last fall i spoke w/ a doctoral candidate at berkeley who said it was probably *the* best program for design. he also helpfully outlined various things i'd need for a competitive application in an email that i've since lost (system crash). he, too, has apparently disappeared. and i can't remember most of his message (read this book, meet that person, get involved somehow).

ok, to the point: i'm most interested in design and transportation planning, but also in land-use. as i said, i know berkeley is a good school for design; i know ucla is good for public policy; other schools, i don't know much about. the bay area is also painfully expensive and i'm still trying to figure out how i could possibly live here and go to school full-time; i certainly wouldn't mind going somewhere cheaper, although as a california resident i wouldn't pay much tuition at cal.

i know i need to get *some* sort of experience before applying but i have no idea how to go about that.

i guess i'd really like to hear from someone who was in a similar situation - coming to planning late from an unrelated field - although i'm open to any and all (good) advice.

thanks for indulging me in any case.

J Church

oh, i should add that career-wise, i don't really know yet if i want to work in government, for a nonprofit, developer, whatever. i'm hoping to figure that out in school. i do know that i need to work in or near a major city, preferably coastal. and i want my options open to me, so i'm willing to pay/work harder for a better school.