• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Go ahead, pick your nose

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
In my second planning job, the director did this during planning commission and city council meetings. :-# And a healthy man he is!!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It's gotta be a joke article. That's hilarious.

I like this:
"And eating the dry remains of what you pull out is a great way of strengthening the body's immune system.
What great justification if you're a smart(aleck) kid.

It's like when I learned that raw vegetables are better for you than cooked ones. I hate cooked vegetables

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Please tell me this is one of those urban myths. Please. Tell me it is not true :-c

You do see people with their fingers at their noses and wonder if they have any idea how bad it looks...

jestes

Cyburbian
This just proves the old adage that "you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friends"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
So which is more important
alleged health benefit vs. lack of decorum = social embarassment.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I know we have a lot of health-nuts in this crowd, so please don't be offended if I don't offer to shake anyones hand at the next laefest.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
biscuit , now i have to get up off the floor. Thanks for the laugh, you are on a roll.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hum... sadly... it seems quite logical, although the booger-eating part sure is quite dumb, since by the time anything you eat gets to your intestines, it's far well degraded, including bacteria. But you do get a more cleaner nose if you pick it... of course not in public (please!), nor in your car while waiting for the traffic light to change :p

BTW, biscuit, good one! :-D

el Guapo

Capitalist
This is just what the democrats want you to believe! First we mainstream bugger pickers, then its dingleberries. When does it stop? We'll be watching supermodels pick their noses on Oprah by this time next year! G&^*& D$@#$ democrats. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
el Guapo said:
G&^*& D$@#$ democrats. ;)
If the Southern Baptists believe Jesus dug for nasal gold in John 6 : 51-56, I bet the 'Pubbies would be asking for a constitutional amendment requiring mandatory daily picking and eating sessions for schoolchildren. The Reagan administration would probably have declared boogers as "vegetables" for school lunch requirements.

:p

In New Zealand, they'd probably ban nasal spray users from eating boogers. Genetically modified food, you know ...

:p again

Een France, zee bouger of, how you say, ze horse, eez considered a delicacy. Closed-minded fat cowboy Americain, how you say, warmonger, cannot appreciate zees. Go to you McDonald, you Kentucky Chicken Fry, you Star Buck ... we French have zee real culture, no?

Zenith

Cyburbian
Seriously, I'm wondering how may people i.e. forumers have a good 'dig' in private like stting on the toilet or just watching the 'idiot box'.

There's an Australian kid's game show on T.V. called "Pick Your Face" where one of the first tasks the 3 contestants have to pull out clues pertaining to famous people from big mock 'shnoozes' on the back wall in a race to get as many clues out of them:

__
__

Doitnow

Cyburbian
My Dad who's a nutritionist and microbiologist claims that its better to keep you nose clean by picking it. Blowing the nose may clean the whole passage.
Of course he doesn't do it in public and never eats the stuff.
But he qotes scientific research on the benefits of drinking human, cow and horse urine.( we dont do this in the family mind you all ;-) )

I pick the nose only when the stuff really bothers me and only in private.

I have another bad Habit though.
I am a nail biter.
My dad is one too. I think my grand dad did that too. There may be something genetic tothis. :p

How many of you are nail biters. Does it really mean that you( me included) are nervous people. :-\ ??

mgk920

Cyburbian
(***begin stupid kids' joke alert!!***)

Q) What does one do when his/her nose goes on strike?

A) Go picket

:p

(***end stupid kids' joke alert!!***)

Mike

Zenith

Cyburbian
mgk920 said:
Q) What does one do when his/her nose goes on strike?

A) Go picket

Mike
Whacka, whacka, whacka - boom tish! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Me Bad
I thought of Monty Python's Holy Grail

WITCH: And this isn't my nose. It's a false one.
BEDEVERE: Well?
VILLAGER #1: Well, we did do the nose.
BEDEVERE: The nose?

Jen

Cyburbian
What Fools who think if you pick it out then you must eat it. :-c If you leave it in it will slide back down the gullet or someplace and there you have it; it flushes itself mostly. crusts and large quantities should be excavated with a tissue but throw it away!

Oh and where does it mention the creepie crawlies that hitchhike off the finger into the nice moist nasal passages?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNA said:
Me Bad
I thought of Monty Python's Holy Grail

WITCH: And this isn't my nose. It's a false one.
BEDEVERE: Well?
VILLAGER #1: Well, we did do the nose.
BEDEVERE: The nose?
Villager #2: And the hat. But she's a witch!
Villagers: Burn her! Burn her!

I have been known to steal a quick pick in private - sometimes it's the only way to free it up.

BKM

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
But he qotes scientific research on the benefits of drinking human, cow and horse urine.( we dont do this in the family mind you all ;-) )
I was wandering around the industrial wastelands of San Francisco (I live dangerously) and I came across a parked van-homeless encampment on one of the side streets covered in signs urging you to cure AIDS through drinking your own urine. Eeew!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Okay, this brings back bad memories from one of my planning classes in college. There was a guy we unaffectionately called "booger man" for reasons that will soon be obvious. He had a habit of chewing gum, placing it on the end of his pencil, and then jamming it up is nose and returning said gum to his mouth. Other body cavities were not immune; the ears were used as well. I don't want to know if other areas were probbed. This was all done in class most every day. Nasty.