• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Goodbye vBulletin 4, hello XenForo! (ongoing announcements; report issues)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Google Maps kludge with [gmap] tags.

(1) Go to Google Maps, and center the map on the location you want to embed.

(2) Click on the Google Maps menu (three bars).

(3) Click on "Share or embed maps" from the dropdown menu.

(4) Click on "Embed map".

(5) Copy the long code between https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb= and ". For the map above, it looks like !1m18!1m12!1m3!1d93532.55571272006!2d-78.93448215309492!3d42.89621760304876!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x89d3126152dfe5a1%3A0x982304a5181f8171!2sBuffalo%2C%20NY!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1607881637462!5m2!1sen!2sus ,

(6) Paste the code between the [gmap] and [/gmap] tags.

If you want to embed a Google Streetview location, do the same thing.

Urbanism!

I wish there was an easier way to do this, but Google changed their Maps API a few years ago, in a way that made easy embedding on a message board page difficult. For now, the old [map] tag is broken, but I'll fix it when an easier way to embed maps with BBcode comes along.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Stupid me. I tried to block a bot called "Rome", but by doing so, it also blocked Google Chrome.

You have my permission to post pad today. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moving Cyburbia to a new server (with the same host) this weekend, as a part of upgrading the operating system. There may be some interruptions, but hopefully they'll be minimal. :)

Where's the blog?
Nobody was using it, so it went bye bye. I might add a blogging platform in the future, if traffic picks up.

There are two** possible Cyburbians who may want to start a blog here, (in addition to having a blog in another location?). There is also one person who would definitely like to start a blog here.

I don't want to put the two possible people on the spot; posting two links here:
and

The one person who would definitely like to start a blog on Cyburbia is me. Or should I say, Re-start? I kept a small blog here in the late 2000's.

**Who knows, there may be other potential bloggers that I don't know about. I posted the two I saw.

wintergirl

Cyburbian
Two small issues I've noticed:
  • Roughly 1 time out of 3 when I post a post, it seems to end up in some kind of quarantine for moderation, I don't know if this is some kind of malfunctioning anti-spam mechanism!
  • I like dark themes and I cannot lie. The Cyburbia After Dark theme is great, except for the fact that links are the same colour as body text within posts, so you can't tell what's a link and what isn't without mousing over.
Thank you :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Upgraded to Xenforo 2.2.4. :)

• Roughly 1 time out of 3 when I post a post, it seems to end up in some kind of quarantine for moderation, I don't know if this is some kind of malfunctioning anti-spam mechanism!
  • I like dark themes and I cannot lie. The Cyburbia After Dark theme is great, except for the fact that links are the same colour as body text within posts, so you can't tell what's a link and what isn't without mousing over.
Thank you :)
Just saw this. For users with five posts or less, if a post has any spammy keywords or Web addresses, it's sent to a moderation queue. It should be okay.

I'll have a look at the Cyburbia After Dark colo(u)r scheme, and fix the link issue. Thank you for noticing!

EDIT: I still have some fine tuning to do with links in the theme, but I think the changes so far will make navigating the site a bit easier.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You might notice the total post and thread count for the FAC is shrinking. I'm slowly moving old on-topic threads to appropriate Planning and Placemaking subforums as I find them.

Because there's tens of thousands of threads, it's probably a task that will never be finished. Still, ten minutes here and there will help balance out the on-topic and off-topic thread count.

You might notice the total post and thread count for the FAC is shrinking. I'm slowly moving old on-topic threads to appropriate Planning and Placemaking subforums as I find them.

Because there's tens of thousands of threads, it's probably a task that will never be finished. Still, ten minutes here and there will help balance out the on-topic and off-topic thread count.
When we find topics in FAC that almost certainly belong in Planning and Placemaking Subforums, should we let you know with the links?
If so, what's the best way to notify you?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When we find topics in FAC that almost certainly belong in Planning and Placemaking Subforums, should we let you know with the links?
If so, what's the best way to notify you?
You can post them in this new thread. It's best that you post more than just a few threads a time, though. Thank you!

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A few changes.

1) There's now three language choices for the Cyburbia UI; US, US ANSI/ISO, and US international

:usa: US​
:usa: US ANSI/ISO​
:usa: US international​
DateDec 1 20212021-12-011 Dec 2021
Time4:30 PM16:3016:30

2) The Cyburbia After Dark style is tweaked a little bit more.

3) In the default Cyburbia New Blue style, links to sticky threads on subforum pages have a gray background.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The past month, email from Cyburbia to hotmail.com, outlook.com, live.com, and similar free Microsoft email addresses is blocked on the Microsoft end. I put in a support ticket to Microsoft. and I'm seeing what else I can do to fix this.

In the meantime, if you register from a free Microsoft email address, you will not get a confirmation notice. If you now use a free Microsoft address for Cyburbia, and an email bounces, you may have to change it before you can post again. Please do NOT change your email address to a free Microsoft address.