• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Good Bye to A:

Jeff

Cyburbian
I haven't used a floppy disk since I left my old job a year ago. They are 20 years behind the times though anyway.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Good riddance! I won't miss having that metal thing geting stuck in the drive.

The floppy discs will join the ranks with 8-tracks, Betamax, and soon-to-be obsolete VHS tapes and cassettes. Vinyl still has a cult following, especially with DJ's.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i dont think ill miss it-its just another hole for dust and dog hair to get in

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
bturk said:
Doesn't matter. I'll still use 'em. I need 'em for boot disks when I play around with alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD, and I can't think of a way to update a BIOS without 'em.

I just did some massive upgrades to my home PC, and I had enough parts left over to build a second decent box. One part I don't have, though, is a 5 1/4" floppy drive. I really want to put one in my Athlon 2400XP box. Spray paint it silver, to match the Lian Li case ... :)

Planderella said:
The floppy discs will join the ranks with 8-tracks, Betamax, and soon-to-be obsolete VHS tapes and cassettes.
IMHO, floppies will be with us until there is ONE standard for a replacement. Right now, there's too many removable media options. CD burners are cheap now, but the media is delicate, and burning coasters isn't as transparent as copying data to a floppy. I have a Zip drive, but the disks are expensive; $10 for 92 megs. SyQuest and Castlewood disks never took off. MO, MD, Mini Zip ... the list goes on.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I think that's fine, but if I need to bring work home my office is behind in the times and I don't have any other way to transport documents back and forth.

Jeff

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
I think that's fine, but if I need to bring work home my office is behind in the times and I don't have any other way to transport documents back and forth.
You can easily e-mail anything that would fit on a floppy.

However, I do understand the behind the times thing. We didn't have the "e-mail option" at my old job. Those one-piece box Mac thingies just didn't support it ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
El Guapo said:
Dan, I think I still have 2 51/4 drives - yours for the asking.
Consider 'em gone! Can I stop by your place next weekend?

Runner

Cyburbian
I was able to adjust just fine from the 5.25" disks to 3.5". Lately I have been relying on 100 MB zip drives and hardly ever use 3.5" disks. I do like to have a removable / transportable storage media so will continue to use the zip drive.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
El Guapo said:
Yep,
Let me find them or I can mail them - your call.
I can drive on up. Gotta' explore St. Joe some more, and I want to bring you and the missus a little gift.