• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Governing Magazine Catching "Creative Class" Fever?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member

The cover story of the latest issue of Governing Magazine. Haven't read the article yet (just showed up on my desk). My guess is that Mr. Florida will be mentioned extensively....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You used to be able to get Governing for free. You might want to try a bit of social engineering, search through their Web site, and look for subscription information.

As for "The Rise of the Creative Class," its not just about gays. Really, there's just one chapter in the book that deals withthe geography of the creative class. Take the word "Pittsburgh," substitute "Buffalo," and Florida would still be dead on, IMHO. The book repeats what I've been saying about the area for years, only he's got footnotes and the numbers to back it up.

SGB

Cyburbian
Dan said:
You used to be able to get Governing for free. You might want to try a bit of social engineering, search through their Web site, and look for subscription information.

The subscription info can be found here. They do still provide free subscriptions to qualified individuals and organizations. Warning: the subscription comes w/ a !@#$load of junk snailmail. Have your recycling bin handy....

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I get mine free....and not too much junk mail that I can directly attribute to my subscription.....

SGB

Cyburbian
Dan said:
As for "The Rise of the Creative Class," its not just about gays.

'Tis true, indeed. But Florida himself likes to talk about the spike in book sales everytime another article comes out misrepresenting his work.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Started reading it and then someone came in to bitch. I'll have to take it home and finish it.