• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Going to Denver???

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Don't know? I bet this will change your mind...session on Sunday @ 1pm - Are Gays and Rock Bands Key to Econ. Dev.?

Kind of interesting....

Anyway, anyone going?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think I'll have to wait until the next joint APA/CIP conference, and then only if it's in Toronto...we don't get to go nowhere.

I toyed with the idea of taking some vacation time and making a road trip out of it, but then I figured that maybe I should get a life.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I thought Twisted Sister was the only gay rock band. Oh, and Judas Priest. Oh, and Queen. And *sigh* never mind.

Yes I'm definitely going to Denver. I even have my tentative session list picked out (Gays and Rock Bands was unfortunately not on my short list however).

And I see they're back to the one-drink ticket events. You would think they'd learn from the past that its a bad idea....

donk

Cyburbian
For the east coasters, the CIP conference is in Halifax in June.

We of course won't be discussing ideas as lofty as those at teh APA.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Since I'm looking for a different job, I probably will not go. If leads dry up by mid January I may change my mind and register.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Well, I'm going, but I don't think I'm going to be participating in any APA activities. It's more of a chance to get to hang out with my Mom. I'll just go tour breweries by day, party at night, try to ski for the first time. :)

jmf

Cyburbian
donk said:
For the east coasters, the CIP conference is in Halifax in June.

We of course won't be discussing ideas as lofty as those at teh APA.
Since it is only a 1/2 hour away and I can stay at the homestead, I am hoping to get to some of it, maybe.

Hey is anyone else coming? We should meet at the Split Crow or, my favorite, the Seahorse, or somewhere.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:
I'll just go tour breweries by day, party at night, try to ski for the first time. :)

I can't wait to party with Ash!

Habanero

Cyburbian
hee-

I drink all day while the rest of you "work". You'll notice me right off- I'm the crazy tispy one on the dance floor.
:)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:
hee-

I drink all day while the rest of you "work". You'll notice me right off- I'm the crazy tispy one on the dance floor.
:)

....and Monica will be the one passed out in the lounge on the couch!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing Denver for the first time. I will not, however, be engaging in any skiing....my knees couldn't take it.

And Brian...on the 1-drink tix....we'll just have to find another consulting firm reception to fix that! :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I still haven't decided between APA and CIP this year (been to Denver plenty of times... never been to Halifax). APA conferences are bigger/better (from what I hear), but CIP may be more pertinent to my current job. Plus, I need to see if the budget even passes and that I get to retain all my conference dinero. Keep your fingers crossed boys and girls!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
nerudite said:
I still haven't decided between APA and CIP this year (been to Denver plenty of times... never been to Halifax). APA conferences are bigger/better (from what I hear), but CIP may be more pertinent to my current job.
APA conference

CIP conference

nerudite

Cyburbian
But Dan...

The curling guys you show in the picture are probably more drunk than the guys at the party at the APA conference. If it's all about the parties, Canadians know how to do it right. ;)

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Made my hotel reservation yesterday. I haven't been in years: a boycott of sorts over non-relevant programs.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I hope to go - can't make a commitment just yet, so I'll probably end up in some Super 8 out by the highway and have to drive in to the conference center every day.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Social Gathering?

I hear that they will be playing at the GALIP social.

(OK to view from work)

NHPlanner

Staff member
2nd Annual Cyburbia Social

I know it's really early....but since my boss confirmed that we are indeed going to Denver...anyone have any thoughts on which night will be the Cyburbia Social...Take 2?

We're hoping to arrive on Saturday, and will have to leave on Wednesday to be back for a Planning Board meeting...

Saturday night looks like the only one without a reception (free drink/s) or a Brewery Tour/Blues Pub Crawl....but I'm open to any of the nights...

Anyone (Dan?) familiar with Denver to suggest a location?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: 2nd Annual Cyburbia Social

NHPlanner said:
....Saturday night looks like the only one without a reception (free drink/s) or a Brewery Tour/Blues Pub Crawl....but I'm open to any of the nights...

Anyone (Dan?) familiar with Denver to suggest a location?
I'm flying in Friday afternoon and leaving Wednesday. Saturday works for me.

I think Friday will be my night to go slumming! ;)
Where's the redlight district, Dan?

I heard of a place - I think called the Redfish?? - that would be cool.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Re: Re: 2nd Annual Cyburbia Social

bturk said:

I think Friday will be my night to go slumming! ;)
That's it? Or are we talking going all out on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at the airport?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Just one night?
That's what I was wondering!! You all better not let me down :-b

OK, dumb question, but for those going, are you bringing your SO's - spouses, etc. I doubt I could get Chad to go to save my life, so I'm planning on coming with a girl friend of mine. The people I have talked to here are all bringing their wifes/husbands and stuff, and I didn't know if we would be the token single people or not.

What's the atmoshphere...wild and crazy, bored and stuffy??

Habanero

Cyburbian
ha ha, I didn't even think about it. I would take James, but only because he can keep up with me and since I sometimes tell him stories he'd probably want to join in on the fun out there.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:

That's what I was wondering!! You all better not let me down :-b
I vote for one long "binge conference" beginning with the drive out there (designated drivers, folks!) and only ending when John Ashcroft sends in the troops to forcibly remove us.

OK, dumb question, but for those going, are you bringing your SO's - spouses, etc. I doubt I could get Chad to go to save my life, so I'm planning on coming with a girl friend of mine. The people I have talked to here are all bringing their wifes/husbands and stuff, and I didn't know if we would be the token single people or not.
Wanna bring a girlfriend for me? ;-)

What's the atmoshphere...wild and crazy, bored and stuffy??
In New Orleans, of all places, I thought it might take on a lively atmosphere. Sadly, no. The degree of fun-ness is directly related to the people you hang with, and how far from the scheduled conference proceedings you can get. How do you want potential future employers to remember you? Passed out on a couch? Urinating behind the bar? Or like El Guapo in a previously deleted post?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Wanna bring a girlfriend for me? ;-)
Well, actually...the friend that's going with me IS single, and guess what ((long dramatic pause)) she's located in good ole WI whoah hoah ;) She's a planner too, if that makes any difference.....

I vote for one long "binge conference"
Amen brother!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
oh guys this is mean i wanna go but there is no way. when are yall coming back east? back to the "right" coast *wink*???

donk

Cyburbian
PG and other east coast orphans you are all more then welcome to come to CIP in Halifax in June.

NHPlanner

Staff member
SW MI Planner said:
OK, dumb question, but for those going, are you bringing your SO's - spouses, etc.
I'd love to have my wife come out with me, but alas, we can't afford to take her along...I'm paid for by my employer, and we need the money for our summer vacation (hopefully a return trip to PEI).

Atmosphere is what you make of it....I have yet to attend a national conference where I didn't have a great time. (Been to APA in San Francisco, Toronto, San Diego, Boston, and Chicago)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
RE: Just one night?

I'm just saying that's my night to get away from the "conference crowd" and see the scene for myself. And Tex, I'm all about airport lounges!