• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Good City websites

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We talked before about horrible City websites, and I said mine was a good example. I think that it doesn't give enough information, plus it's ugly and boring.

What are some good websites that I can use as examples of what ours *should* be - informative, interesting, attractive, blah blah, blah.

Gracias!

biscuit

Cyburbian
There are so many its hard to nail down the best but in the name of unabashed boosterism, I nominate my city's website as one of the best.
It's not flashy but is easy to navigate and is full of useful info and links. It also has great map and neighborhood info pages

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us

Beaner said:
The Village of Schaumburg, Illinois, has an excellent site. They are located in suburban Chicago, and they appear to nurture development interests, based on their planning section.

http://www.ci.schaumburg.il.us/
One of my friends, a web developer, would disagree with that site. It has way too much information/words on the first page. It's almost overwhelming.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

One of my friends, a web developer, would disagree with that site. It has way too much information/words on the first page. It's almost overwhelming.
I agree. Simple is better in my opinion too.

I always thought
Davis ran a good website.

I also like Vancouver BC's website.

The City of Austin has good content, although I find the index page a little busy.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
If you are looking for information, then, umm, yeah, lots of text would be a good thing. The one commodity that municipalities can offer is information, therefore a site that is heavy in text but easy to navigate is tops in my book.

Planderella said:

SGB

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

Is a town supervisor like a mayor or more like a city manager or administrator?
In New York State, a town supervisor is the chief elected officer for the town, much like the mayor of a city or village.

In those towns without a professional manager/administrator, the supervisor often plays that administrative role, too.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Jacksonville's has recently been revamped and it now qualifies as user-friendly, though parts of the Planning Department page could use major work. It's at www.coj.net.