• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

God Hates the French too

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The heat wave is proof of it. Over 10,000 dead, and climbing.

Too back he's taking it out on the old and weak though. Shoulda been a more refined effort.

el Guapo

Capitalist
These people are dying at a temperature 12 degrees less than where I am right now? What gives?

BKM

Cyburbian
*No air conditioning.

*Tiny, stuffy 19th century apartments.

*No deodorant or showers (how many of the ten thousand are from odor pollution alone???)

On the other hand, didn't hundreds of people die a couple of years ago in Chicago alone when there was a brief heat wave?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
BKM said:
*No air conditioning.

On the other hand, didn't hundreds of people die a couple of years ago in Chicago alone when there was a brief heat wave?
Yeah, we lost about 120 a summer or two ago. Temps here were also above what they are in France right now. If france has temps comparable to Germany, they average only 4-8 days above 80 degrees a year. Not weather you normally need the AC for.

Except for the Russians, europeans are not really a hardy people in rough weather. The weather in the US is much worse than in Europe, from the day we set foot on this continent it has been making us tougher! :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I bet they're blaming us for the global warming.
If there is such a thing, screw em! Listen to them REALLY bitch when they find out we have skipped global warming right into the next ice age!

If the English don't like the Chunnel, wait until the asia minor crowd finds out they can just walk across the dry spit of land formerly known as the "British Channel"

mmmWWWHHHAAAAAAA! (evil laughter through marble halls) (double damn, NO EVIL smiley) :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
ah.. the global warming... I can't believe they still believe that... I wonder why nobody blamed global warming for the July snow fall in Alaska... Not as plausible?

Anyways... I wonder why the hell people stick in the cities in the middle of a heat wave... It's like wearing black sweaters in the summer... Concrete jungles are not cool... they're hotter than anything else! Add the ozone expelled by factories and cars and you have even more heat...

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
ah.. the global warming... I can't believe they still believe that... I wonder why nobody blamed global warming for the July snow fall in Alaska... Not as plausible?
Global warming is happening. The issue is weather it is man made or a natural oscilation of earths atmospheric cycle. Also, the warm period prior to the "little ice age" starting in 1350 and ending near 1850 was actually warmer than present day global warming is predicted to be.

Wouldn't it be nice to hang out on the channel and watch british chicks in thongs?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
OT:
How do you proove Global warming? with the temperature records around the world? If so... That brings a heavy error burden, not only because a great amount of stations are located in CITIES (read my other post) or if they aren't located in cities, the records are very doubtfull (ie Russian Stations)

I'm not saying there isn't any global warming... there is a great probability of such event to happen, but not to the extent many ecologists and "scientists" are saying. I think the tops for a global warming is 1-2ºC in the century... I say tops... because the models they use for global warming predictions are filled with flaws and also considering the vast amount of variables in metereology and climatology, it's very dificult to predict very well.

There are scientific papers that say that a Solar activity low comming soon in 2030, but all of the models they use for global warming predictions use the sun heat output as a constant...

Duke.. you well said it... The catastrofic global warming is very unprobable... it'll be like the Medieval warm period... and the English will be able to have vineyards...

Can you believe some of the same "scientists" that in the 60's were crying that the global cooling was going to be catastrophic and it will change the world and species will die and all? Many of those are now crying the same speach with the global warming scare...

On topic:
Lafayette must be crawling in his tomb hearing you guys bashing the french....:)

Jeff

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
That's a pretty high death toll, maybe they should surrender. ;)

.....FINALLY !!!! Something intelligent, usefull, and humorous from you! You may redeem yourself just yet!

jordanb

Cyburbian
They use ice and lake bed core samples to analyze climatic history. They're very accurate. Imagine tree growth rings from a tree that has been alive for tens of thousands of years.

As far as the models go, they're just models, and I'm sure every model ever produced has had a large discussion of all of the possible complications. The increase in CO2 was originally predicted to decrease temperature (global cooling), models have improved and that was before they had the core samples. That's probably why scientists favor the term "climate change" to "global cooling/warming". The fact is that the planet is getting warmer, and that the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing. Are the two related? Possibly. Is the CO2 increase our fault? Probably. Will the climate change significantly enough to make life difficult? Maybe. By how many feet does the level of the Atlantic have to increase before Manhattan is under water? Venice is already threatned by rising sea levels.

I see it like this, suppose you're driving a bus full of high school football players to the state championship, and you're going 90mph so you can make it on time. There looks like there's a storm brewing but it dosen't appear to be all that bad. Then you hear on the radio that the river levels have swelled and sombody called in saying that the bridge you're approaching got washed out. Half the team says that the storm dosen't look all that bad and that the caller was probably someone on the opposing team trying to keep them from getting to the game on time, but the other half is afraid of running off the bridge. So the question is, do you slow down and miss the beginning of the game, or do you ignore the naysayers and proceed as usual?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
OT:How do you proove Global warming? ...Lafayette must be crawling in his tomb hearing you guys bashing the french....:)
Nah, Lafayette would be with us :)

Global warming is on topic. The europeans were furious with us when we would not sign the Kyoto Protocol on Global Warming. So they could/might link this heat wave to us through global warming. I havn't heard it yet but I am waiting :)

Global warming does not mean "warming", it is a catch all phrase for "more intense weather cycles" or alternately "more energy in the atmosphere" meaning more intense weather cycles. Heat, rain, draught, snow, growing season are all indicators, as a whole but not individually.

There could be benifits to global warming as well. Really cool beaches further north :) Nearly naked women running around CHI 9 months of the year instead of 3 :)