• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Gordon Jump dead at 71

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Goodbye, Big Guy. We hardly knew you.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I sincerely hope that my decision to go with Fridgidaire over Maytag for the new appliances had nothing to do with this.

I really liked WKRP.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Will the world as we know it continue to function? I think not :(

El Feo

Cyburbian
"As God is my witness, I though turkeys could fly."

Loved him on WKRP.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Good one El Feo... that was a classic episode. I also liked: "Like my mother has said on numerous occasions, the least you can do is try to act normal!"

otterpop

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
"As God is my witness, I though turkeys could fly."

Loved him on WKRP.
One of the funniest episodes in all of sit-com. Les Nesman's on--the-air commentary paralleling the Hindenburg disaster was hilarious. Jump's above remark was perfect and in character. The Big Guy was a warm, lovable and befuddled man. I liked him.

Always enjoyed him. Seemed like a nice fellow. Recently Maytag did announce a new Magtag repairman. Now I know why.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Whle many remember him as the Maytag Repair Man or on WKRP...I remember him most for his guest appearance on Diff'rent Strokes where he played a child molester bike store owner that showed Aronld and Dudley naughty cartoons and got Dudley into the bathtub. I think that episode scared me as a kid and that is why I remember Jump in that role.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Big Guy

He fit that part to a tee. Similar to Mclain Stevenson in MASH. The turkey episode was a classic. I also liked when Johnnie had to broadcast from the transmitter and got paranoid about the telephone police getting him; when Johnnie was having LSD flashbacks and when Hoyt Axton camb back as Jennifer's long lost betroved from West Virginia. Its hard to believe that that show was only on for four years and so long ago.

Well, I have to go fix the tape around my office. Bye Big Guy, we'll miss you.

donk

Cyburbian
I liked the fish on his walls and his toys. There are way too many WKRP moments, like the time he put coke on his feet. Johhny told it was the original idea for happy feet.

I also remember the different strokes child molester episode. It scared the hell out of me.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:

I also remember the different strokes child molester episode. It scared the hell out of me.
Yeah - as soon as Repo mentioned it, it was like "holy crap - I remember that. That was Gordon Jump?" Freaky.

I loved the office chair/tail gunner thing - I do that once in while myself...