• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Going To See RENT....Again

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
For the third straight year, Katie Bear and This Bear are going to Toledo's Stranahan Theater to take in "Rent", the musical. Going on Tuesday night,
6-22-04. My son and his wife and my 12-year old granddaughter (Anjelica) are also going.

It's a wonderful show. Great music.

But.....the subject matter scares the "bee-jees-us" out of many theatergoers:

Lesbians (a hot Cyburbia topic), transvestites, people dying of aids, rent controls in nyc, love, erotic dancers at s & m clubs, homosexuals.....and a couple of very strong messages.....

"Live for today"......and "Love".

I get the chills when I see the show or hear the music. If it comes to your town, go see it.

No day but today.....

BEAR

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was lucky enough at the NYC APA conference to sneak out and get a last minute ticket to see Rent on Broadway. Probably the best musical I have ever seen... worth every penny of the $75!

Hceux

Cyburbian
RENT was a great theatre show. At Leceister Square in London, I walked by this half-priced ticket booth and decided to buy a half-priced ticket at last minute. I'm glad that I decided to see the show. The energy, performance, and the unique music were all the worth while and the excitement of the show. Definitely worth whatever I paid for that ticket.

I still remember the "cup" ol' da (get it? couple of the) performances, especially the "cup" one and the "broomstick" one.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Thread Revival Because RENT Is Now A Movie

This Bear is bringing back an olde thread.....because the great stage musical RENT is now coming to your favorite theater. It's a movie!

If you watch any TV at all you have probably seen the advertisements for the movie version. It is going to open on the day before Thanksgiving.

Katie and this Bear will be there that night. Can't wait.

A lot of the original Broadway cast is in the movie. I strongly recommend the stage version and I very-much-hope to recommend the movie version, too.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
As our personal tribute to the 25th anniversary of the discovery of the Aids virus last night Katie and I watched the movie version of "Rent" (available on DVD). Very few differences from the stage play, although a difference that Cyburbians would notice are the sets.....gritty New York City warehouse lofts, barren, dirty. Watching the stage play doesn't give you the gritty feel (due to set limitations).

A couple of the complaints that critics had about the movie version were the age of the actors and the end of Aids and HIV as important or relevant news stories.

This Bear argues back that the age doesn't matter.....Angel, Tom, Roger, could all pick-up the disease whether twentyish (when the original play was released) or thirtyish. In the movie version, Mimi is a bit younger.

The importance of the story.....Aids, HIV, rent controls.....nothing dated or unimportant. Still a strong storyline, almost 10 years later. The only part of the storyline that is outdated is the reference to the Cyber community. But, that gets handled in the opening scenes when the year (1989) is very clearly indicated.

If you have not watched the stage version the movie may not hit you the same way. If you have been to the stage version (Bear and Katie always go when it is in the Toledo area) you will appreciate the movie.

Bear