"Good" fast food design

I am looking for examples of fast food franchises that have conformed with stringent design guidelines (or ANY design guidelines, for that matter!). I do hear of these anecdotally, but would love to compile a list of actual examples so I can parpade them out when I am told, "That's impossible - headquarters would never allow it"

Thanks very much!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Main Street Maven said:
Oops - I meant "parade" - should have proofread first...
For future reference, there is an edit button so you can edit your messages.

And for examples... how about the turquoise arches in Sedona? That's always my favourite.

boiker

Cyburbian
NHPlanner has some fine examples in the gallery of a fast food restaurant reusing old structures and/or preserving community character.

jordanb

Cyburbian
There are a lot of fast food resturants in standard storefronts in Chicago, especially downtown. I don't know if that qualifies for what you're looking for or not.

BKM

Cyburbian
Check out the City of Davis, CA for a good example. Also, Danville, CA, Pleasanton, CA

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Check out the City of Davis, CA for a good example. Also, Danville, CA, Pleasanton, CA
I don't remember having any successes in Davis with the fast food companies. I argued with stupid Jack in the Box forever about those neon tubes they put around their fascia band. Of course, Davis has since updated it's design guidelines, so maybe they have better examples now.

BKM

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I don't remember having any successes in Davis with the fast food companies. I argued with stupid Jack in the Box forever about those neon tubes they put around their fascia band. Of course, Davis has since updated it's design guidelines, so maybe they have better examples now.
I just thought that the relatively new KFC on the south side was pretty nice: a brick faced building with some decent color and proportions.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here are some from Jasper, AB. The first is a usually-ugly combo, KFC and A&W.

Here is the McDonalds. Where is the garish white building with red roof and yellow trim?

It couldn't be Canada without... Tim Hortons.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
From my gallery:

Freeport ME - McDonalds

Stowe, VT - McDonalds

Another view of the Freeport McDonalds

Londonderry, NH - McDonalds

Planderella

     
I don't have any pictures, but Hilton Head, SC seems to have some pretty stringent design regulations on fast food and other commercial retail uses.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I just thought that the relatively new KFC on the south side was pretty nice: a brick faced building with some decent color and proportions.
That sounds a lot nicer than what used to be approved when I was there... god, we had to fight to get deviations from corporate standards on a regular basis. It's good to see that their design guidelines are working!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Here are some from Jasper, AB.
Why didn't I think of that! I go there a couple times a year, and I totally forgot. Banff has some nice examples too.

Here's my favourite Chevron Station (Winthrop, WA)...

If a franchise wants to be in a particular location, they will make any changes you ask for.

That being said, they are professionals at getting their signature buildings and signs. They know all the tricks and how to influence staff, commissions and councils.

The developers will look at your town and quickly assess whether they will win or lose on the "standard design." If you have exceedingly high design standards as shown by other buildings, they will be more ready to do non-standard design. That usually occurs in the wealthier communities.