• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Ginger -- Revolutionary?

Tom Collins

Ok -- so now we've seen what Ginger is:
http://www.planetizen.com/news/item.php?id=4826

"Kamen's vehicle is a complex bundle of hardware and software that mimics the human body's ability to maintain its balance. Not only does it have no brakes, it also has no engine, no throttle, no gearshift and no steering wheel. And it can carry the average rider for a full day, nonstop, on only five cents' worth of electricity."

So I can see that maybe I'll drive my Segway to work instead of my car -- if I live within 10 miles of work. But who does? Would this be more like extending the 10-minute walk rule to more like 3 miles?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This is Ginger?

Interesting, but not practical in a Wisconsin winter (umm, thats like 8 months of the year!).

Sounds like it could make for a good play on the old Gilligans Island game "Ginger or Maryanne" -- Would you prefer Ginger or Ginger?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm not impressed. Fisrt there is te issue of where to drive it. On the road? There's the danger of being hit by a car - somewhat more than a bike, I would guess. Sidewalks? Better not be another scooter or pedestrians in the way.

I live 1 1/2 miles from the office and can't see switching from the car/truck. It would take twice as long to get to work. Then there is the weather. Wisconsin, though the temperature will hit 55 today, can get cold and once the snow is on the ground, it stays there until we are blessed with the warm weather that turns it all to slush. We also have these things the glaciers left behind, called hills. I hope the thing has a lot of power.

Does this thing have a niche? Probably on college campuses and maybe for a few kinds of users, such as parking meter readers. Will it replace the automobile? No. Will it change the way we design cities? No.

Chris Steins

But Maybe...

So we were talking about this at work today. Maybe you'd have a sidewalk, a Ginger-walk, and the street. It'd be another form of semi-pedstrian travel -- you don't have to park your car.

As for the snow... I'm sure they'll make a 4WD version of Ginger... It'd be SUVinger ;> (And use $0.10 work of electricity instead of $0.05).

Maybe you'd fold up your Ginger (like an umbrella or one of those skateboard-like contraptions with handlebars kids ride today) into your car, drive to your destination, and then be willing to park well outside of your normal range because you can scooter in.

I think it's a pretty cool concept, actually. I dunno about revolutionary -- but certainly evolutionary.

Chris

el Guapo

Capitalist
World's Fair Promotors - Liars all!

For how many decades have the World's Fair promoters and exhibitors been promising me a flying car? You remember all of those black and white films of future cities with tubes, monorails high in the sky and flying cars every where? The media through the Jetsons, Blade Runner, GM, Back to the Future 1-3, and so many others are all are keeping the dream alive. Educated and credentialed Futurists from GM and Amazing Stories promised me this technology. Heck we should be on second and third generation flying cars by now. Screw this skateboard - I want my FYLING CAR! Another thing, where is my Phaser? I’m an American and I want it yesterday. Does FedEx have Yesterday Delivery yet, and why not?

;-)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just think of all the lobbyists and special interest groups this is going to spawn. Groups that are pro-Ginger errr Segway HT for legislation and unfunded mandates. Groups oppossed to Segway HT. DOT GRANTS for Segway projects. Blah Blah Blah.

And a side note to El Guapo - If you want to be a charter member of the National Phaser Association (NPA) , gimme a ring. I've already tried to book Chalrton Heston for the First Annual Dinner Banquet and Trade Show. (No 3 day wait for those babies!).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I almost forgot -- check this out!

http://www.satirewire.com/news/0112/sht.shtml

Budgie

Cyburbian
Nay Sayers

As with all things new, the Segway HT has some doubting it's potential. I'm sure most of us have seen pictures of a Model T stuck in the mud while a horse and buggy trot by.

We know the facts (17 mph max, 300 pounds of cargo, 65-80 lbs, 5 cents a day, 17 miles, battery powered, self balancing). We should compared this with the alternative. 40,000 people a year die every year in fatal car crashes. We have thrown unbelievable amounts of money behind roads. Police forces spend tremendous amounts of time on traffic related issues. Insurance is a rip off.

Here's what I'm hearing followed by my response:

What about the weather? COVERED RETRACTABLE TRAVEL WAYS (Look at the amount of money we spend on interchanges and overpasses).

What if you hit a pot hole? Once a pothole is fixed, will Segway travel create potholes? Not likely.

What about safety? At 17 mph on a self balancing machine?

What if you run out of power? Where the hell are you going? I imagine gas stations are not as available as plug ins.

You can't go very far! That's what trains are for.

I guess we'll have to sit handcuffed to the steering wheel while we watch less brainwashed (auto ads) and less subsidized (Federal Highway Dollars) societies forge ahead with this better alternative.

Would you drive a Model T to work today? No!!! Well, maybe you'll ride a Segway to work in the future. I dare you to say "NO"!!!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Hooo Rah!

James,
I love my SUV, but I'd commute with a SHT if the weather was nice. I like having options. However, I'm not gonna take it home in a hail storm or sleet no matter how much granola I've had that morning. I'll bet they have cabs and wipers and defrost by the second model year. By the third model year they will have an in dash CD Player.

How do you get the kids to soccer though?

Does Amtrack get to Salina? Only the people stacked like sardines have trains as I see it. Not you folks in the outback.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Give it time.

If the Segway HT is truly like walking (have you been on one yet? Me neither), I have confidence that my children will follow me to practice. Just like walking with the offspring through the mall.

Trains. Everytime someone takes local trips on a Segway the need for an expansive inventory of traditional parking spaces decreases. What do we do with all this useless parking space, BUILD. When you build on parking lots you create that dirty word "density". With density comes the market for trains.

Granted long trips will be dominated by cars for years to come. But in case you haven't noticed. Things change. There will be debate for along time on this topic. And sides will be drawn between those who are looking for better ways and those who are comfortable. Regardless, I bet the first local Segway dealer will be comfortable in a short period of time.

I guess I'm spoiled. Here in Salina all our daily needs can be met within a mile of our houses and most people live within 2 miles of work.

Since when did saving money and public safety become granola issues?

The dash CD is called a portable CD player. I've had one for years. Defrost? The Segway will sit in your attached garage, even after you've converted it to that dream home entertainment room you've always wanted.

Let's see what happens? Hum !?!?! computers, home video, compact disc, cellular phones (don't you love those towers, just like power poles 100 years ago). I just hope it's not a microwave oven.

I'll be buying stock in rental car companies in about 5 years.

Last edited: