• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Going to DC?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Last night I began looking at costs and reservations for the APA conference in Washington DC. I started wondering who is planning to attend?
 

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Messages
1,037
Points
23
Same here. I was really thinking about going, but it's not going to work this year, unfortunately. Too expensive (hint to APA to lower registration prices!)
 

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,945
Points
40
Already registered and will be there Sat. through Wed.
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,918
Points
37
What is this APA you speak of? ;)

I may look at making an "unofficial" weekend trip to any associated laefest that occurs as a part of the conference proceedings.
 

SGB

Cyburbian
Messages
3,388
Points
26
I'll most likely be at home helping to care for young'un #2.

I trust someone will have a lae for me. ;-)
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Tranplanner said:
I may look at making an "unofficial" weekend trip to any associated laefest that occurs as a part of the conference proceedings.
I may try to do this as well. It's only 3.5 hours or so for me to drive down for a weekend laefest. Unfortunatly I won't be going to the conference. Work won't pay, and there's that little issue of me no longer paying my APA membership dues. .
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,889
Points
26
not this time

biscuit said:
I may try to do this as well. It's only 3.5 hours or so for me to drive down for a weekend laefest. Unfortunatly I won't be going to the conference. Work won't pay, and there's that little issue of me no longer paying my APA membership dues. .
Not this time.. not for a while.. training budget went bye-bye,
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
25,813
Points
61
Not in my own or employer's budget.
have attended 2 conferences in 11 yrs - only where I had free housing.
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
Like Tranplanner I think I'm making it a long vacation weekend, but wont attend the conference. I'm still trying to find an affordable hotel. Airfare is dirt cheap right now.
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
I had planned on it, but don't think it is possible.

If I do it will be only for the weekend, the good news is my cousin just got posted to the DC area so I'll have free housing.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Chet said:
Like Tranplanner I think I'm making it a long vacation weekend, but wont attend the conference. I'm still trying to find an affordable hotel. Airfare is dirt cheap right now.
Only $181 round trip on Midwest Express, or $151 if I fly American. Airfare is cheap, it is everything else that gets expensive. Lodging is $150 a night + 15% tax, or add another $285 to stay at the conference hotel. The conference itself is $495 if you pay by February 6th and if you pay online. Send in payment by fax or mail and add $30. It ends up costing at least $1500 before you factor in other costs like food, transportation, any of the special programs you may want to attend.... Reaching $2000 won't be difficult.

It is a very difficult decision. I can't justify the expense for my work budget. There are too many regional activities that are far less expensive, and the IEDC conference is so much more worthwhile. For my personal budget, there are a lot of things that might make more sense for me to be spending $2000 on. I could make a case for the work budget defraying the cost - perhaps a 50-50 split. Still, is it worth it?
 
Messages
5,352
Points
31
This is the first time in about 8 years that I will not be attending the conference. It's getting harder and harder to justify going to the APA conference when they are other conferences that are more relevant to my job and much more inexpensive than the APA conference.
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
Maybe the midwest contingent could rent a van and make the trip to Toronto for the CIP conference in July?

Even with ourhigh dollar it would be a deal.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
Im sure for those that come to town and dont go to the Con itself there will be some fun bar hop'n in G'town.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
PlannerGirl said:
Im sure for those that come to town and dont go to the Con itself there will be some fun bar hop'n in G'town.
I did see some hotels available around the university, if anyone has to make reservations yet.
 

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Messages
2,779
Points
24
I really want to go. However, I will be moving around the time of the conference, so I don't think I will make it. If I were not moving, I would have been happy to house a needy planner. My work is helping with some of the mobile workshops, which are really cool sites to visit.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
While I still could change my mind, for now, I am not planning to attend. That does not mean that I would not make a trip for a laefest, though.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
im sure some of us local planners will pick a good pub to go have a cold one in. DC is LOVELY in late April-come on down!
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,926
Points
57
Rem said:
FYI - I won't be able to make it this year.
Awwww, that's too bad. I hope you're coping with the loss! ;-)
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Rem said:
FYI - I won't be able to make it this year.
Who says that the Cyburbia Annual Laefest has to be at the APA conference? Let's all head down to Sydney for the next one.
 

Rem

Cyburbian
Messages
1,523
Points
23
Cardinal said:
Who says that the Cyburbia Annual Laefest has to be at the APA conference? Let's all head down to Sydney for the next one.
Yay. Provided we are economical with the sleeping arrangements, I figure I can house 29.3 Cyburbanites in various degrees of comfort. Anyone got a problem with sleeping on a boat? (The boat is on a trailer parked in the driveway BTW).
 

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Messages
322
Points
11
I'll be here, I'm one of the tour guides. We understand that there will be two demostrations going on those days, so you will a real taste of what its like to live here. (god-damn demonstrators screwing up traffic again)..... hope to see some of you in DC.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
whos protesting now? It seems like us locals should get a weekly flyer or something with whos on the mall when so we can go or avoid the area at all costs.

hehe
 

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Messages
322
Points
11
The APA representatives told us that there is going to be an anti-war protest and a protest at the World Bank. We may not be able to show off the Mall because of the protests.
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Rem said:
Yay. Provided we are economical with the sleeping arrangements, I figure I can house 29.3 Cyburbanites in various degrees of comfort. Anyone got a problem with sleeping on a boat? (The boat is on a trailer parked in the driveway BTW).
I don't know but I'm guessing that opening a boarding house for vacationing international Cyburbanits in a single family residential neighborhood isn't allowed by your city's zoning code. So being the ethical planners we are, we would be be forced to report you to the proper authorities - After we finish eating all of your food, drinking all of your beer and using up the last of the hot water of course. ;-)
 

Rem

Cyburbian
Messages
1,523
Points
23
biscuit said:
I don't know but I'm guessing that opening a boarding house for vacationing international Cyburbanits in a single family residential neighborhood isn't allowed by your city's zoning code. So being the ethical planners we are, we would be be forced to report you to the proper authorities - After we finish eating all of your food, drinking all of your beer and using up the last of the hot water of course. ;-)
When your complaint arrives at my organisation, I will ensure it is given the 'proper treatment.'
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,473
Points
25
Rem said:
Yay. Provided we are economical with the sleeping arrangements, I figure I can house 29.3 Cyburbanites in various degrees of comfort. Anyone got a problem with sleeping on a boat? (The boat is on a trailer parked in the driveway BTW).

No problems here, as long as there is no scaliwags on board, Yarrrrrrrrrr:b:
 

jresta

Cyburbian
Messages
1,474
Points
23
chrisinmd said:
The APA representatives told us that there is going to be an anti-war protest and a protest at the World Bank. We may not be able to show off the Mall because of the protests.
in that case maybe i will see you there ;-)
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
Damn the world bank ones are the ones that cause so much trouble. Sigh

They normaly are not on the mall long, they seem to like to roam the downtown streets near the white house and make trouble. Allthe monuments save for the Washington Monument are always fine. Should not cause any problems for folks wanting to visit say Dupont, Georgetown, most of the Smithsonian etc. But as always watch out for the DC cops.
 

jresta

Cyburbian
Messages
1,474
Points
23
PlannerGirl said:
But as always watch out for the DC cops.
yeah, seriously, if you're young dress like a young republican from a bad 80's movie. you don't want to get mistaken for "one of them" even if "they" are nowhere in sight.

They actually beat and arrested a couple of lawyers last time around. As they they're fond of saying "you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride."
 
Top