• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Getting wisdom teeth pulled out roxorz

simulcra

Just for some mindless rambling...

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out yesterday, and think it's actually been one of the better things in my life.

partially because my doc gave me the recommendation of sticking to liquids and a light diet, so i ended up consuming "lighter" and "healthier" foods... ie, tomato soup instead of grilled beef, taboli instead of pizza.

and you know, this "healthy" and "nutritious" stuff is actually pretty darn good (as oppossed to making salt and vinegar pringles chips a staple of my diet). this may just be something i'm gonna stick to...

The Irish One

hey that's great. Eating healthy along with consistent exercise is what it's all about. It will change your life and the way people see you.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
yeah, I think your doc is unto something..keep up the good work!!!! I think eating healthier is an initiative we all can follow.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Solipsa said:
I had my wisdom teeth pulled out yesterday, and think it's actually been one of the better things in my life.

... this may just be something i'm gonna stick to...
Are you sure that's not just the codine talking? ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Downtown said:
mmmm.... codeine! those lucky canadians get it over the counter!!!
Got some for my bum back right now. Bummer is they are giant horse pills and I can only take them at night, otherwise I'm a vegie.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
mmmm.... codeine! those lucky canadians get it over the counter!!!
Are you serious? Canada may not be that bad after all.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Congratulations on the healthy diet. Now go celebrate with a few beers and fried cheese curds.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
wisdom teeth out

I had all four of mine taken out this past May. It was done in the morning and the rest of the day consisted of writhing in agony on the couch watching my "Black Adder" DVDs, and having cold pack covering my face. I couldn't take my codine, so I had nothing to dull the pain for a couple of days.

But the "sleepy" drugs for the surgery have an interesting affect. After the surgery you come in and out of consciousness and it's similar to being very drunk. On the bus ride home, my wife told me I was "on my soap box" exclaiming the virtues of multi-modal transportation in Chicago, and the city's great urban form. Since these drugs have the effect of bringing my true feelings to the surface and sweeping away the burden of decorum and ettiqute (sp?). I now see that I am a devoted urbanists.

biscuit

Cyburbian
A fun new direction for the thread... Things you did while on pain killers or coming out of sedation. Good family fun!

I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 17 and ,according to those around me at the time, coming out of sedation IS like being very, very drunk. A few of the things I was told I did...

*I had touched my mouth and as the nurse was wiping the blood off my hands I told her, "Not to worry because all of my phalanges were there...they didn't fall off after all."

*Told my mom that we should, "Take some of this stuff home for the animals." I guess refering to the gas.

*Hit on and then basically propositioned the nurse as she helped walk me to the car. I think she was in her mid 30's or something like that

That's just the stuff they told me. Only God knows what else I might have said.

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D
Are you serious? Canada may not be that bad after all.
Tylenol 2's baby.
Also the active ingredient in nyquil, alcohol and codeine natures way to make a cold bearable.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i was having surgery a few years ago and was only gonna have something to relax me and an epidural.

I recall the epi, no big deal (just DONT look at the needle) then the drugs in my arm started working-good stuff!

i recall it was cold in the OR and as they are drapeing me i asked rather loudly who invited jack frost to this little party?

round of laughter from the staff

then when they have my arms out on those things and all set to work someone asked how i felt if i was comfortable and i raised my head and very loudly said "i feel like F**king Christ on the Cross spread like this"

you could have heard a pin drop then i busted out laughing and the doc says to the others that i needed MORE dope

my doc to this day teases me about it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The anesthesia knocks me out quickly and makes me sick (nausea and headache) when I come out. When I had my wisdom teeth impacted I did not let them put me under. It was... interesting. They came out the day of a flood, and while I made it through two feet of water to get to the clinic (cursing the idiots who would get in and thenstop their cars), I ended up getting water under the distributor cap so that I could not get the car started. By the time it did, the pain killers were wearing off.

biscuit

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
then when they have my arms out on those things and all set to work someone asked how i felt if i was comfortable and i raised my head and very loudly said "i feel like F**king Christ on the Cross spread like this"
ROTFLMAO!
Thanks to you I'm now cleaning sprayed coffee off my monitor.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Well I have been told that I am a rung up on the evolutionary ladder in that I do not have wisdom teeth, never have never will. And neither does my daughter.

As far as things under sedation, I remember them putting me out once and as I went under the Dr told me he loved me and I smiled and went to sleep peacefully.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Amazing thread timing. I get a bad tooth yanked out at 1:00PM today

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Here is my wisdom teeth pulling story. Just graduated high school and the time came to pull the teeth. Two were impacted and had to be broken. I decided not to go all the way under for the procedure, I only had the gas and whatever painkillers were used (now I know why people use drugs). So I was conscious during the whole procedure. I did cringe a bit when I heard the breaking sound, similar to the snapping of a branch where you hear the wood fibers breaking and then the final snap. While this was going on, the Dr.'s asst, who was very buxom and very cute, was hanging over me the whole time. Good thing I was not knocked out. My mom decides to make steak for dinner that night which I thought was cruel joke. Day two, a coworker of mine could not go to The Who concert and I bought her tickets. The show was 200 miles away. My friend drove the way down but was too tired to drive back, one can of jolt cola later and I was on the road. My mom about killed me when I told her I drove back while on T3.

simulcra

i was generally very quiet under my sedation (i think).

the only thing i can distinctly recall is the fact that i was immensely fascinated with a little oxygen thing they put on my nose, i suppose so i don't try and breathe through my mouth or something. at every possible moment (when their hands weren't around my mouth), i kept playing with it. it seemed like the most damned awesome thing ever.

Michele Zone

BANNED
I sort of wish everyone would drop the whole wisdom teeth thread. I have had all 4 wisdom teeth and 5 molars out. I am trying desperately to keep from going on at great length about my trials and tribulations re teeth.

I am also trying desperately to refrain from telling stories about giving birth and things I don't remember saying then, out of deference to the women of cyburbia who are expectant moms. I, personally, find it to be incredibly rude and gruesome that total strangers will regale a pregnant woman with their horror stories of bringing life into the world -- like I needed to hear that when I was 21 and pregnant with my first child. So, gosh, folks: lead me not into temptation!;)

I would, of course, tell my gruesome tales as though they were comedic and I actually do find some of it funny. But I grew up in a household where dad told humorous war stories about Vietnam, so I am pretty warped. Other folks might not find all that pain and such to be so lighthearted and amusing.:)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I am usually cool under anesthesia, however on a more minor note... Years ago, while getting a tooth pulled, I was on laughing gas, listening to music and thoroughly enjoying it all. When the dentist told me he was done, he and I got into a tug of war over the gas hose, I REALLY didn't want to give it up!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I have a dental apointment in a week and im gonna ask them to pull one that is healthy but out of place. I have all my wisdom teeth with no problems but i have a big mouth ;-)

i need to check into the drug options....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Root canal and crown is no joy either
had one done on front tooth - talk about not eating!

worse is that scene from Marathon Man...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I survived the tooth pulling and I am coming down off of the novocaine. Nothing weird to report. I need some of that Canadian T3

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I have no wisdom teeth... I guess it's just mother nature saying: Hey you don't need them, and if I put them, they pull them out!

Sadly mother nature also forgot a few more teeth... :( Well at least I have no cavities in my few teeth.. and I even have teeth that should have fallen off and gotten replaced with the definitive ones...

yeah.. I'm a freak... ;)

Queen B

Cyburbian
SkeLeton,
How many other teeth are you missing? I am missing a 12 year molar that never came in and another one that never developed under a baby tooth and none of my wisdom teeth.
It is kind of odd

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Root canal and crown is no joy either
had one done on front tooth - talk about not eating!

worse is that scene from Marathon Man...
Been there. The only thing worse was the five days I spent in Atlanta with a toothache. Then again, maybe it dulled the pain of being trapped in that city.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
SkeLeton,
How many other teeth are you missing?
In total: 10
4 wisdom teeth
4 lower molars
2 upper precanines

Lovely... I feel like a kid buying some Lego's and when trying to build the set, find out that there are missing pieces :(

Rem

Cyburbian
My wife had her wisdom teeth out about three weeks after the wedding. I've always thought my father-in-law planned it this way so he could avoid the expense.

Another funny thing was I was dissuaded by my mother-in-law from sitting with her when she came out of the anaesthetic - "you go to work mate, there's nothing you can do here". I've harboured this suspicion that she had a concern about what my wife may say. Hmmmm?

JNL

Cyburbian
biscuit said:

*I had touched my mouth and as the nurse was wiping the blood off my hands I told her, "Not to worry because all of my phalanges were there...they didn't fall off after all."
LOL! My co-workers are giving me funny looks, wondering what I'm laughing at.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken our under general. I remember when I woke up it felt like the worst hangover ever. Don't recall saying anything at all for a few hours.

I've had 8 teeth extracted in total - another 4 when I was 12 because of overcrowding.

biscuit

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I've had 8 teeth extracted in total - another 4 when I was 12 because of overcrowding.
Same here. I had two uppers and two lowers removed for overcrowding when I was about 10.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Poor SkeLeton,

I feel for you, One of the problems with missing molars is that the opposite one continues to grow. I have to have them grind mine off once in a while to keep from biting the gum.
But the good thing about one of the others I am missing, when I was about 23 I lost that last baby tooth and the dentist was really excited that I had really good insurance so he put in a beautiful gold bridge. It flashes nicely when I laugh.

But from the sounds of things I think we have it better. We haven't had to go through that teeth pulling ordeal or expense.

Rem

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
I have to have them grind mine off once in a while to keep from biting the gum.
Teeth grinding? No way.

I have this picture in my head of a guy, with a blacksmith's apron on, filing down a toothy peg or two (you know like a horse). That's got to be worse than fingernails down a blackboard (=chalkboard).

Jeff

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
dentist was really excited that I had really good insurance so he put in a beautiful gold bridge. It flashes nicely when I laugh.

Now that's BLING !!! BLING !!! 420 Style !!

donk

Cyburbian
REM requested
Dan - we need a dictionary.
repo posted a dictionary (urbandictionary.com), not work friendly in another thread, it should set you straight on the bling bling.

I stil have all of my teeth, the dentist keeps threatening to send me to the surgeon to have my wisdom teeth pulled, but then I remember to floss and stop eating so much sugar.

I actually like going to the dentist, it does not hurt that she is attractive and the assistant she uses with me is hot.