• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 good evening from new brunswick

weezerfan

Hey everyone, I am glad that I finally joined this board as I have been a frequent vistor for the last year or more. I am a 2nd year civil engineering student studying in fredericton new brunswick. My plan is to focus on transportation planning primarily. I am thinking about going into transportation planning? My question to all of the wise owls in the board is. What is the main difference between a transportation planner and a transportation engineer and how would one like myself enter the planning profession here in canada. I look forward to adding my 2 cents in future convo. thanks

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia, eh? ;) Stick around, have fun and good luck with you career :)
Cheers! :b: :b:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from among the many Midwesterners.

weezerfan said:
What is the main difference between a transportation planner and a transportation engineer and how would one like myself enter the planning profession here in canada.
Answers
1. I really don't know.
2. Internship

Cardinal

Cyburbian
weezerfan said:
My question to all of the wise owls in the board is. What is the main difference between a transportation planner and a transportation engineer and how would one like myself enter the planning profession here in canada.
Welcome to yet another Canuck!

1) There is little difference. A transportation planner designs roads to move cars quickly, without regard to what lies on either side. An engineer designs roads to meet dimensional criteria set by transportation planners and a budget, without regard to what lies on either side.

2) The best way to enter the planning profession is by bringing good beer and donuts to your job interview.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
weezerfan said:
My question to all of the wise owls in the board is. What is the main difference between a transportation planner and a transportation engineer and how would one like myself enter the planning profession here in canada.
The transportation engineer knows how to do the math. The transportation planner delegated it to an intern. :) (sorry Tranplanner)

Welcome.

H

Cyburbian
I dont have an answer to your Q's, but hello to you.

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome.

(I suggest you go back to your opening post and delete all references to Civil Engineering - in the words of Basil Fawlty - "I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it").

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The world needs more Canada!

Err...I'm a Transportation Planner (not a transvestite planner as some claim), with a background in Urban Planning.

You probably have a bit more flexibility as to how you enter the field and what you can do in it with and Engineering Degree. Engineers tend to handle the technical side (signals, pavement markings, road design and traffic operations), while Planners handle things like travel demand forecasting, policy, land use/site design.

I hate math. Thank god for Excel!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Alright, you can be a transportation planner and engineer, but only if you follow Cardinal's advice: Ignore all human scale ;-)

And Welcome from someplace.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings! Make a wish, weezerfan!

All I can suggest to you is this eternal planning secret: The purpose of transportation is not to set a level of service "A", but rather a level "F", that way people are trappend and have to get out of their cars and spend their dough downtown. Where it belongs! But you didn't hear this from me, a planner and preservationist, ok? :-D

ludes98

Cyburbian
Civil engineers are too boring. I work (sometimes willingly) with 12 of them! Go planning! Welcome.