• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Girls Help

Jeff

Cyburbian
I've recently had the misfortune of breaking my electric razor. Its going to be a couple o' weeks before I can get around to getting another one.

Therefore, I've had to resort to using a regular razor for shaving my legs. It sucks. What do you use shaving cream or soap? And I'm always missing spots. How do you ensure that they are oh so silky smooth?

What about the back of the knees. This part sucks too.

Any help in this urgent matter is appreciated.

And before you say it, I'm not taking a bath and doing it in there, and no Nair ruins my soft skin.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I prefer shampoo most of the time, it lathers but is not too foamy. I can't explain how to actually shave, as after 18 or 19 years of doing it, it just happens by rote now.

tsc

Cyburbian
try using conditioner if you don't use shaving cream.... who has time for a bath to shave????

Well, you could always depilate via a method other than Nair. These methods are universally painful (no matter what the commercials say) and, when the hair does come back in 4 to 6 weeks, you will have a slew of in-grown hairs. On the upside, over the long run, some of it never grows back and the remaining hair does become less course, especially if you do it repeatedly.

I wouldn't dream of shaving my legs in the bathtub. What a mess! No, I do the Macho thing and shave in the shower. The only problem is that most men are not limber enough to put one foot on the wall at about shoulder height and lean over to see and fairly easily reach all parts of the leg from about mid-thigh down.

Yes, I use shaving cream -- the kind with Aloe in it, since I am prone to dry skin. And, when I lived in the Mojave Desert and dressed like a 'beach bum' (shorts, dresses, or bathing suit) 10 months out of the year, I skipped shaving my legs one day per week to give them a break -- kind of the same reason that a lot of men seem to skip shaving on their day(s) off from work.

But you probably are just jerking my chain and don't actually shave your legs. In case everyone thinks I am simply 'stupid', nah, I don't mind going along with a joke -- as long as it is good, clean fun.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
MZ... he does shave his legs... afterall he is a fan of bicycle racing and such, and the only type of men that shave their legs are metrosexuals, bike fans and fags of course. :p

Photographic evidence:

:-D

Habanero

Cyburbian
Get a Venus Razor and baby oil enriched shave gel. No joke, even when shaving so fast I could've taken my leg off, I've never had a nick!

If you're so concerned why not also use a shave minimizing lotion? It actually makes your hair thin and some of it stops growing. It's good stuff.

JNL

Cyburbian
Yep women's shave gel does the trick.

I recommend short, careful strokes around the ankles and knees (to avoid nicks).

If you shave in the shower under the water stream, you don't need shave gel, I only use it for my knees.

Wow you've made me realise there is actually a bit of technique to something I don't usually think about!

As for making sure you haven't missed any spots, well, you run your hands over your legs to check, before getting out of the shower.

Ok that's enough from me now :-$

SkeLeton said:
MZ... he does shave his legs... afterall he is a fan of bicycle racing and such, and the only type of men that shave their legs are metrosexuals, bike fans and fags of course. :p
:-D
lol. Thanks, Skel. I wasn't sure how to take the question. But, your list is not complete: you forgot "men who dress in drag for a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show". I never attended such a cult event, but I once knew a heterosexual man who did attend in drag when he was in college.

In that case, since this is a truly serious question, yes, get a girly razor, designed just for the legs -- and buy the blades with the special cushions and crap. It makes a difference. I do not actually buy shaving *cream*, I buy the gel that foams up with friction. And, generally speaking, one razor blade is good for only one shave -- especially if it has been a while.

For knees, bend them to do the front -- it pulls the skin taught and smoothes out any sharp angles around the kneecap, thus reducing cuts and reducing missed hairs. Ankles are much tougher to shave than knees -- I used to cut my ankles regularly (might have something to do with being tall/ long-legged and nearsighted -- short friends assure me they don't have such issues).

To make sure I don't miss a spot, after I get out of the shower, I put on my glasses and go to my well-lit vanity and check. You can still safely do touch-ups while the skin is still moist, if what you have overlooked is a fairly small area, without getting out the shaving gel, jumping back in the shower, etc.

And, note the direction the hair grows and carefully shave 'against the grain'. Even on the legs, hair does not all grow in one direction. Paying attention to this detail allows the razor to better grab the hair and actually cut it, rather than gliding across the top of it. It makes for fewer missed spots, it is quicker, and your shave is closer -- for that smooth as silk feel that wins the bike race.

moose

When I do shave, I use soap or shower gel (whichever I am using at the moment, I'm not spending extra for a different size bubble), and I just don't shave the backs of my knees.

Of course, with the rainy season officially upon us in the Pacific NW, my legs won't see daylight until May or so, so you may not want to listen to me.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Shower gel works great too. The Venus razor is nice and does do a close shave. I think it is almost the same razor head as the Mach 3. Do use a lotion afterwards since you are shaving with a razor rather than the electric because you may get razorburn.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I always use whatever conditioner that I put in my hair. I learned a long time ago that there was no need for extra stuff in the shower.
As for the ankles, I can't tell you how many women have that scar on that outside bone, youch.
As for missing, shave, run your hand over the area, you will figure out what you have missed.
This experience will give you a greater appreciation of why we sometimes just don't want to go through the hassle of doing it!
Be careful.

Try that new Intuition razor that has the soap bar attached to the razor. You may not get the closest shave, but it works when you're in a rush.

Love the Venus! and i use either shave gel or shower gel. and the hair on my calves grows in kind of sideways, so i usually go over that area in two directions. Knee caps are more problematic for me than the back of the knees ( the latter of which I haven't shaved in about 3 months since the belly prevents any kind of maneuvering in that direction). but i agree with the short strokes are best comment.

also - afterwards, moisturize while you're legs are still damp - it will lock in the moisture and make the skin smooth and silky. :)

Downtown said:
also - afterwards, moisturize while you're legs are still damp - it will lock in the moisture and make the skin smooth and silky. :)
I am glad that works for you but it may not work for everyone. As I understand it, moisturizers wick moisture from the most moist surface to the least moist. So, if you live in a damp environment, it can draw moisture from the air and keep your skin moist. But if you live in a dry environment, it can actually dehydrate your skin. For very dry environments, oil is better for your skin.

I typically don't use either, but I did use oil sometimes in winter in Kansas. I suppose that is why I prefer shave gel with aloe in it: my skin does not dry out when I use it and I really loathe moisturizers. So, that works for me. (Not to be argumentative, just giving a different perspective.)

On another topic: I have known a few women who do not shave the backs of their knees. As a general rule, they are blonde and the hair on their legs is very fine. You would probably never notice that they skipped the backs of their knees. I never had that luxury because I have very pale skin and dark hair. Think "Irish," the only genetic group where you can have blue eyes and black hair -- only my eyes are "hazel" (a mixture of gold and brown and green and sometimes called "cat's eyes") and my hair is dark brown, but I got the pale skin/ dark hair combo nonetheless.

In fact, I have "porcelain fine skin" with small pores and the hair on my lower legs used to be, oh, genetically related to brillo pads -- a very bad combination. I spent years waxing my legs (or otherwise depilating them) before shaving really worked well for me. It was quite the nightmare, for a long time. These days, it is no big deal. But I have every sympathy for Mike D. Shaving my legs did not come at all easily for me.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I still missed spots this morning. WTF?

When can I get my Norelco back?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Too bad you're not like a classmate I had in school.. he was a 6ft 5" tall guy, and barely had any leg hair :p, on the other hand, I'm just some normal 5ft 11" guy with plenty of leg hair, and I doubt I'll ever shave it...that's just too... metrosexual... :p