• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Going...Going.....Hopefully Gone.

Jeff

Cyburbian
We'll find out in the next couple of hours if the greedy SOBs walk out. I personally hope they do.

I do feel bad for all those who will be indirectly effected by the strike though, ticket takers, concession stand workers, etc.

I was reading yesterday that Philly will lose approx. $325,000 in revenue for every home game missed. Philadelphia is in the middle of building a new ball park for these jerks and it is being built with taxpayer money. The fact that they will be hurting our tax base if they walk out gets me so mad.

Does anyone else live in an area with new or proposed stadiums? If so, what are your feellings on the strike. It seems to me that most people really just don't care, myself included.

Glomer

I live in Minnesota where as I'm sure you know.....we are on the cutting block for being contracted if we don't get a stadium.

I personally love baseball and would hate to see the Twins go (having them play so well this year makes it all the more painfull) However, I do not think the public should have to subsidize stadiums.

nerudite

Cyburbian
All I know is that hockey exhibition games are starting in my fair Province this weekend... woohoo! Any other sport falls short. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
YUP!

I second that.. I'm just excited about the tickets we got to see the Stars play Phoenix for the home opener out here.. I'm going to be wearing a Utah jersey though, to show support for their farm team...

Has hockey ever had a strike? Or any other sport for that matter? I really have no idea, so if someone with more knowledge in this could give me a clue I'd appreciate it-

Glomer

TexasPlanner

You Stole our Stars!!!!!!!!! millions of spent public money later, we have another stadium and a new team. Is this the future of the Twins and Vikings????

Oh, and don't worry about stealing the Stars.......I hate hockey. It is about as boring as watching a soccer game. The fights give it the edge over watching two obese elderly ladies play badmiton.

Bucky alum

Milwaukee should have a team

There should be no hockey team south of the mason dixon line. Hockey is a cold weather sport. Winnipeg should have never moved to Phoenix, Minnesota should have never moved to Dallas, and Milwaukee should have the Miami franchise if the greedy NHL SOBs hadn't changed the rules late into the game. BTW, is it just me or does Minnesota have the worst pro sports owners in sports.
While Bud Selig isn't the most intelligent man, he isn't a greedy SOB, I truely think he does what he thinks is in the best interest of the league.
Carl Pohland, the old Stars owner, and that damn guy who owns the Vikings are absolutely the worst. 3 of the richest men in sports and they consistently put a cheap product on the field.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Re: YUP!

TexasPlanner said:
I second that.. I'm just excited about the tickets we got to see the Stars play Phoenix for the home opener out here.. I'm going to be wearing a Utah jersey though, to show support for their farm team...

Has hockey ever had a strike? Or any other sport for that matter? I really have no idea, so if someone with more knowledge in this could give me a clue I'd appreciate it-
The NFL has at least once (late 80's or early 90's). The NBA has as well. I'm not sure about the NHL, but I believe it has as well.

Glomer

bucky alum you are right about owners of minnesota sports teams.

What makes it hard to take, is that although tight wad pohlad won't spend any money on his team.......his team is 16 1/2 games ahead in the division.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: YUP!

TexasPlanner said:

Hockey had a strike in 1995... and it was actually kind of cool (for those people that live outside of the NHL cities). A lot players returned to their home countries or played with smaller franchises. The world games that year were pretty exciting because a lot of the big stars played that would otherwise would be too busy earning the big bucks from their franchises.

I remember I went to Las Vegas one weekend and I got to see CuJo play in a little venue because he was playing for the Thunder when the strike was on. I wonder if any of the baseball players would do anything like this.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
Flyers season ticket holder baby!!!
Sweet! My ex-boyfriend was a huge Flyers fan. We used to go to the New Years Eve games in Vancouver BC when we lived close by. I saw Hextall play in Vancouver during one New Years where he shut out the Canucks and the final score was 8-0 or something embarassing.

Any chance you need an old flyers jersey? I think it has Niinimaa on the back (which proves how old that is). My ex left it behind, and I never had the heart to throw it away. Yours for the taking.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Thanks but the only people at the games who still wear the old school jerseys are the ones who don't have the guts to cut the mullet, or lose the pink comb in the back pocket.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yeah, I know what ya mean. One of these days I'll give it away to Goodwill or something... it just takes effort (because I would have to gather up all the other stuff sitting around the house as well).

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Milwaukee should have a team

Bucky alum said:
There should be no hockey team south of the mason dixon line. Hockey is a cold weather sport. Winnipeg should have never moved to Phoenix, Minnesota should have never moved to Dallas, and Milwaukee should have the Miami franchise if the greedy NHL SOBs hadn't changed the rules late into the game. BTW, is it just me or does Minnesota have the worst pro sports owners in sports.
While Bud Selig isn't the most intelligent man, he isn't a greedy SOB, I truely think he does what he thinks is in the best interest of the league.
Carl Pohland, the old Stars owner, and that damn guy who owns the Vikings are absolutely the worst. 3 of the richest men in sports and they consistently put a cheap product on the field.
Chicago has the worst owners and management in pro sports.

i don't need to explain why, the teams speak for themselves.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:
Any chance you need an old flyers jersey? I think it has Niinimaa on the back (which proves how old that is). My ex left it behind, and I never had the heart to throw it away. Yours for the taking.
I'LL TAKE IT!

I'm a huge Flyers fan... I remember the parades when they won the cups. And was at the first one. It figures now that I'm on the west coast they aren't playing in Vancouver...

Seriously... I'd love to have it.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

I'LL TAKE IT!

I'm a huge Flyers fan... I remember the parades when they won the cups. And was at the first one. It figures now that I'm on the west coast they aren't playing in Vancouver...

Seriously... I'd love to have it.
Sold... for the low price of NOTHING! Yay! One more thing out of my closet. :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:

Sold... for the low price of NOTHING! Yay! One more thing out of my closet. :)
I e-mailed you my address... Let me know what the postage cost you, and give a return address. Perhaps a nice... well, something from Oregon will show up!