• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Good Luck, Cardinal

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Well, one chapter closes and a new one begins. Best wishes to the keeper of the Cyburbia Membership Map as you strike out on a new adventure in Life! Don't be gone too long, but we'll leave the light on for you. ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Card,

Good luck in the state of mountain/plains interface!!!!

here's some stuff for your new house:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Hey, now we're neighbors. Good luck and don't get light headed and fall off the continential divide.

SGB

Cyburbian
Good luck with the move and your new job.

Don't forget to get your car engine tuned for the higher altitude. Seriously.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Best of luck with the move and the new digs! :b:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Best of Luck -
moving, setting up a new home, and starting the new job.

SGB is so right about the engine tuned up for altitude.
Mendelman is right about the Professional team but missed showing the College that of the CU Buffs Black and Gold. :)

Q. What and where is your new job - either post or PM

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yes - good luck in B...It really is a nice community.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Best of luck to you, Cardinal, on the job and the move.

Lucky you -- going from a great natural environment to a super one!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Enjoy the trip out there, it's beautiful this time of year, and good luck!

And if you're heading the way I think you're heading, be sure to check out the REI in Denver. Verrrry cool, from both an athlete's perspective and an adaptive reuse perspective. You can test their canoes in the river next to the building.

Budgie

Cyburbian
The Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute (RMLUI), which is associated with the University of Denver Law School, puts on one of the best annual conferences I've been too. I bumped into Cyburbian, Lee Nellis, there a few years ago. I personally think it rivals the University of Wisconsin, thingy.

boiker

Cyburbian
Good Luck Cardinal

Hope you enjoy the challenges and experiences the new job and location will bring.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Best of luck Cardinal. The Cheesehead contingent on Cyburbia is reduced by one. Please don't become a Broncos fan!!!

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Good luck, Cardinal! WAPA and Upper Midwest conferences will miss you.

BTW, I hear the women in Northern Colorado are pretty special.

martini

Cyburbian
Good luck in the move and thanks for your help too! I miss Colorady, and wish I could get back there. Maybe someday...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! I just thought I would take a moment to check in. I made it to Colorado on Sunday and began the new job yesterday. Once I get a new wireless card installed in my computer tonight, I will come back and get caught up.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How far is it to the ski hills (I will have to come visit!)

Best of luck, and enjoy the new start at life!

BKM

Cyburbian
Best of Luck. At least by moving to Colorado, you will be getting away from all that cheese and filling up on the wholesome goodness offered by the Boulder Vegan Womyn's Cooperative! :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
How far is it to the ski hills (I will have to come visit!)

Best of luck, and enjoy the new start at life!
"Rock City" is not very far from the ski hills. In fact, if I end up in a house up in the mountains, I could be less than a half-hour from at least a couple ski resorts - but I don't ski.

On day 2, it is looking like it will be a good job. I have already got three night meetings scheduled for this week, though, and two next week. Add those to trying to adjust to the altitude and heat (nearly 100 degrees the last two days) and adjusting my sleep schedule. I am one tired planner.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
BKM said:
Best of Luck. At least by moving to Colorado, you will be getting away from all that cheese and filling up on the wholesome goodness offered by the Boulder Vegan Womyn's Cooperative! :)
Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Get plenty of rest the first few weeks while your lungs adjust to the altitude. It takes a while. But, afterwards, when you travel to other places at lower altitudes, you get to reap the benfits of having more energy than you are used to, what with the thick air. :-D

(It can also change your bra size...but that isn't likely to be an issue for you, unless you are a cross-dresser and we just don't know it. :p )

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal.....best of luck. Don't become a Broncos fan. I'm married to one (1) and I would hate to turn-on Cyburbia and hear you wailing on about some dumb horses who can't play football.

Seriously.....enjoy the area.....it's beautiful. Enjoy your new job.....we work so many hours we have to like our work or go nuts.

Bear (Steeler Fan)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal.....almost forgot to tell ya.....

Metro Denver is only about 135,000 souls bigger than metro De Noc. And with some hard work this fall, at the ol' drawing board, I will pass the Mile High.

Bear With Amish Pencil

Belle

Cyburbian
Good luck settling in! It's a lovely community, and it's fortunate that you will get adjusted and learn your way without the students there.

(I too will be one tired Mile High planner, if only briefly, next week. I'll be out in Denver Tuesday through Sunday helping another planner find and buy a house there.)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Belle said:
(I too will be one tired Mile High planner, if only briefly, next week. I'll be out in Denver Tuesday through Sunday helping another planner find and buy a house there.)
That sounds familiar. I spent the whole weekend searching. Of course, Big Rock is too expensive, unless I want a condo (which I don't). Heading up into the mountains, I can find about 2000 square feet on an acre or two. One place even had a cabin in addition to the main house, borders national forest, and is only fifteen minutes to the Indian Peaks Wilderness or the Eldora ski area. If I head northeast, I can get 3000 square feet or more, most likely on a small lot. The trouble with the mountains or north is that they are further from the Denver metro, which would be important in the future if I ever switch jobs (many years from now), and right now, for any kind of social life. Maybe some of those Cyburbians familiar with the Denver area have some thoughts to share on the best choices of where to live.

Belle

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
That sounds familiar. I spent the whole weekend searching. Of course, Big Rock is too expensive, unless I want a condo (which I don't)....Maybe some of those Cyburbians familiar with the Denver area have some thoughts to share on the best choices of where to live.
I understand your frustration. Though I love the Rock, the price of real estate is astronomical--I have a friend who is an architect in the People's Republic, but has to commute in from Denver. And the commute into the city is tortuous from Denver: 36 is so congested, and 93 can be downright dangerous (I had a few very scary moments on it when I first moved to the Denver area, and vowed never to drive it at night). Glad to hear that the job is going well!

I hope maybe some of the Cyburbians will have some good leads for you and for us too--good luck and happy hunting!

Rem

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
..... I can find about 2000 square feet on an acre or two. One place even had a cabin in addition to the main house, borders national forest, and is only fifteen minutes to the Indian Peaks Wilderness or the Eldora ski area.....
On behalf of all free loading Cyburbians I think it is safe to say you need look no further.