• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Going to Denver?

Are you attending APA National in Denver?

• Definitely....already registered.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Probably, still trying to convince the higher ups.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Probably not, budget is tight

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Definitely not, why go when I can work?

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other explanation, gladly expounded upon below.

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Are you attending the APA National Conference in Denver?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
By the way, my boss and I registered last week.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Nope...not even an option for me unless I take the vacation myself.

SGB

Cyburbian
I wish. County budgets in NY are so screwed up right now that attending any national conference that isn't in in state is probably out of the question.

SGB said:
I wish. County budgets in NY are so screwed up right now that attending any national conference that isn't in in state is probably out of the question.
SGB - even if our budget weren't in the crapper, i think all we'd get is registration, no airfare or lodging. sigh.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I wouldnt be able to go to the APA conference if it was held in our own City Hall. My employer has a definite aversion to conferences, which I don't quite understand, considering that "professional growth" is on my yearly performance review.

If I went it would be on my dime, using my vacation time. Not really the way I want to use a week of vacation. I had considered going to denver as a tourist during the conference and not registering...just doing social activities, skiing, and checking out the sights...but now I am not sure.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Not sure about going yet. Money isn't an issue - got money in my budget for both training and travel expenses. Don't really need permission.

I am trying to get a good friend of mine to go with me. Her cousin lives in Denver, so we could stay with her making it even cheaper. She's outgoing as all get out, so that would help me not be a little shy turd when I'm there. She's the one thats a planner in WI that I mention occasionally. The thing is, she just got a new director and there are a few people in her department, so she is going to try to talk the new dept head into letting her go.

OK, to make a short answer longer - I was only going to go if she was, but now I am thinking that I will go anyway, since this might be my last year without babies. BUT, then I don't really want to go by myself either (see post about being shy). ((This coming from a person who went to Europe by herself for two months)).

Anywho..... I guess the short answer is that I am still undecided.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I get to go to at least one conference anywhere I want in the US or Canada. I just submitted my budget estimate for Denver and for Halifax (CIP national conference). If I get approved for both (which is likely), I will go to Denver. If I get approved for one, I will go to Halifax. I have been to APA nationals before (and yes, they are awesome)... but I think I need to rub elbows with some CIP folks to get my chance to wiggle my way into the planning network up here.

So... it's still up in the air...

I'm really hoping that I get to go to both, since I have a few good friends from other cities that will be going as well.

Here's a tip for Canadians or anyone interested in the APA Conference that lives outside the US:

Non-member registration is $695 US... However (upon close inspection), I realized that the member rate for registration if you live outside the US is only $295. Depending on what country you live in, APA dues are fairly inexpensive (Canada is approximately $150US). So even if you have to pay the APA dues, Canadians are still getting into the APA conference for only $445US as opposed to all of our US brethren that have to pay $495. Weird, but true.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
My rant is in another thread.

Just another pissy thing to add to my pissy day...

Habanero

Cyburbian
I really want to, my Mom is going to be up there and so are her long time planner friends that I'd love to see again, besides going to a Cyburbia bash. It really depends on funds. My birthday is 2 days after the end of the shindig so I may be able to get a few days off for that-

The City I work for doesn't "do" APA stuff, so it'd be self-funded. I may just be put there for the fun of it, not for the work of it.

nerudite

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
My birthday is 2 days after the end of the shindig so I may be able to get a few days off for that-
Hey, mine is two days before... maybe a joint birthday party is in order!!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yep!

Registered, airfare booked, and hotel reserved. No looking back now!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I sure hope to be there, it just depends on ane big unresolved issue. Even if I can't make it for the conference, I may check out the airfare to just come in for a couple of nights for:

Cyburbia! The Big Bash 2003!

Habanero

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

Hey, mine is two days before... maybe a joint birthday party is in order!!!
Oh yeah! I'll be the big 2-4-- ha ha, geez, that's too young. I'll gladly accept donations of years, I'd like to be 26 this year, not 24. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:

Huh?? What??

Sounds like a good time to be had in Denver, huh?
Hehehe... leave it to you, Mike...

Of course, I'll never look at a Joint Use Parking Agreement now the same way again either. ;)