• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Good Cheap Wine

el Guapo

Capitalist
Tell me about the good cheap wines you have discovered. Nothing over $20.00 please. ($850 CND)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Ecco Domoni and there is a merlot, Blackstone, that is actually pretty good for $8/bottle-

BKM

Cyburbian
Bogle makes some good wines. I like their Merlot and their Sauvignon Blanc (a little sweet).

BKM

Cyburbian
Trader Joes

What you guys really need, though, is Trader Joes! One grocery store chain out here I can't resist patronizing. Cool foods, great beer selection, cheap wine, free samples at lunch.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If you can find any in the stores, hunt down merlots from 1997 ... preferably those from the Pacific Northwest.

Spanish "old vine" wines are reasonably priced, yet wonderfully complex. Most are red varietals.

Also, check out Bully Hill! Seriously!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A few choices from my cellar -

Whites:
Louis Latour Montagny 1er Cru (Chardonney)
TJ Reisling
Balduin Von Hovel Reisling
(and most any Reisling from the Mosel-Saar-Ruhr region)
Marc Bredif Vouvray

Reds:
Michel Colin-Deleger et Fils, Maranges 1er Cru (Burgundy)
Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel
Domaine de la Madone (Beaujolais)
Belvedere Pinot Noir
Georges Duboeuf Chateau des Bachelards Fleurie
Louis Bernard Cotes-du-Rhone Villages

Desert Wines:
Tokaji Furmint Oremus Noble Late Harvest (Hungarian)
Trentadue Zinfandel Port

Jeff

Cyburbian
Let's see...

Boone's, Thunderbird, Night Train, Wild Irish Rose...anything with a screw-off cap is just great!!

No seriously...I'm not sure if they do a mail order over the internet or not, but back in my drinkin' days we would always buy cases of wine from Buckingham Valley Vineyards, in Buckingham, PA. A local winery that charges around $5-7 a bottle.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Ontario produces an excellent selection of wines, at good prices - but I'm not sure about availability in your neck of the woods. Anyting produced by a VQA (Vinters Quality Alliance) member is likely to be good. I like Vineland estates Chenin Blanc, and Lakeview's Meritage. Inniskillen and Jackson-Triggs are two of the bigger producers (also VQA), they might be carried, even in Hicksville U.S.A.

If you want to pay a bit more ($40+ CDN), Ontario has some, if not the best, Icewines in the world.

Hey, if you want really cheap wine - I've got a ton left over from my wedding...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike DeVuono said:
Let's see...

Boone's, Thunderbird, Night Train, Wild Irish Rose...anything with a screw-off cap is just great!!
What's the word? THUNDERBIRD!

What's the price? Fifty twice!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Caymas Conundrum, a blend but usually listed as a white / chardonnay.

In restaurants, its about $28.00 a bottle. If you can find it retial, it should be under $20.00

Thorpe Vinyards in Central New York - between $5 - $12 a bottle, whenever we can when we're at my parents, we'll take a run over and pick up a few bottles. They are going to be prominantly featured in my office gift rotation this year.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Renwood makes great Zinfandels for around 18-20 bucks.

MD 20/20 has many fruit flavored wines, all of which taste like whatever fruit is listed mixed with turpentine. They can be found for ~ $2.00 ...Yummy :)

jtfortin said:

MD 20/20 has many fruit flavored wines, all of which taste like whatever fruit is listed mixed with turpentine. They can be found for ~ $2.00 ...Yummy :)
Ah, the drink of choice among state school alcoholic sorority sisters. Ever funnel a bottle? Not the nicest morning after. :)

jmf

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

Ah, the drink of choice among state school alcoholic sorority sisters. Ever funnel a bottle? Not the nicest morning after. :)
I may need Donk's help on the names but popular choices at my university were: Miramichi Magic, Great White or Brights (there may have been others). Then someone got the brillant idea of mixing one of these or Alcool with grape juice in a huge garbage can. EEEWwwwwwww

But back to the original topic, there are some great local wines here but I don't know how widely distributed. One is Jost, I have heard they send all of their best stuff away. Another is the Domaine du Grand Pre.

Also, Deinhard Lila is a great sparkling wine. (it's not local)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The wife and I picked up a couple of bottles of Jost when we were in Nova Scotia in September - good stuff, nice price.

donk

Cyburbian
I will third josts. the riesling is relatively good for the price ($12-15 CDN). I would second Tranplanners suggestion about ice wine, if you can't afford the good stuff there are some brandies that use ice wine as the base that are relatively inexpensive and good.

JMF, what about hermits or black castle. I have only heard how good they are. The alcools with kool aid brings back memories too. (very foggy ones but they are there)

Forgot to add babyduck

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Anyone ever heard of Cisco?

It's supposedly a wine, but it tastes like grain alcohol with bad artifical flavorings... and the alcohol content is around 22%

People at my school called it "liquid crack".

jmf

Cyburbian
donk said:
JMF, what about hermits or black castle. I have only heard how good they are. The alcools with kool aid brings back memories too. (very foggy ones but they are there)
My memories are so foggy I forgot about Hermits, or what it just wishful thinking!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
Anyone ever heard of Cisco?

It's supposedly a wine, but it tastes like grain alcohol with bad artifical flavorings... and the alcohol content is around 22%

People at my school called it "liquid crack".
Sad to admit it, but I am very familiar with cisco....

If you can drink it out of a paper bag, I've probably indulged once or twice.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
Tell me about the good cheap wines you have discovered. Nothing over $20.00 please. ($850 CND)
If this is for your bribe to NHPlanner, I'd recommend Mad Dog or Night Train. He and I went to the same planning school, but I was a few years ahead of him, so I haven't tipped any back with him. I do recall, however, that Mad Dog was popular with the planners.

The advantage of Night Train, however, is that you can use it in your car's radiator in place of antifreeze. Winter is long and cold in New Hampshire, so he might appreciate the versatility.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Good Cheap Wine

Bullwinkle said:

I do recall, however, that Mad Dog was popular with the planners.
Yeah it was big at UW-Zero too. I vaguely recall having to call a girl I knew to come over and take my contact lenses out for me.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Bump...

I just couldn't help myself....that is, bumping a 10-year old thread.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
TJs just opened a new store ten minutes from our house, so no more hour long drives, spending $15-20 in gas to buy a $3 bottle of wine.